Read 22 comments as:
Filter By
Do you know of any foreign firms other than Linklaters/A&O/HSF who have hired Indian students directly out of college?

While I know these three firms have India Internships, do you know of anyone who applied through the normal UK Training Contract/Vac Scheme route for these firms as an international applicant and got through? Are there any other foreign firms where Indian Students have applied under the international applicant category and got a Training Contract/Vac Scheme? I've heard that Clifford Chance and Norton Rose used to hire a few years back, but I couldn't come across anyone who has directly gotten a Training Contract recently.

Would be grateful for any help with this. Thank you so much!
Thanks! Are you referring to the direct Training Contract route or the Vac Scheme route?
I know people from my university had gotten BCLP training contracts and CC, Norton Rose had reached out for final interviews.
But A&O, Linklaters and HSF are still the best bets. They're moving towards hiring from a more diverse range of colleges too.
what university? are these firms selective in terms of the brand of the law school?
I'm from a tier 1 NLU.
Yes, they have been fairly selective but are loosening up more and more now. If you're from the top 5 NLUs you have a good shot. Last year was the first time a Symbiosis grad was offered a TC by Links.
Who got the BCLP Training Contract? This is the first I'm hearing of it.
A&O doesn't want to hire from india anymore, gotten info from HR themselves. That's why they've only taken around 4 people in the last 3 years
Checks out with the trickle number of vac schemes offered this time around as well.
Thanks for replying! The BCLP hire that you mentioned- is it a recent hire, and was it a direct training contract route? I couldn't apply to A&O, Linklaters and HSF for their India internship programs, which is why I'm looking at the alternate route in other firms.

If possible, could you please direct me to any of the people you mentioned- I'd reach out to them to ask for help in the process. The entire process is quite confusing, and more so because I could not come across any Indian student who opted for/got through the direct TC route. Thank you so much!
MC firms are impractical to choose for Indian students....you have to study 2.5-3 years before you start the TC(Assuming you clear both the SQEs which are gonna be quite tough, overly competitive as even brit students have to write it and newly instituted) which pays measly in UK living standards which doesn't get better later.
Better choose to litigate in India.
I know this is ridiculous to talk abt this here, but if we wanna improve our lives and careers these are the talks we needa be doing
what are you saying? firstly, you've got to study for 18 months which is not a lot considering that you're going to be wedded to this career for a really long time. Yes, the SQE is tough but don't forget that career changers/non-law students in the UK are going to take the same route, Indian law students still know more than them. What do you even mean when you say these exams are "competitive", this isn't zero-sum , there is no bar on how many students can clear it, this isn't the CLAT. Lastly, I read a post on this forum by an LLM student from London who said that he was able to live sufficiently well with 15k GBP per year. Trainees get upwards of 50k GBP in their first year and 55k GBP in the second. NQs get 100k at all the MC firms and even if you factor in the tax considerations, it will still leave you with a lot of money to live a decent life in London.

How can you suggest litigation as an option to a person who wants to join law firms? Why don't you build something as big as Zerodha and become a billionaire? Clearly, the number one reason why people are after law firms is so that they can start making money from the get go. Not everyone has the luxury to make 15k per month for a long time. Please don't misguide if you can't do your research properly. OP probably doesn't have any contacts and will take your advice as gospel and never question it again.
As an individual who has accepted a TC at a Magic Circle firm - I would like to refute all of this.

You do not have to study for two years before starting. You do not need to do the GDL or LPC or any other conversion course as the Indian Degree is recognised in the UK.

You have to clear the SQE which you will have to prepare for while doing the training contract itself. You can make it easier by giving SQE 1 right after graduation in India itself and the SQE 2 in London.

All students, UK and Indians have to give the SQE. Your SQE coaching and the exam fees is funded by the firm itself.

Since you move from India, the firm also provides you a few thousand pounds to help you move, pays for your flights and helps you find accommodation.

The pays for trainee solicitors are in the range of £50 and £55k. And two years later it is £100,000 minimum plus bonus.

Needless to say, London is fairly expensive. Still a single person can live pretty comfortably in London on the Trainee salary itself. The post qualification salary gives you a lot of room to save.

Readers of Legally India, please do apply to these firms. My experience at them was far better than any Indian tier 1 firm I was at - because they actually treat you like persons and not just cogs in a machine. Hope this helps.
Hey, is there anyway I can Connect with you? I'm a clat aspirant and I'm aspiring to join a magic circle firm in the future and would like to know a bit more about it in depth. Is it possible if I get your official email id or something?
rof: https://www.rollonfriday.com/discussion/mad-continuing-city-pay-war-whats-driving-insanity

li is rof of india

there have been several discussions on money in uk v ind, for the first 5 (2+3) years UK wins handsomely, after that ppp kicks in and India wins
You will be earning 10k per year during your 18 month PGDL (check the website bro) followed by a 6 month SQE1 prep course, and if you qualify the SQE1, another 6-8 months of SQE2 preparation following which you may not even get a TC at a magic circle (as you assume for that 40k and then 100k) tho (they have clearly expressed their intention not to hire Indians, only to be made worse in 2-3 yrs).
I don't know about your friend, I have plenty of them in Canary W, you may have to live with your friends for these years, and would require your parents to budge out some pounds.
FYI, this new harsh route was essentially made to curb international students being admitted, and financially sound humans should realise that going through this is a debt trap.
And I am not misguiding OP, I am helping him understand that the "magic circle allure" is a facade and you should consider working in India, then lateral out to an MC/ Biglaw firm later.
https://ukgraduates.freshfields.com/_uploads/downloads/CityConsortiumSQEgraduaterecruitmentflyer.pdf

Look at the entire journey, PGDL is for 8 months only and not 18 months, bhai mere. Plus, what do you mean when you say that you'll be "earning 10k per year"? The PGDL is a course and the 10k GBP figure is a maintenance grant that the applicant is given to survive in London. It's not a job. The PGDL is not even compulsory, the magic circle firms make you do it and it's more of a prep course and a precursor to SQE so that you can perform well in SQE1 and SQE2.

Secondly, read OP's post again. He is aiming for the direct TC route and once he gets a TC from an MC firm, THE FIRM PAYS FOR ALL OF YOUR QUALIFICATIONS (PGDL + SQE + CITY CONSORTIUM PROGRAM). It'd be crazy to self-fund these qualifications as an Indian law student but OP was never really planning to go down that route.