Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Does completion of an LLM (from universities in the US / EU) have a major value add from a role / level in a law firm and salary perspective in Indian law firms?
How easy / hard is it to get placed with law firms abroad if you do have 4+ years work ex?
Indian law firms do not care about LLMs. However, for people who have done their LLB from a lesser known place, a foreign LLM can open tier one law firm doors.
There are like a dozen of threads on this particular topic, aren't they enough for you mate?
Most of threads here are lawyers crying and whining. Don't shut off a productive thread.
I think that it does. Look at the thought process of the three Harvard LLM's -- R. Nariman, D. Chandrachud and Pinky Anand. They have a very methodical way of approaching each case. I have not seen that way of thinking in others.
PN Bhagwati, Krishna Iyer [...]? All from local colleges. Your critical thinking abilities have little to do with which college you went to.

Nariman and Chandrachud's finesse is the result of two generations of legal heritage.

Also, quoting methodical-rational thinking Harvard LLMs - like Rajiv Luthra?
It is pretty clear that Chandrachud wrote the Ayodhya judgement (compare the style of writing this judgement with his judgement in the Vodafone Tax case when he was in the Bombay High Court). The decision was not signed by anyone, and he used the famous Brown v Board of Education as his model. That probably is his Harvard training.
Also, compare the Akhil Sibal polish withthat of his contemporaries. It does make a difference.
This is the beauty of Dr. Chandrachud.

When threatened with his future/legacy (son's future judgeships in Bombay HC) he can write Judgements like OpIndia/BJP Propaganda (Ayodhya Judgement)

Other than that, he talks mostly woke to get media attention and a few claps.

Be like Dr. Chandrachud, Wokeness when it helps your career, unwoke when situation requires.
I have had plenty with llms from top foreign universities even nlu grads asking me for jobs. Still don't have anything substantial.
India experience is not valid for US firms, dont know re UK. So if you have 4 v. 1 year exp. in India, same boat. It's difficult but doable.
In areas like Capital Markets and B&F it kinda is important for a lawyer to have some Indian experience before moving on to a US firm. Specially CM if you've worked on 144A during your time in India.
4 to 6 years of work experience in India is good. Atleast you will get a position in an 'India' desk at a Foreign firm.
Try Ashoka or Jindal. Work two years and then take up a policy position in a MNC. Buckets of money plus academic life