Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
BJP has chosen Priyanka Tibrewal. It's good they chose a young lawyer, but why not an NLU grad? They could have picked Vikramjit Banerjee, who is an old BJP hand. Or perhaps Lokenath Chatterjee, a young NUJS grad who got a ticket in the last election and has spoken well on TV. Tibrewal is a Hazra Law College (CU) grad and does not have much name recognition in the Cal HC. Compare with Banerjee, who is ASG and Chatterjee, who was the junior of one of the top barristers.

The BJP has lost an opportunity to take advantage of the talent within its fold. They could have promoted a new Bengal face who is an NLU grad. Whereas Congress is promoting NLU grads like Jaiveer Shergill and Avani Bansal BJP is not promoting anyone.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/bjp-fields-lawyer-priyanka-tibrewal-against-mamata-banerjee-for-bhabanipur-bypoll-2536172#pfrom=home-ndtv_bigstory

https://www.financialexpress.com/india-news/who-is-priyanka-tibrewal-profile-biography-bjp-mamata-banerjee-bhabanipur-bypoll/2327720/lite/
BJP's has swept almost every election since 2013, so they're doing something right. The Congress has been losing so.. . Only random guys on anonymous legal forums even know about state universities called "NLUs", let alone care. It's funny when i think about it, but once I had a hard time explaining where I study. Regular folks in Calcutta have never heard of nujs but would instantly recognise hazra (CU's department of law).
BJP did not sweep the latest Bengal election, but got swept away instead.
BJP is promoting Dilipda, a ruffian and hooligan from every angle imaginable. That shows its fundamental priority.
Let me repeat: No one gives a flying shit about NLU beyond the legal fraternity, even there sometimes it's not given much attention. No one missed an opportunity to hire an NLU grad - it doesn't even matter.
Zindagi mein aur kuch kaam nahi hai?

Btw, it's Department of Law, University of Calcutta. The name changed long back to separate itself from sister CU colleges.
This shouldn't matter.
First things first - She was BJP candidate in the last election (2021).
She lost by a margin of 60 thousand votes. (she received 28 percent of votes)
So, Why launch a new candidate when the result of upcoming election is already known.
P. S - BJP cadidate won't get more than 20 percent of votes in by-election.
I think you need to stop this NLU obsession. In case a lawyer is chosen, for any position, it's not because he/ she is carrying an NLU badge all around. There are other factors as well.

Next time you will say all the ministers in cabinet (who are currently lawyers) should be replaced by NLU grads.

I am waiting to see such post.
Bro, after 2024 polls, pls claim the full central government cabinet ministers (who are currently lawyers from DU, CU etc etc) to get replaced by NLU grads.

Or wait, why don't you write a letter to PMO now itself. Could be a good idea. Can dissolve the ministry for the betterment of the country, q ki NLU grads k alawa or koi baki hai hi nahi.
1. This is a pretty funny post in the sense that a NLU tag means so much to someone, that they look for related patterns in fields outside law firms, counsels, etc. such as politics. I am sure Ms. Tibrewal is a fine lawyer but am also sure that had nothing to do with her selection as a candidate.
2. Arguendo, (a) let us assume that she was selected on the basis of her legal skills, and someone from NLU would be better at legal skills; or (b) people from NLUs would be better politicians; if you have so delusional about the importance of an NLU tag, why don't you just assume the seat was offered to the NLU dudes first, and they choose to refuse it, hence Priyanka got the job.
3. I initially framed my though on the lines that people at law colleges are liberals given their education, and would not support the BJP given their stances on say beef, imposition of Hindi, sidelining of Muslims, etc. (I like to believe that my legal education has taught me to think that issues such as the farm laws, CAA/NRC, Art. 370 are complex issues, and the other side could have arguments on both sides irrespective of what I think, therefore, not including them in the list. However, even if one were to "both sides" the issues on a policy level, observing BJP's statements, statements from ministers, party spokespersons, etc., the BJP definitely does not seem to have any bona fides). However, I instantly realized that no such pattern exists and several people in liberal colleges adore the BJP.

Still I would expect that a good legal education would teach people that information rights are supreme, and transparency is a non-negotiable in public office. Given the PM's hesitation with press conferences, their behavior in the Parliament when the opposition questions them, ministers tagging people as anti-nationals for the slightest dissent, misuse of UAPA and sedition laws to harass dissenters with very flimsy evidence (even a prima facie case is tough to make out in say the Umar Khalid detention, and the arrest of even Bhima Koregaon activists seems to be on similar lines) so that the process becomes the punishment even if they are proven guilty.

