Read 74 comments as:
Filter By
I have seen IAS with Mercedes, Audi, Porsche and all the luxury cars that you can imagine. As far as I know, their basic pay even after 10+ years is not more than 80-90k but they're buying lands worth 10-20 crores every year and cars worth 80l-1cr. How much corruption is there in this profession?
1. For those who indulge in corruption, there's no limit. Minimum bribes can be 1Cr for them. I know of senior IAS with net worth of well over 100 Cr. (Though 100Cr annual is a stretch).

2. Many officers' spouses and kids have lucrative jobs, and they thus afford the Audis and all, all legitimately. This is true for several lower judicial services officers in Delhi also.

3. Some officers come from extremely affluent families, and inherit vast properties.

In the last two options, there's nothing illegal or unethical. Also, I don't think you'll find many government officers - IAS or whatever - buying cars worth 80L-1Cr in their own name. :)
"" I know of senior IAS with net worth of well over 100 Cr "".....such a shame, you know and the Income Tax department doesn't. Did he personally tell this to you? Don't reply, I am obviously taking a dig.
I can can u from my personal experience that IRS are generally corrupt if not all than atleast 90% of them are. Try to recall any IFS officer who hasn't got a plush house in a Tier-1 city.

We all know the truth irrespective of being so call unbiased or irrational.

If you do not be believe please send a day with any CA in ant GST office any you will see bitter reality.
It’s true (3). I know an NLU-IAS who comes from an UHNI family. Why people like that even want to slog for a glorified/outdated administrator job I will never know. I also know a Haryana based IAS officer who are worth over a 1000 crores in real estate alone.
only a stupid law school going, tier 1 firm obsessed myopic idiot would refer to the IAS as a "glorified/outdated administrator job"
Not really. I consider both IAS and Tier One law firm jobs as overhyped.
OP you are trolling here I am guessing. Yes it is true that no IAS officer, just from his salary, can afford Porsche and 20 crores worth of land every year. Hell it will be even difficult for a moderately corrupt officer to afford all that. Assuming that some officer is corrupt he/she will still not show off by buying a Porsche. That would straight away be an invitation call for an Income Tax raid and unaccounted wealth proceedings. The only logical way I can remotely foresee an IAS officer having Porsche is if it is not in his name and his spouse is earning enough to buy it or if they come from old money/daddy's money (But I am yet to see an Ambani or Adani's son wanting to be an IAS officer. Being an IAS officer is largely the Indian middle class dream. This of course is slowly changing and kids these days have thousands of avenues apart from government jobs). Another truth bomb that I will like to drop is that for corruption income it is better to be a lower level officer for eg say a RTO or a BDO or Sub-registrar even a Junior Engineer in PWD, you know like someone who is not always in the limelight (unlike a DM who always is). It is the lower level officers who enjoy the most of corruption made money, but even they often flaunt it post retirement or after VRS.
Here's how this works:
You are a high ranking IAS.
Some company wants to get their file cleared from you.
They will 'hire' your son/daughter/wife, with an insane offer, and 1 year's notice clause in the offer.
You will clear the file.
They will terminate the contract. And pay their 'employee' the one year's salary, for doing nothing.

