Read 65 comments as:
Filter By
Isha Singh, 2018 NLS - IPS
Anmol Mittal, 2020 NLUD - AIR 91
Saahil Khare, 2019 NLIU - 243.

Keep adding to this list, guys!
This comment is Precisely why this thread should be deleted. If you want to know UPSC result go check other internet sources.
Giving undue credit to these universities for what is entirely due to the personal effort and tenacity of individual students is nothing short of an insult to the latter.
We should be careful before doing an NLU-wise ranking of UPSC performance. UPSC has many services, but only the IAS, IFS and IPS are the truly prestigious ones because they traditionally get the most powerful and important posts. There are many cases of NLU alumni getting services like IRS or Forest Service and appearing for UPSC against to get one of the Big 3 services. So we need to see how which NLU got how many Big 3 services.

Below is the full list of services, other than the Big 3. Few people have heard of any them.

Central Labour Service (CLS)
Central Engineering Services (CES)
Central Engineering Services (Roads) (CES(Roads))
Central Secretariat Service (CSS)
Indian Audit and Accounts Service (IA&AS)
Indian Civil Accounts Service (ICAS)
Indian Corporate Law Service (ICLS)
Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS)
Indian Defence Accounts Service (IDAS)
Indian Defence Estates Service (IDES)
Indian Defence Service of Engineers (IDSE)
Indian Economic Service (IES)
Indian Foreign Service (IFS)
Indian Information Service (IIS)
Indian Ordnance Factories Service (IOFS)
Indian Post & Telecommunication Accounts and Finance Service (IPTAFS)
Indian Railway Service of Engineers (IRSE)
Indian Railway Service of Mechanical Engineers (IRSME)
Indian Railway Service of Electrical Engineers (IRSEE)
Indian Railway Service of Signal Engineers (IRSSE)
Indian Railway Stores Service (IRSS)
Indian Railway Accounts Service (IRAS)
Indian Railway Personnel Service (IRPS)
Indian Railway Traffic Service (IRTS)
Indian Revenue Service (IRS)
Indian Revenue Service (Custom & Indirect Taxes) (IRS-C&IT)
Indian Revenue Service (Income Tax) (IRS-IT)
Indian Statistical Service (ISS) Indian Telecommunication Service (ITS)
Indian Radio Regulatory Service (IRRS)
Indian Trade Service (ITrS)
@Comment 5

You don't make any sense. Many of the mentioned services are not through UPSC CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATION.
And in the opinion of an anon troll with zero achievements in life, people who put in their lives' work into each of these invaluable services for the country aren't worth anything at all. slow clap Every time I think LI readership cannot get any 'scummier', I am surprised all anew.
Big 3 I think it would be NLS and NLUD ahead of the rest of the pack by a mile.
Ghanta! NLS maybe because of early mover advantage. NLUD has got a long way to catch up. Not all NLUs advertise the UPSC performance of their grads. Most don't even keep track of such things. So you all only get to know what's posted and bandied about.
Salary wise it is not, but sometimes people are looking at respect and a convoluted sense of power associated with it more than the pay. Why convoluted? Because ideally speaking there should be no more power than required to do your departmentally mandated work. But people see this power as a free pass to get around/bypass the daily hurdles of life or get favors etc or intimidate people. Wrong concept, but remnants of a colonial hangover. I saw a new york police commissioner addressing a commin citizen as Sir, in India a senior government official would behave exactly the opposite, thinking that the average citizen is his slave.
Having to follow the orders of illiterate politicians versus the orders of a Cyril or Zia, who at least know to distinguish between their front and backsides, hmm... that's a tough choice. Law firm also offers a lot of choice to those who don't like their team/firm. What are you going to do in the services, resign and give UPSC all over again?
1. Having to follow orders of the representatives of people (however much we may dislike that fact) versus small-time businessmen who treat you as their sweat shop workers.

2. Lots of choices - totally, move from one depressed projects team working 16 hours a day to another depressed GC team working 14 hours a day in the hope of a better work life balance and because 'M&A is the shiz bro'. People resigning from UPSC usually get into very high positions - check out Ashwini Vaishnav for a rough idea.

3. Highest level: Partners at the peak of their careers advising clients on clauses of an acquisition agreement/resolution plan versus secretary at the peak of their careers being the CCI/IBBI Chairman and Finance Secretary formulating the rules of the game.

