Read 25 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an A1 (been 10 months since I joined law firm since uni) Earlier I was in a banking team. It was hectic and too clerical for me. So I took an opportunity and switched to an m&a team (been 4 months). Its been a few months and I barely have any work and don't feel like I'm learning enough skills.
Should I stick it out here itself and wait to get more knowledge or switch to a different firm?
Will I even be hired by a different firm? Seeing as how little experience I have in m&a (correction not done a full deal deal also yet).
It has just been 10 months. And only 4 months with M&A. Give yourself and the firm a chance. If there is too much work, we cry and crib on LI. If there is no work, we cry and crib on LI. Just give things time.
It's the nature of the job. M&A activity can swing both ways in extremes. Give it some time.
Are you getting the same pay - if yes. Then it's 100 times better than overwork.
Yaaa cause this sounds like the second rotation for a person. Not all law firms let you change teams this easily.
How is that possible,CAM generally has a lot or some of M&A work,rite?
True Facts about Gurgaon Office
1. FAM (Factual analysis matrix ) is another name given by our office to us;
2. A0 are being called as "Freshers" by the management;
3. Management in Gurgaon office work in day/ night shifts. MP can call anyone at anytime no matter what and behaves very rudely;
4. Only some people are given increments as per the wish;
5. We just attend weekly meetings and send work done report.
6. Managing Partner herself snatched away phones of associates who use phones. [usage of phones are banned in office]- lady hitler hai bhai;
7. Very few good seniors
But.. why would someone work at this place? I mean... WHY!? Sorry for my naivety. I am a second year student (5 year course).
Oh what I wouldn't give to know the name of this firm and the team.
So, your problem in life that's keeping you up at night on LI is that you're getting 1L+ a month for doing no work? WOW.
My problem is that I’m not doing much work so that means I won’t be around in the firm or that the partner’s team won’t exist anymore. The team also doesn’t really have that much work at the moment.
If that's your problem, then don't worry, that won't happen. It's the nature of M&A teams to have work in cycles.
Be grateful that in your free time, the partner is not forcing you to write some useless articles.

Also, agree with above comments, on giving it time. 4 months is too less, work comes in cycles..
Ofc you will get hired by abitger firm,if your Tier1 does not have that much m&a work figure out wheres the work and apply/switch to that firm.You would probably know about which firm does have better M&A deals and work if your firm doesn't.
Figure if the reduced work is because of a cyclw or just that your partner doesnt have enough work. Are your team members also getting less work? If they are busy, then your partner doesnt like or trust you. Here- you should move teams or firms immediately. Now is the time you learn. After 6 months, your firm/other firms will assume you know worth a 2 year associate who has been busy with deals. The expectation benchmark for you will be higher than your actual experience- and that will get you stuck in a rut with promotions and low bonus' every where you go- eventually making you lose a year.

Jump ship/teams and spend your time learning. This is the time you can plead ignorance and ask stupid questions. 1 year down, you wont be able to.

3 cents (1 extra)
guys please help me where should i apply any law firm you guys would suggest ? i am a ballb passout from ggsipu and llm corporate law post graduate from amity law school noida . please help