Source? Been there, seen that.
The bribes don’t just stay at the bottom. They go right up to the top. But these low level bribes are peanuts. The money mostly comes from builders, infrastructure contractors, Industry owners and so on. There are certain appointments where they make a minimum of 100cr. There’s an internal setting wherein every officer gets his chance.
First - It is not a profession, it is a government service.
Second - those who buy this much and showcase it so publicly have valid clean sources of white money to show for it, which are most certainly not based on their hard income from the services.
Third - if these are based out of black money, they will do everything to de-link it from their own name and in any case, it is disservice to the country and the people you are supposed to be serving in the first place if you are buying yourself cars worth 1 CR+ out of black money.
Probably there are a very few IAS who could do that or you are just trolling. Any IAS even if he/she is corrupt would actually try to avoid such ostentatious display of wealth lest tax departments and other govt agencies or media get a whiff of what he/she is up to. Salary wise even the cabinet secretary's salary would be way way less than a law firm partner, so there is no way an IAS can afford all that just based on salary. Gone are the 20th century days when an IAS officer used to be among the highest earning individuals in India. (my parents were however still under this illusion). And even if they are corrupt they will anyways try to avoid a mad display of money. I come from a family of government servants and can confirm the only IAS in my family who has a luxury car is the one whose wife is earning more than him and the car has been bought in her name. So a few officers who do show off luxury cars have it bought in the name of their wives. Another pointer that I have learnt in course of my first hand exposure to IAS life (due to parents) is that very few direct IAS officers are actually corrupt and it is mostly those who are promoted from state services that end up doing corruption. The reason is simple a direct IAS is often more talented and educated (and one would assume better paid, civilized, law abiding, law fearing and with a conscientious soul....but obviously this is not a general rule). The state service officers get promoted from lower ranks, where the salary is quite less and they are more than often obviously not from rich families, so they learn corruption very early in their lives. In small towns and villages of India being corrupt is the only way a SALARIED person can earn money, at least that is the perception. You will never see an IIT Delhi person trying to aim for a state civil service, they will always target direct UPSC for an IAS post. A brutal truth is that most of the state service officers do not have that kind of educational pedigree. Also being part of state services they are mostly serving in the state they were born in, so they know the local language, local customs, local traditions which translates into more contacts with local goons and local politicians and local contractors. They often have 15 to 20 years of experience before they become an IAS. These local politicians/local goons then end up being MLAs/ministers in the ruling party and hence naturally favor these state service officers for creamy positions of industry heads, PSU CEOs and even DM posts because these officers know the state and the cities so well and also fully understand the whole politicians-contractors-goons-bureaucrats nexus. Naturally the whole angle of corruption is more here. While a lot of direct IAS officers come from IITs/IIMs/NLUs/AIIMS/DU etc where they anyways had a great shot at a well paying private job or corporate job and they have intentionally sacrificed money and foreign job offers to actually serve the nation and earn respect from public. Anyone who only joins the services for respect, passion and serving the nation will have lesser chances of corruption. The pay for direct IAS if not great is at least decent. So one can say they are generally satisfied in their lives and will think twice before breaking a law. It being an all India service you are mostly NOT serving in your home state. A person from Bihar serving in Tamil Nadu has natural inhibitions in interacting with the local contractors or local politicians or assimilating in the local culture and this inhibition actually translates to more distance between officers and local politicians. There is a language and culture deficit. The more friendly and acquainted people are the higher the chances of corruption and unwanted offers. See Gangajal and draw comparison between Ajay Devgan's character and DSP Bhurelal. You may or may not want to accept it, but this is the truth.
Can't believe that I read this entire piece and it ended with quoting Gangajal !
The amount of prejudice you have against state Service officers is appalling.
Oh boy, things your parents told you! While there's certainly corruption in lower ranks of government, to think IAS officers are generally more 'civilised and less money minded' is such a delusion. Most secys in the government demand bribes in lakhs, if not crores.

Just show your wife earns money from "consultancy", your kid gives other kids "coaching" and show all that black money as their income and make them white.
I think he/she meant that his/her parents are IAS and hence what the person is saying is their first hand experience.
I am actually amazed that how much faltu ka tym u PPL have and especially when u r not in that particular post period!! Bro don't have this feeling for state services I know PPL Fromm iits and nits who r appearing for this exam
IAS with a Porsche???? You are clearly joking or your parents have imbibed unhealthy obsession stories of IAS in you (as most service class north Indian parents do)
Just roam around the sectors in Noida where government officials live and you'll eat your words there itself.
you are highly mistaken! their earnings are not that much! I have seen IAS officers with networth Rs 2500-5000 cr only.
2500-5000 crore ONLY? man you have REALLY,REALLY high standards, if you think that 2500-5000cr ONLY, is a small amount
A 23-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
HahahaπŸ˜€.This luxury life is for very sort span of time ,An ias officer who was able to made his empire approx 253 crore,but couldn't able to explain how he did that ,and from where he got that much amount .Income Tax department submitted a report against him,and this whole empire is just vanished , reputation is also gone .πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Many people here are bereft of reality. it is not difficult for IAS / IPS / IRS officers to earn in crores. It is an open secret. Everybody in the services knows about it.