I am ignoring the actions of their IT cell, proxy spokespersons like Anupam Kher, etc. since one could argue that they do not represent the BJP even though there is strong evidence to suggest a nexus (definitely stronger than the evidence that they have detained Umar Khalid on the basis of, where even a prima facie case seems to be lacking, and the prima facie evidence itself is fabricated and the source of the fabrication is Amit Malviya).

You can choose to think Hindus are being oppressed, or that Muslims should be second class citizens. It sounds controversial but sadly democracy works in fucked up ways, and in my opinion if I were to say, pass a law that every Hindu who holds such idiotic notions and votes on the basis thereof should not be allowed to vote, that law itself would be undemocratic in nature.

However, as a lawyer, if you are okay with the absolute lack of transparency and disclosure, and choose to ignore the fact that the BJP's primary focus seems to be media/information management, are able to state that nepotism is wrong yet stay silent on, defend or celebrate Jay Shah's success, you aren't a very good lawyer.

Infact in this instance, I hope Vikramjit Banerjee and Lokenath Chatterjee said no to the BJP because actually makes them appear to be better people than Priyanka Tibrerwal, thereby, vindicating your point that people from NLUs are superior.

P.S. I am from an NLU as the alias suggests.
Came by to check if anyone wanted to discuss this. Noticed a few typos and wanted to tweak a few sentences so providing corrections below:
2. Arguendo, (a) let us assume that she was selected on the basis of her legal skills, and someone from NLU would be better at legal skills; or (b) people from NLUs would be better politicians; if you have are so delusional about the importance of an NLU tag, why don't you just assume that the seat was offered to the NLU dudes first, and they choose to refuse it, hence Priyanka got the job.
3. I initially framed my though thought on the lines that people at law colleges are liberals generally hold liberal views on most issues given their education, and would not support the BJP given their stances on say beef, imposition of Hindi, sidelining of Muslims, etc. (I like to believe that my legal education has taught me to think that issues such as the farm laws, CAA/NRC, Art. 370 are complex policy issues, and the other side that one could have arguments on both sides irrespective of what I may personally think, therefore, not including them in the list. However, even if one were to "both sides" the issues themselves on a policy level, observing the BJP's statements press releases, statements from ministers, party spokespersons, etc., the BJP definitely does not seem to have any bona fides). However, I instantly realized that no such pattern exists and several people in liberal colleges adore the BJP.
Still I would expect that a good legal education would teach people that information rights are supreme, and transparency is a non-negotiable in public office. Given the PM's hesitation with press conferences, their behavior in the Parliament when the opposition questions them, ministers tagging people as anti-nationals for the slightest dissent, misuse of UAPA and sedition laws to harass dissenters with very flimsy evidence (even a prima facie case is tough to make out in say the Umar Khalid detention, and the arrest of even Bhima Koregaon activists seems to be on similar lines. The Disha Ravi case is also an excellent example and should not require any explanation if you have received a legal education, and infact, even if you have not.) so that the process becomes the punishment even if they are proven guilty innocent subsequently.
Infact in this instance, I hope Vikramjit Banerjee and Lokenath Chatterjee said no to the BJP because that actually makes them appear to be better people than Priyanka Tibrerwal, thereby, vindicating your point that people from NLUs are superior.
Mamta banerjee’s right hand aka Firhad Hakim (his dad and his grandad were also ministers), the guy who brings in all the minority votes for her is going to be succeeded by his daughters and the youngest of them is currently studying in a famous law school. She will probably be the first minister from a famous law school.
Everyone on social media knows whose son/daughter goes where. For example, everyone knows ( ) sis studied at Jindal as she is popular on Insta. Same with politician's children. Just shows you don't use social media.You must be some uncle or aunty.
Not really. The point is to use social media for actually useful purposes, not stalk wannabee celebs.
NLU NLU NLU NLU NLU NLU NLU jaap shuru kar, NLU devi ka mandir khol, NLU t shirts bech, NLU movie bana, NLUs pe gane bana, NLUs ka tattoo banwa, ab modiji nlu graduates ko direct IAS banayenge.
Yea, so sad bro.

Even I was thinking that the current judges of the SC are also non NLU grads. We should come together and take some action and replace the judges as well. What say? :(
After reading all the posts about NLUs, I m sure that studying at an NLU makes you superhuman - you automatically become a good politician, an excellent businessman, a renowned technocrat, etc.
Wish I could have studied at an NLU, I would have then automatically become an excellent fighter pilot.