Read 31 comments as:
Filter By
As I understand, CAM has positions such as Consultant, Senior Consultant, Director etc which I haven't heard of in other firms. Could someone explain what each mean and where it falls within the usual hierarchy in other firms?
IMO,CAM bashing happens because imo,CAM is the worst law firm.The OP is just inquiring, but you have probably guessed tgat the issue of ranks is going to throw up comments where deserving people were not given promotion and given stupid ranks as appeasements.Putting on drama of being targeted won't work to hush up the stupid titles and how they are just one more hurdle to deserved promotions.
Law firms are already very toxic , but CAM takes the cake for being the worst one .
LI has reported some news about CAM but I have heard even worse experiences.Its not like other firms are perfect but the stories heard about there aren't so bad.Smaller platforms indeed do seem much better.
Are you CAM PR?or employee?oh wait,maybe the HR who cannot offer any explanation for some of these ridiculous title or even for that salary cut last year.CAM bashing happens because CAM thinks and treats retainers as disposables.Cant blame the retainers.
Even before the pandemic,there used to be a lot of issues exposed by retainers about CAM on LI.
Afaik, the director level designations are usually for those professionals who aren't qualified lawyers but are at the same level as a partner. Eg. a tax partner who may be a CA. Similar logic I guess for junior to mid-level members who are designated as consultants or senior consultants. In some cases, however, like I saw in my team a couple of years ago - consultants may also be folks who lateral to the firm from a tier 3 setup and are at a different (read: much lower) pay scale all together.

This isn't just CAM, mate, you can see this in other Tier 1 firms as well. It's a common practice.
It's not that common a practice to other firms,it's probably common at CAM.Wetent here promotions to Director level of internal enployees(oops,..retainers)?By the time the person who accepted that "title" or "rank" realises it's ornamental-only value(read, money terms not that good) it. might be late for options.
I disagree. Check out the Trilegal and KCO. You'll find directors there as well.
Are you suggesting that a person who is smart enough to have risen through the CAM hierarchy andbecome a PA, has no idea that the the title or rank s "ornamental only" before it's too late? Mighty presumptuous of you, no?
https://www.legallyindia.com/lawfirms/cam-promotes-6-to-director-31-new-pas-63-sas-20210510-12090

If CAM promoted 6 fee earners to Director level, the designation cannot just for outsiders.And fee earners would mean these are qualified lawyers.And as OP says,the query on ranks is because it's not seen with other firms so it's not really common with other firms.
Read my comment carefully. Did I mention directors are lateral hires? Did I mention mention that these are for non-fee earning roles?

The lateral hires comment was only for consultants or senior consultants. Which is factually true. Do your research.

Fyi, non-lawyers can be fee earners too. Look at the tax practices of law firms for CA's, gen corp teams that hire CS' or patent agents with IP firms.

I appreciate your comment but I'd request you to check your own facts first, before checking mine.

Peace.
Read your own comment?it said that director level usually not for qualified lawyers.Check the LI article Director promotions - there are qualified lawyers.At that level or prior level when they were promoted,they were and are fee earners also.So Director level to qualified lawyers fee earners is applied,right?fact check your own comment first.The comment is stated from promotion view of why a director title and not partner or partner designate.
Consultant = associate but too old to be A3
Senior consultant = senior associate but too old to be SA3
Director = principal associate but please find an in house role fast
Partner = want to but cannot give you equity / but please recover all bills or leave
Practice head = forced to give you equity because clients know you by now but family comes first
Managing partner = this position is currently not available

Trust this clarifies.
I guess then designate title means like say senior associate designate title means associate we don't want to promote to senior associate but if we don't promote you will leave creating chaos and work so the title Senior Associate Designate?Can it be hoped that fools you for some time till you leave by which time firm would be well prepared to deal with your exit?
Also add:

1. Partner Designate
2. Principal Associate Designate
3. Senior Associate Designate
4. Associate Designate (ok I am kidding here)
4. Director Designate
6. Mouthful of BD, PR and HR roles

Intern Designate is still missing
The single largest contribution the Amarchands had to Indian law firm sector was the introduction of the β€˜designate’ title. What a master stroke!!!
I thought the single biggest contribution of CAM is the introduction of the Sangeet!
No 1 can simplify the ranks because they are created as per whims and fancy of management.Dont think any1 can provide all details of how the titles for into the hierarchy
I think these are all feel good designations that don't get on-par treatment with the designations within the traditional hierarchy.Chances of these designations being on the lower pay side of the comparable experience designation is also there.
So, I believe at the core of this is the idea that they will not give you a designation until they believe you have gone through the gauntlet. Despite you making the cut in every way. Basically not home grown.

But sometimes at the lower level, they do this because they're not sure but need the bodies. Or they're not sure about you.

At the higher levels I've seen its usually people who have come from outside aka not home grown. CAM is after all all very biased towards its home grown talent. I guess it applies to most firms. I'm not home grown anywhere. I have always felt like I've been given a step motherly treatment at such "blue blood" places.