Tenders / Law & Order / Excise & Revenue / Construction / Mining / Permits / Smuggling etc.

100 cr per year is a nominal figure for a civil servant posted at the right place. I know throughs someone an IPS officer who earned 100 crores in the span of 8 months in a place that is known for mining and lies very close to a state where there is prohibition. He cribbed that he could only get so much after the hefty amount paid to secure that plum posting.
bro my dad also gave bribe to ias also to pass tender and not interfere
It's not just IAS but IRS.
I knew a girl in Law College many many years back. She was below average in studies. Basically desi turned modern in looks and accent. She would tell each and every person that she is Income Tax Commissioners daughter. Through her father she even got a placement which a more deserving candidate could have utilized to feed his or her family. Later she got placement at top positions in top MNCs across India. After that she got top placement in Europe. Now she is settled with a top position in Canada. Both her siblings are also having good jobs. They have property at various places in big cities in India and abroad. Such people don't leave any proof of corruption but everyone can smell the corruption in their family.
Moral of the story: She is not likable. Nobody likes her. She looks sad no matter how much she dresses up. Nobody respects her or her family. There is something called Law of Karma and sooner or later it gets them. In the end they are known as a corrupt family. They might be already suffering but we don't know in which way. #karma
Likeable? tujhe bada pata hai uske bare mein. Also, what's wrong or corrupt about using status positions for contact/ network based job opportunities? So if my classmate gets an internship at Trilegal in the 2nd Year because his father is XYZ senior partner, is it corruption really?
IRS is also more powerful in legal/commercial circles due to the sheer power of the pen - as they also have penal powers and authority over individuals and corporations

Plus the connections with counsel and legal teams in firms
You are very wrong....When an IAS officer reaches the post of senior DM or the senior collector then his/her basic pay is 95000 at approximately 11 years of service....Though you are saying correct that it's not sufficient to buy audi or such a luxurious car....
dafaq is senior DM? Did someone rewrite CrPC already?

Please be restricted to the UPSC v. IAS thread. lol.
You don’t know how money works

Your network is your net worth

As an IAS officer he will have a great network of people in top hierarchy

He/She can start a business with any family member

and move the documents with ease
black money hierarchy -

Ministers - Billions in swiss accounts

high level MPs - Billions

Low level MPs - Millions

State ministers - billions

MLAs- millions

IAS/IPS - Millions
Bhai, dekho corruption kaise hota hai.

Let's say we have a scheme called Clean India Mission. In this scheme, 1-5 lakh toilets will be built all across the state for the use of public. Now, the scheme will be completed, toilets complexes will be inaugurated, all toilets will work fine too. So, no issues anywhere.

Here is the trickery. All the toilets will have a standard door. This means the door will be designed by some Govt. agency and will have very clear specifications on the material use. As in 50% steel usage, 20% iron usage etc. What these guys will do is instead of using 50% steel of standard X, they will use 20% steel of Standard X, and 30% of extremely substandard steel.

There is (actually there are ways, but they aren't approved or put in cold storage) no way to check the standard of each of these 5 lakh toilets. And you as a one time user, will never feel the difference. If only, someday, there is a very windy afternoon, then when you doing your business, due to the substandard material use, door will open and people might see your ___.

The point is, the corruption is extremely large-scale and fairly technical. You won't even see the difference. Now think of all the marble and tiles laid on footpaths, and similar type of projects.

The work is done. The work is used by the public. The work is a success. This is a successful corruption way. Then you won't get caught. Ab paper leak kariyega, full gaban kar lijiyega toh andar jaiyega hi.