Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
I was very disturbed to see this on Bar & Bench: https://www.barandbench.com/apprentice-lawyer/white-washing-occupation-terminology-human-rights-society-jgu

It is not my case that Israel has not committed human rights violations, but China and Pakistan have committed atrocities that are a million times worse, if you add them all up:

1. Genocide against Tibetans, Uyghur Muslims, Baluchis and Bangladeshis. `
2. Atrocities against Hindus and Christians in Pakistan
3. Support to North Korea by China and Taliban by Pakistan.
4. Nuclear proliferation to North Korea
5. China claiming South China Sea despite order by ITLOS Tribunal
6. Organ harvesting of political prisoners by China
7. Atrocities against Falun Gong by China
8. Ethnic cleansing of Kashmiri Pandits
9. Tiananmen Square pogrom and jailing of pro-democracy supporters by China

Why is the Human Rights Society at Jindal silent on this? Why is the title of the conference "Occupation" but only Palestine being discussed, not Tibet, Xinjiang and Baluchistan? Why is Israel the only villain in the eyes of the left?

These are legitimate questions and I hope LI will not censor them. The left has been silent on China and Pakistan for far too long. I find it shameful that an Indian university is organising such an event.
This is a Khaby Lame moment. This is being organized by Professor Nawal Hend at JGU who is herself a Palestinian. I mean she's organizing a virtual guest lecture about her nation, why would she care about Pakistan or China? She knows her fellow Palestinian lawyers and is inviting them. How would she invite or even know Uighur lawyers? You're taking the title of the conference in a very elaborate sense, the title has been drafted only in relation to palestine. Conferences by societies or professors are organised in their own personal capacity, the university does not help in facilitating speakers for every little guest lecturer so it only seems practical for a Palestinian professor?
You mean Jindal is giving its name for a professor to run anti semitic hobby horses?
Jindal also is one of the only few universities to have an exclusive MoU with Israel in the field of education and a lot of Israeli students and professors coming to Jindal for lectures and student exchange. These professors and students in their lectures also justify their occupation and talk about Islamic terrorist attacks. Now would you consider that to be Jindalโ€™s endorsement of islamophobia and occupation of palestinian land? (Thereby also providing legitimacy to such occupation)

Thereโ€™s something called freedom of speech for all perspectives. And anti-semitism is a huge word for usage, you are equating a mere academic criticism to anti-semitism, are you even serious? Are you intending to say that just because anti-semitism exists, Israel being a jewish state is immune from any criticism? India and Pakistan separated on grounds of majoritarian religions. You have asked for the Human rights society to criticise Pakistan too. Extending your logic of anti-semitism here, Pakistan is an islamic state, wouldnโ€™t that be endorsement of Islamophobia by Jindal?

The discussion is entirely academic and jurisprudential in nature, I do not understand how that becomes endorsement to โ€œrun anti semitic hobby horsesโ€
"Your criticism of X is invalid because you have not also criticised A, B and C"

Identify the logical fallacy. (1 mark)
Rephrasing for you:

"Your criticism of X is unsound because you have not also criticised A, B and C"

Identify the logical fallacy. (1 mark)
Mike Drucker
@MikeDrucker -

Twitter is fun because you get to be like, โ€œDucks are goodโ€ and someone in your mentions will go, โ€œUm, Iโ€™m sorry but my brother is married to a duck scientist and this is a harmful viewโ€ and then someone else pops up going, โ€œYour silence about horses is extremely tellingโ€

12:16 AM ยท Jun 8, 2019ยทTwitter for iPhone
This is a stupid question.
Talking about a specific issue does not diminish other issues.
If you want to criticise it for happening, by all means do so, but it is lazy to point to other things.
If I wanted to do a symposium on Uighurs, why should I talk about some tortured tribe in the Amazon to be legitimate?
Take a hike.