Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I'm an A2 in a T1 firm in Mumbai. I was going through linkedin profiles of Indians who work as associates in foreign law firms after gaining certain years of experience in India. One thing I noticed is that most (almost 90%) of them were from top 4-5 NLUs. So my query is whether foreign law firms look at one's law school even after that person has a say 4-5 year PQE? I'm from a reputed private law school from Mumbai (en em ai em ess)
I saw a lawyer on LinkedIn working at Jones Day Singapore and she was from UPES in their arbitration team (had work ex at SAM).
I would really appreciate it if people answer my query instead of dissing my Law School :'(
It will be inaccurate to say that the firms won't look at your law school. However, if you have a professional CV that is good enough, then not being from an NLU will not be a dealbreaker. I know people who have cracked such interviews.
Symbi Pune has a ton of partners at foreign firms as alumni, so I would say you do have a chance. I am pretty sure foreign firms do not have a flying duck where you did your undergraduate from.
Not really. There are a few but you can see the difference in quality and behaviour compared to law school alumni. There is a certain Pune alumnus at Skadden (non US office) who's infamous in Indian M&A circles for being difficult and thick.
Plenty of NLU grads have got exactly the same reputation. In addition, undeserved arrogance.
You can't change which law school you came from. Just look forward and apply to opportunities which you think you would enjoy.