4. Lowest level: Doing due diligence of pending claims and liabilities of the company versus being the SDM who imposed that fine in the first place.
Who do you think these Cyrils and Zias work for? Corporates who fund and kiss said politicians' backsides.
I'm unsure of where you get the idea that politicians are a class of only illiterate people. A considerably high number of politicians have degrees - most state's cabinet ministers usually have attained higher education. The union cabinet also contains ministers who're pretty well qualified.

As an aside, it's incredibly shitty to call people "illiterate" when you live in a country with a relatively average literacy rate. A large number of people who live in India are not educated - it does not make them any worse than partners at corporate law firms.

[i]Having to follow the orders of illiterate politicians versus the orders of a Cyril or Zia, who at least know to distinguish between their front and backsides,[/I]

I'm fairly certain you're labouring under some massive delusion. A politician with as many years' of experience as Cyril/Zia will absolutely run circles around them, you muppet.

Power in a democracy does not flow from some sweatshop-like firm, boss. A person who has been in politics for 40-50 years has incredible communication skills, extremely good management abilities and an ability to connect with the masses like nobody else. You're mistaken if you think a politician at the district level (MLA et al) that an IAS/IPS interacts with are uneducated and lack skill.
Nor really. Have met plenty of those politicians. Distinctly unimpressive. You can call them torch bearers of democracy all that you want. Doesn't make them any less incompetent, corrupt, or reprehensible.
Vasu Jain from GNLU has cleared UPSC Central Armed Police Forces Exam in merit list. Note that this is not the same as IPS, rather it is for BSF, CISF, ITBP etc cadre.
'joe' is definitely doing better with his life than an anonymous troll like you.
And another nonsense D*** measuring contest with no bearing or relevancy to the profession of law begins...
Looks like Jaydev's record hasn't been beaten this year. So NLS still has the highest rank (rank 5) from any NLU in history. Nalsar and NLS are also tied second (Sakshi Sawhney and Gitanjali Brandon both rank 6). NLUD still only as high as rank 8 (I think).

NLUs still trail the IITs, DU etc which have delivered multiple Rank 1s over the years.
3 people from GNLU made this time round:
Vasu Jain- AIR 67
Nirja Shah- AIR 213
Saisha Orke- AIR 228
NUJS and NLUJ people after entering the UPSC results measuring contest...

NUJS has over 20 people in the civil services already. No need to measure anything against anyone. Those people got it because they were good, not because they studied at NUJS. Same goes for all other NLUs too.
NLU students after realising no one outside the law firm community give a shit about them .
Its very simple. Those NLUs that give a holistic education and where students also have a wider interest beyond law firm jobs will do well in UPSC. That is why NLSIU, NLUD, NALSAR and GNLU do so well every year.
Not really. It has got nothing with holistic education given at NLUs. These people wanted to be civil servants. They would have done that regardless of whichever universities they studied in. You specifically left out NUJS and NLUJ from the list, so I'm guessing that you meant those NLUs do not provide such education. There are plenty of students from those NLUs to have cracked UPSC. For instance, there are two IPS officers who are NUJS alum whose work on COVID management and human trafficking prevention have been recognised by even mainstream media and organisations abroad. It is just that the university or its student bodies do not specifically advertise everytime one if its grads crack UPSC. I'm not saying that is necessarily a good practice. But I'm sure both have produced plenty of candidates for the services. I know NUJS has, and I'm sure so has NLUJ. So random generalizations like the one you made lacks any basis whatsoever.
This is one more reason GNLU is going to climb the NIRF rankings again next year and possibly hit #4 rank. Some arrogant people on LI mock such comments, but you will have to eat your words.
Thus far, the quantitative ranking is GNLU>NLSIU>NLUD>NLIU, but if you do a qualitative ranking then NLSIU tops as the college has scored 2 hits in the Big 3 services.
NUJS students don't have to say UPSC is useless as a case of sour grapes like you do when you can't provide jobs for your students. Are you saying that the universities have contributed towards UPSC prep? Lol! They do contribute towards campus placement though.
So nice to see even NLUs which are not usually considered in the contention for being the "best" achieve results in UPSC CSE and judiciary exams. Shows how little the difference between the students from the NLUs is and what can be achieved with a sustained effort on education by the admin of these places.
This person went ahead to do his LLM from South Asian University. After that he sat for UPSC. Now figure out which one has contributed what.
Guys comparing NLUite UPSC qualifiers is completely erroneous, you don't even need to be a law grad to do that, infact more than half of the qualifiers are engineers
Oh man! Most of the comments here sound so...delusional. NLU peeps self proclaiming to be superior on the basis of the hard earned UPSC results of their alumni. Why does everything have to revolve around 'my NLU best, your NLU bad'. You cannot compete against each other for the first rank for law related professions/fields. Non-law exam requiring any graduate degree such as UPSC cannot be the best parameters for your rank 1 competition. UPSC results are 90% the work of an aspirants hard work

