Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Dear all,

Am currently an A0/A1 at a top tier law firm (big six) in Mumbai. I graduated in 2020 and have spent a year working from home & haven't seen the office yet. I am perfectly fine with putting in the 12 hrs on weekdays (10 -10 or even 9 -10/11 if things are urgent) and putting in a few hours on Saturday. What I am not fine with is working till 3AM/4AM and working through the weekend constantly. Unfortunately, my team constantly expects me to work through the weekends often and till 2/3 AM regularly.

I am burnt out and currently at a cross roads. I have heard that Bangalore offices of the major firms are considerably better in terms of work-life balance as compared to Mumbai/Delhi? Is this true and alternatively, what are my other options?

To sum up, I like and am fine with doing transactional corporate work, provided I don't have to put in more than 60-65 hours a week. I'm sorry if I come across as entitled but staying up past 12/1 gives me migraines and I really need the one day off a week.

Will be eternally grateful if you could help me out. Owing to the lack of physical office, we haven't been able to talk to colleagues informally so really don't know who else to ask.
It depends on the person you report to. Also work for Bangalore units have started increasing.
This idea is based on some antiquated idea of "South" offices - really not the case anymore.
Yes. I was in the same situation as you at the beginning of my career. Boy am I glad I moved back to Bangalore.
I am going to join as an A0 next year. Thanks for scaring the ship out of me!
You need to learn to push back, regardless of which office you are in. Even in teams with relatively less work, you can become a victim of the 'ReWaRd FoR gOoD wOrK iS mOrE wOrK' mentality. Feel free to mention that you don't have bandwidth to take additional work if you have 10-12 hours of work a day. Speak to your partner and take some time off if you need to.

Learn to control your workflow and you will be happy in any team where the seniors are not assholes. If they are, don't care about what they think of you. You will have plenty of other options soon enough. Expect to be treated like a junior, not a slave.

If people don't give you a deadline, don't push them for one. Take a call on when it would be expected to be done. If you are doing a closing wrapping at the end of October, don't kill yourself on the weekend because the senior asked for a checklist on Friday. Get started on Monday and then ask when they want it.

Remember that you're not up for a promotion for another 3 years.

When we were in the office, you could expect 2-3 all-nighters a month, not a week. Things might get better once we go back. Don't pull the plug yet if you like the work.