Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Want to understand which is a better start to one's judicial career for a first generation lawyer who has recently graduated and is not inclined towards litigation, either to appear for lower judicial services and then get promoted eventually, or to appear for the higher judicial services?
If you're not inclined towards litigation then perhaps, lower judiciary exam.

But otherwise, becoming a litigator and then appearing for higher judicial services/ getting elevated is better because of the following:

A. Higher Judicial Services

1. The post of Addl. Dist Judge requires minimum qualification of 7 years as a litigator. Through lower judicial services with promotions, you'll get to the same rank after around 15 years.

2. It is easy to crack the higher judicial exam even with the minimum 7 years PQE, because most lawyers with a good practice, do not want to sit for another exam.

3. Consequently, you'll be an Addl Dist Judge and then subsequently Dist Judge with a 6-7 years advantage over your other DJs. Your chances of elevation to HC is almost certain.

B. Elevation to High Court directly

Join as a government advocate. The pay will be much lesser (a decent 60k though) but most of your peers will be of shit quality. It's a very easy way to stand out before the bench - every judge and advocate general will remember you as that "one smart, dedicated government advocate". Play your cards right and you might elevated to the HC pretty early on - around 45-50 years age. In that case, you'll even have a shot at elevation to the Supreme Court.
> 2. It is easy to crack the higher judicial exam even with the minimum 7 years PQE, because most lawyers with a good practice, do not want to sit for another exam.

But the vacancies are ridiculously low. Just 4 candidates have been shortlisted for interview for DHJS this time.
Becoming one is not easy, unless you are well connected and move all the right pieces. Lower judiciary is not a bad thing and it depends on the state. Things in Southern part are better suited to a law school graduate.

Most importantly, you do not become an government advocate right away; there is a minimum experience pre condition to be satisfied.

Go to the courts for six months and decide what suits you better. In the end, there is nothing right or wrong, if you do not compare the name, money and fame enjoyed by people around you with that of yours.
thanks for the insight .... wanted to know if after joining the lower judicial services in Delhi/Haryana one can accelerate promotion either by doing an llm or clearing internal exams?
I'm confused about this too. Litigation in delhi doesn't make sense long-term (I am both first-gen, and a non-delhiite). My family belongs to a really small town, I don't want to go back and practice in the State HC there- the town has nothing to offer apart from this. Earlier I thought I could practice for a few years and join higher judiciary in delhi, but after I saw the vacancies, it seemed like a terrible plan. So considering delhi lower judiciary after graduation now, any advice would be appreciated.
Would encourage you to either practice at the trial courts and HC in your hometown, or build a career in Delhi. Both will pay off in the long term if you put in the hard yards.

Even if a career in the judicial services is what you aspire for, a few years of litigation experience under good mentors will help you be a better judge someday. Good luck.
Appear for Lower Judiciary exams, If you live in North India DJS, UP PCSJ and MP judiciary exams are good.
agree with you but what is the salary progression of judicial officers?
As of now newly induced judges get around 70-75k in hand plus perks. (The fluctuations because each state has different incentives)

Wait for the recommendations of the Second Judicial pay commission to kick in the salary will be around 90k in hand.
OP of Comment 1.1:

I understand that vacancies in higher judiciary and becoming a government advocate are again very state specific things.

1. The vacancies in higher judiciary in states apart from Delhi are generally higher and in some states, they are not even filled because qualifying candidates do not fulfil the minimum mark/percentage requirements. So, if you are a resident of those states, you may be luckier.

2. Traditionally, GAs were politically appointed; however that is changing in many states. States like Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Kerala and Odisha are now almost regularly carrying out GA recruitments through examinations. Even if not GA specifically, you can also explore applying to Assistant Public Prosecutor positions - they much lesser min qualification requirements and it's very easy to stand out as long as you're ready to take the pay cut. The comment on GA will also apply if you become an APP.