Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Everyone I talk to in small chambers (in Delhi) seems to be drowning in work and has a senior who seems to yell at them for each and every thing. Wanted to know if this is more common than not. I know some seniors might be better than others but so many instances of yelling makes me think that litigation as a whole fosters abusive work conditions.
This is very common unfortunately. Shouting at you is their way of nurturing and teaching you, apparently! No kidding - many seniors have said this - "get used to this, this is how professional life is", "this is how you learn the craft".

Bullshit. The lawyers who are genuinely good seniors - good mentors - are only around 10% of the total seniors. But those don't pay. A lawyer who pays you well and treats you humanly is yet to be found.
Wondering what would it take to have a name and shame thread of litigators with terrible offices. Maybe it won't do anything, but maybe it would discourage freshers from joining their offices?
One former SCBA President DD apparently slapped his junior in front of the SCBA Library in SC.
A popular lawyer on YouTube has on several occasions admitted that he tends to shout at his associates. He has also agreed that he makes them work long hours with low pay. Justifies it by essentially saying that this is the requirement of the profession.
Gives interesting courtroom advice though.
Rajshekhar Rao to other seniors:
"Wait, you guys are telling at your juniors?"
I briefly worked with a senior law officer for the government of India some years ago. I thought of this as a stepping stone towards an independent litigation practice. I was previously working at law offices that this particular law officer was in awe/envious of. I noticed an unusual quirk about him. If ever he saw a former colleague (former senior colleagues in particular) around me in court, he would make it a point to yell at me and say something horrible and embarrassing. When he did it the third time, I quit.

Iā€™m so glad that he (this former law officer) has been overtaken by so many lawyers much younger, who have been designated as senior advocates, leaving him far behind. He is a real piece of shit. From what I hear, his other juniors (who stayed on longer) quit on him too.
A 10-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.