I wonder whether IITs or IIMs too go for such superiority contests after UPSC result declaration
I only see first year and second year bacchas here starting a D*** measuring contest that's it. UPSC is like an individual pursuit or passion much like film making. Just like film making is not a criteria to rank law schools, UPSC is not a criteria to rank a fashion school, medical school or law school. I understand most of the parents are from a service class pre 20th century born background and UPSC is everything for them. And that is exactly what you kids are reflecting here. Please no need to undermine law firms, law firm partners etc. Do you see AIIMS students saying how shit Hospital life is and all of us should go write UPSC?? No. So no need to say law firm life is shit etc etc. You future UPSC aspirants are trying to look down at fellow law firm aspirants and current law firm people. Let me tell you the law firm partners you are trying to mock earn crores of Rupees a year, are professionally competent and are doing in life what they always wanted to do. On the contrary just like you are trying to laugh at them, they might actually be laughing at the poor state of civil servants earning a mediocre salary and having to answer netas and goons and having them as their bosses. What I am trying to say is law firm partners are not inferior to a civil servant in any respect be it education or be it money. The power of a DM is more than a partner, but that's not HIS power, it's his JOB. There is a difference. You all will get a real sense of life once you graduate from a law school.
I have got a question. How does one figure out exactly that certain students or alumni from their own university have made it through UPSC? I mean, the result contains a lot of quite common names, and doesn't mention other details about the candidates. I am guessing people who are coming up with these names are doing so when those candidates announced it in social media or if they are part of the candidate's private circle of friends, right? Which means there can be lots of people who have cracked it, but do not choose to announce it in social media right now, or their friends don't visit LI, whose names are missing from this list. I happen to have learnt 2 years later that a junior became an IPS, though they didn't announce it at that time. So I'm sure such cases exist. Even the universities won't really get to have a complete picture, less so in fact, because alum aren't tracked by most universities unless there's some media coverage.
Why are people downvoting this comment? It asks a straightforward question, doesn't disparage anyone or any institution, basically seems genuine. Are the majority LI readers mere trolls now?
Varuna Agrawal - AIR 38

Symbiosis Law School Pune joins the illustrious list of Civil Servants who graduated from SLS Pune.
The toxicity and arrogance that "top NLUs" breed in students is mind boggling. CLAT is one of the easiest exams in the world and the whole syllabus takes around 1.5 months max to complete and get a good rank. I'm saying this because I made it to these "top class" colleges.

UPSC is on another level and it takes a lot of hardwork and time to get in, many NLU grads faced multiple failures before getting recommended.
The NLUs can contribute in 3 ways:
I) Confidence of clearing a national level exam can act as fuel to take up the next challenge.
II) score well in law optional (average score around 275). This isn't a big deal as dentists (Neha Jain) and other non law graduates also score good after 1 year of prep but NLUs being law colleges can take some credit.
III) Extra-curricular activities. (Anything, sports, events, debates, moots)

That being said, both (I) and (II) are somewhat irrelevant if someone choose to go for UPSC and they don't play any significant role in the final results.
So I don't know what the association between an NLU and a UPSC recommended candidate really means. (Except (III))

Also, law firms and UPSC offer two different career choices and future options, you can prefer one over the other but that's a personal choice, pick your poison and be happy or miserable, but I can assure you that arrogance never pays doesn't matter in which year you're in, life will humble.you at some point.
Just chill, and prove whatever you want through actions not words.
The 1.5 month thing might be true in 2015,2016. Now though cracking CLAT is extremely difficult specially if you want to get in a T1 college. Just because UPSC is harder let's not devalue the hardwork put in by CLAT aspirants.
Secondly, the biggest advantage of NLU/SLS/JGLS or any reputed other law school grad over their UPSC contemporaries is their writing skill. If you have done well in your law school your writing skill will be better compared to most people. This is an advantage which your law school provides there are many more but this is definitely the most important advantage along with ofcourse an edge in your mains preparation.
Vasu Jain - AIR 67 2018 GNLU
Nirja Shah - AIR 213 2018 GNLU
Saisha Orke -AIR 228 2016 GNLU