Read 20 comments as:
Filter By
Office has started. I'm staying in a hotel. Have no friends in Mumbai. I have lots of lots of work. So much work that I don't think asking for leave is gonna be appreciated, and I expect this rush to continue. How will I find a house? How do I do it???

How are you guys doing it? Nobody talks about practical aspects like these. Two other colleagues in different teams are in the same boat.
Checkout the suitable routes to your firm and for how long you're willing to travel then join some facebook groups related to PG and flats, sometimes you can find a deal without brokerage which is a huge chunk initially.
Get contacts of and call up multiple brokers - tell them your requirements and ask them to send pictures/ videos. Shortlist 4-5 places across the options shared by brokers and make sure these are all places which absolutely work for you or can work for you with small compromises - check them out on the upcoming long weekend. If Friday is not possible, do it on Saturday and Sunday. Maybe even get them all done on Saturday since they will probably be in an around Lower Parel (I'm assuming you are either from CAM or Trilegal). Take flatmate/s along or video call them if they can't come. If staying alone, you make the decisions. Finalise 1 out of the 4-5 options you had picked and make sure you try bargaining the rent with the broker or owner. You can pay the token amount to book or if you want to shift immediately, get the lease formalities done. The broker will usually bring this to your house itself. Brokerage is usually one month's rent and deposit is three months' rent. Shifting will take another day. Maybe save that for the next weekend. Or, if the firm is making you move (which they probably are) then ask them for at least a day of leave for shifting. Lastly, places around Lower Parel are expensive. Don't have too many unreasonable demands, and if you do, be willing to pay the price.

Lastly, don't worry. You'll find friends. And a house. The work will go on forever. Better get used to working around the work. :)

Good luck!
Quote:
Maybe even get them all done on Saturday since they will probably be in an around Lower Parel (I'm assuming you are either from CAM or Trilegal).
Not the OP, but in a similar situation. Just curious would the suggested areas remain the same in case of ELP, Nariman Point? If not, what areas would you suggest for a 1 or a 2 bhk? Would the commute from Thane or Navi Mumbai be too much?
Super bump, especially for the query on the commute from Navi Mumbai.
I have heard of people working at Nariman Point and living anywhere between Andheri to Colaba (the Sobo people usually have family homes though). One suggestion someone had given to me was to stay in Chembur because the rent is comparatively cheaper and the area is peaceful. The freeway makes cab travel fast but the local is good as well, although you will have to change trains twice.

For Navi Mumbai and Thane - it should take you anywhere between 1-1.5 hours on the train alone and then additional travel time to and from station to office/ home brings it to 1.5-2 hours. That's just one way. If your office hours are reasonable maybe you could do 3-4 hours of travel but I would advise against it - specially if you are working for a Tier 1 and can afford to spend a little bit more on acco.
Thank you! I will definitely try these tips after 2 weeks. I don't even have time to poop and pee.. Weekend will be working.. Lean team you see.

Once this settles I'm gonna seek out covid patients and get myself infected. #superspreader
Start paying rent for your office premises. Save on electricity and water charges.
Just ask for it.

You've been called back from hometown to attend office, so take the time to get a house in a city where your office is.

If you want to be extra nice, go on the weekend.

Just give your team a heads up. Try this:

Hello Senior, I have been staying in a hotel since I got back and have not been able to find a house as we have been really busy. This is not a sustainable option for me and I thought I would have time but have not been able to take it out. Today is Wedensday, and I have fixed time with the broker for Saturday morning and Sunday morning (if needed). Will need that time to find a house. Happy to work on deliverables around this.
I already asked. Was shut down. It's like a non-issue for them.

I'm expected to show up to work as well..
Cut the hierarchy ladder and go up, if your PA refused ask your partner instead.
Quit the team man. It is highly insensitive and irresponsible of them.
Agree with 5.2.2 - this is a red flag and long term you will not be able to sustain in this team as they clearly do not care. Cut your losses and get out.
Stop living in a hotel. Tell your partner you cannot come to office because you haven't been able to shift for which you need 3 days' time at least. If he doesn't approve, continue working from home.
Facebook groups like flats and flatmates might help, you can check those whenever you get 5 mins off in office.
Quietly move all your stuff in the office drawers, shower in the office and just start living there. It may be a few months before anyone notices or even questions.