Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I am a new joinee at one of the Amarchands. When I got this job, I felt like I had achieved a lot.

Now a days, whenever I introduce myself to relatives/dates, it feels so a embarassing "I work as an associate at Cyril/Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas" none of the three words in that name ring any bell with most people I meet. They think I'm working at some random Gujju shop. Then you tell them you don't even go to court. At this point, people start thinking you're not even a real lawyer or perhaps not doing very well in life. They advice you to appear for government exams instead. Or they tell you how another person they know is a Supreme Court lawyer.

I don't know if others also face this or is it just me. But this makes me think - does anyone outside really care about the brand value of the law firm you are from? Say when you're applying abroad for higher education, or sitting for a UPSC interview or applying for positions outside law - do recruiters even know to distinguish between names of Indian law firms? Does an Amarchand name have any extra value compared to say, S&R or Trilegal?
They don't for the simple reason that no company their size will be known to the general public. They are big for a law firm but nothing compared to most mncs and investment banks.
Amen. If Indian law firms were listed companies, they wouldn't even make into a small cap index. How many small cap companies can you name anyway?
Same with me. And this feeble recall value of the Indian legal industry, starting from law schools, is quite unwholesome. But I would say it doesn't matter. My fiancΓ©e's mother once asked me about the firm in more detail, I told her the name again and where it was located. She laughed and said she'd never heard of it, but as long as the lady and I make decent money, nobody cares. Nobody cares.
When you tell them you work for Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas they think you work for some shop? Well they are not completely wrong.
Quote:
They think I'm working at some random Gujju shop.
Guess what, you are!
See kids, this is why we needs firms with names like Allen & Overy and Herbert Smith Freehills. No one will ever think you work for a Gujarati mithai shop. Rather they will be impressed when you tell them is it a "London-wala company".
Just introduce yourself as a corporate lawyer it sounds fancy enough.
"Sounds interesting what's that like"

"Oh I research what is the law on claw back clauses and suitably adapt previous reiteration into current draft"

Yawn
And also mithai waala have a better personal life than most corp lawyers