Read 17 comments as:
Filter By
Are your seniors/partners bipolar or simply assholes?

Can you talk freely about your mental health issues in a law firm?

Has anyone done it previously? What was the reaction they received?

Has any law firm ever helped you cope with the work stress?
Everyone in law firms suffer mental illness. You too will, and die an excruciating death.
You cannot talk freely about your mental health issues in a law firm.
Yrs, I have done it previously. I was asked to take pills and fix myself.
No law firm has helped me cope with anything. It is never work stress - anything you do is stressful. Its much more than that. Your psychotherapist should help you discover.
This is so sad and dark. If law firms partners really intend to do something for their lives - why can't they make a better place out of it?
Wait. Wait. RECEIVED EXACTLY THE SAME RESPONSE TODAY. Fix yourself. Take pills or do whatever you have got to do. That's what I got.

5 makes so much sense. Yes, the level of consciousness is so low in these environments. For godssake, are they waiting for a suicide or something?
I’ve had seniors who were both of those things as well as ones who were neither and genuinely good people to work with. Needless to say, one makes life significantly harder than the other. However, having a decent senior doesn’t make life easy in itself - no matter how nice your boss, the expectations and sacrifices demanded by law firms always seem to take a big toll on one’s mental health. Can say this was the case for me at least. I’ve seen the best seniors I have worked with (as well as many juniors) also suffer from these issues.
I worked with some of the insane seniors from first year itself and thought toxic work culture was a way of life. I survived, did well but at one point just moved on. I am in a much happier state of mind. You may not need a therapist just move away from these toxic people.
Quote:
In the meantime, your overlord will threaten you with a salary cut in the midst of a profitable pandemic and you will continue to work for him for every waking hour of your life sacrificing your food, health, sleep, family, friends and any meaningful relationship. You will spend the same money you earned to go to a doctor who'll tell you your brain isn't making enough serotonin. But those pills he will give you won't make up for the fact that your brain forgot to release the happy chemicals because your job does not let you do things that made you happy in the first place.
Had found this interesting quote on another thread and I feel it very much reflects the truth. You may organize a hundred mental health seminars, have therapists, provide for mental health medications - but those are like crutches, they'll help you walk when you're limping. But the only way to true mental health is having the time to do things that you feel mentally good.

And unless law firms ensure that one thing - giving partners and associates some switch-off time to do things that make them happy, no amount of mental health webinars is going to cut it. And while having understanding seniors is a good thing - they cannot substitute basic lifestyle problems like this one.
Bhai kitni baar yeh CCP karega, although comment accha hai you need to come with a different existential crisis message.
No, I instinctively knew the level of consciousness in these places was simply too low to offer any genuine help or understand of mental health issues. Not that the people in law firms are necessarily bad at all - but horrible work stress, constantly being humiliated, bizarre working hours with improper nutrition and exercise - these factors don't make a well-rounded human being who can offer understanding to others.

My view is the law firm model turns us into a certain kind of person. One who necessarily values money (and perhaps nebulous 'status') above all else, because that's all we have to hold up as a trump card against anyone else we know, especially those who seem (egad!) happy, or who have more of that most valuable currency, Time.

There was only one answer for me to ensure I moved towards developing the personality and attributes I wanted to have, and not being broken by mental health issues - to leave. Sorry, I think most analyses will bring you to the same conclusion. Either way, good to luck to you. Please put your health and sanity first.
This is not universally true. Please don't make up crap. Several factors determine whether you are able to cope with law firms: team, city you are based, the college you graduated from and how you got your job. If you are a nepo kid (like those from many private colleges), then you have no chance. NLU grads, DU and GLC grads are a class apart here
Its been 4 months, only 4 months since I have joined and I am already questioning everything. I am burned out and anxious 24*7. Even though people are supportive and not really toxic the whole law firm culture is a lot to take in. I am constantly tired, but no one is ready to acknowledge that mostly everyone in a law firm is burned out to the maximum. And seeing all the partners and senior level working people, I know that its going to get tougher with time and work-life balance won't really get better afterwards as well. Asking for even a half day off seems so far fetched because of the amount of work.
The dream job is only so until reality kicks in. Early days in your career. Make changes in your life to secure your mental health. Losses today will feel like gains soon. And once life feels abundant, more abundance will follow.
Step 1: Ruin your health over a 4-8 year journey to a suitably senior role.

Step 2: Have your doctor tell you that you need to take care of your health, or you'll die.

Step 3: Use a combination of strict diet, overpriced trainers, fitness equipment, and medication or surgery to get back in shape. (Wipe your tears during the process with the cash you earned)

Step 4: Talk about your health "achievements" to inspire associates. Use it as an example of how your firm allows everyone to lead sustainable, healthy lives!
A 110-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
DUKH DARD PEEDA cycle is on repeat mode. iguess both for associates and partners