Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
I am not getting placed in a tier one despite being from NLUJ. Does this mean my life is wasted?
Financial difficulties is no reason to join corp law or corporate firm. You will end up hating the work so much that you will have financial difficulties all your life. Probably the firms too have realised that you are not in for it for the work but some other reasons. Unless you like the work you will not survive. Not to forget that you cannot jump ship later. Rather focus on your interest areas right now, even if the pay is low, and few years later you will grow and have a successful career. I've had financial problems in my life too. I joined a tier 4-5 to make it to tier 1. But that's because I liked the work and could work hard for it. It's not everyones cupcake. If you fail your career may be destroyed
@sonpari , I would like to know and learn more from your experience. How to escalate from T4/5 to T1?
Some of the most motivated and successful people that I know in Tier 1 firms have not started there. Don't worry about the pressure you see around you. Life has a funny way to make things happen. Your career is just starting - in a few years you'll see it won't make much of a difference what you choose now.

- R
I've a huge crush on R. I want to take you out on a date, if you are a girl :p
No, Please don't say that.

You can still improve your CV by interning at tier 1/2 places and write research papers in good journals do this for 6 months and then apply.

I know this might be a bit difficult given you have financial issues and would want to start a job immediately but why not try appearing for Judicial Services exams, If I remember correctly Haryana and Rajasthan have released like 240 and 180 Civil Judge posts respectively.

Also try applying for jobs in Tier 2 law firms, they might offer less retainer when compared to Tier 1 it is still better than what you get in Litigation.
Buddy, I started at a Tier - 5 law firm, and today with Tier 1. If you are willing to work hard and get a bit lucky with good (or at least half-decent) seniors, nothing beats Tier 1 in my opinion (of course people can and will have different opinions, this is mine). Grit, merit and additional educational qualifications worked for me. Find out what makes your tick and works for you, make a plan and it should not be too difficult. Progress in a Tier 1 is more challenging than entry.
"Progress in a tier-1 is more challenging than entry".

Couldn't agree more!
Lol dude if you got into tier 1 firms most people would say you’re on the way to wasting your life.

In all seriousness - you’re too young and full of potential to have wasted your life. A few job rejections don’t decide your value.
This is basically it. I think you're actually better off not having bagged this job in the larger scheme. Won't make sense right now, but it'll add up later for sure.
News is even people from Lake jagran and BML Munjal secured seats at many tier 1 law firms.
Even I feel the same, I am in my final year at a private law school in Bangalore, it is equivalent to Nirma and SLS, my peers have started bagging tier 1 jobs, I really do enjoy corporate work and even as a final year student, I already have worked with teams on Due diligence and other basic corp law work. However, I just cannot get a job anywhere, firms coming to campus don't select me because I have always been an average person (won average moots, had to do lots of tier 2 internships before got a chance to do a tier 1 internship). Internships won't convert into jobs. I feel as if my life is being wasted too.
I hold Legally India and Kian Ganz partly responsible for hyping up law firm careers among students over the 10 years of its existence. If this website had taken a little bit of time to showcase the wonderful opportunities that exist in other fields, NLUs would not be so law firm-obsessed.
Money-wise, law firm jobs still beat everything else to a fresher. The working conditions are a different thing altogether.
This.
Most of the obsessive toxic cultures like "top NLUs" in every comment and glorification of T1 firms is due to the active role played by LI. They've turned everything into a toxic competition.
Not just through the website. Remember the days when LI would publish columns with Mint covering various aspects of indian lawn firms. Sheesh.
Hey, op. I understand your predicament, I'm in my 4th year in a tier 1 nlu, don't have a single firm internship yet, I tried, but things did not work out, and it's not like my Gpa isn't good, I'm in the top 30 of my batch.

When contacts didn't work, I tried placement cell, but I was overlooked by all of the firms. Heck people with half my Gpa got interns with t2, but I did not. One day I had enough, and broke down, bawled my eyes out, it was then my mother decided to intervene and talk, her first question was do you truly want this? I thought, and my answer was No. Then she asked what is it that I truly want? At that point, I did not have an exact answer and still don't, but trying every day. Lastly, she said "Doosre apne aap ko ek pinjre Mein band kar rhe hain, toh woh dekh ke tum kyu ro rhe ho, tumhare saamne ek khula aasman hai, apne pankh kholo, mehnat karo aur jitna ooncha udna hai udo".

This was the turning point for me, I still try to get internships, but I try and not to let rejections affect me as such anymore. I have a new perspective, and things are getting better mentally.

This might not give you a newfound motivation or drive, but I hope I was able to help you, even if a little. Have a good one, hope you make it.
I started my career in a useless "boutique" law firm for a pittance salary, despite qualifying from a top law school. The mental torture from toxic seniors drove me insane in 6 months. I quit without a job in hand and sat at home for 3-4 months, feeling useless and worthless because one egotist toxic partner at a law firm made life hell for me! Though I interviewed with Tier-1s during the period, I didn't land a job. But, got a lucky break with another global professional services firm, and lo- 4 years later, the very same Tier 1s happily took me in. And guess, what? While for me the dream of working in a Tier 1 law firm came true, made money, got promoted etc., it just became 'another job-another employer'! So, I quit the Tier 1 and joined a Tier 2. No regrets at all. And, life still goes on....

So, chill... Life's not about one job or one boss. Be open to new or different things. Like in my case, an unconventional job at a non-law firm did wonders. Life's shaped by several things. And, I wish I knew this when I started out my career.....
Go do litigation. Do counsel practice. Nothing beats the day when those chaps that rejected you for jobs/internships start clamouring around you asking for "Ex conference sir".