Read 69 comments as:
Filter By
With the recent exit of SRK, the partner exits at CAM have reached almost 15 in one half of the financial year!

Yashojit, Pranav, Mallika, Mridul, Manita, Gaurav, Jaya Singhania, Daksha Bakshi, Mekhla Anand, Anuj Pethia, Shatarupa Das.

Not to mention the innumerable SA, PA exits. Add to it, the firm managed to disappoint 99% of its existing retainers by announcing grand increments and not meeting them closely in reality. Hiring of new associates have been sub-par (I never had work quality problems before). The message from the MP to the partners is always threatening. And now, they're bent on getting people back to office physically at the riskiest time.

Who's advising the management? Why is the decision-making so opaque? And why are they insistent on doing each single thing the wrong way?
Whatever is stopping you from ignoring? Leave the thread if you don't like it. Stop whining.
Oh great, the troll and hater party have arrived in advance even before the comments to..what is it..STOP THE WHINING...do these guys realise that we don't get to do our side of whining here on LI, our brains would burst in office.....and if we atop coming here on LI, what would Kian(and R) do moderation....ya wait ...btw wheres Kian??
Just leave if your head is bursting. There will be many others who would be more than happy to replace you'll. Not complain as well. If you have such problems you are either in the wrong profession or firm. How AMSS and now CAM functions has been the same forever. Why did you apply and come here? You thought you and 4-5 others will whine on LI and things will change? Of 500+ lawyers there are 4-5 first years whining. Cam should have been better at their recruitment this time. Coming to office is a firm policy. Entire work has been adhering to workplace policies. You have signed on dotted line to adhere to all firm policies. If you have an issue then please leave and do a favor on everyone!
Good idea.Filter out anyone who's a "potential whiner" and also someone with ambition also.If they have ambition they will become competition.You don't want to train your future competition.Hire robots once that arrive on the legal scene, no whining no competition etc.it will be perfect.
When signed on dotted line, it applies to your firm also?can they unilaterally cut down salary that was done last year while feeding everyone with the world-doomed scenario.That was never part of any dotted line.
If you have an issue with what's said on LI go to your phydical office and whine about the whiners on LI.this is the don't stop whining conversation.
Arrogance is thy trademark.Not everyone wants to work at AMSS or CAM.Imo,the Amarchand brand was great but CAM has a very long way to go to catch up with AMSS name.AMSS was legacy CAM is a lot of hype and noise imo.
Coming to office is a firm policy?Is it as firm as last year permanent wfh policy announced in such fanfare with proclamations of it being a "talent attraction" measure?
Go zooming to physical office, break down that bike for the zooming speed to rush to physical office and then whine about the whiners here at LI.Go be a loyal dog of all the wrong in the world instead of being a "patrakar".Whiners still whining.
Look, you need the hard reality check so here it is- you were told you that you work for a law firm, but sometime it will dawn on you that you practically work for a king and his family in their kingdom.This is the case with most Lalaji firms, take it or leave it.Democracy doesn't really go with kings rule.
Yes but bitter dose should also comes with the other reality that you can join other firms ,it's not so whimsical there.If the family owns a firms,it's their firm aways.I think this partnership model for such family law firms is just not believable,it's only on paper.Not every firm will think of employees as personal servants and while work pressures remain terrible across most firms but there is better professional respect at other firms.Not all firms will use your increment to create some illusion of a big bumper hike.
In fact I once heard, though not 100 percent sure if true, that CAM as in Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas maybe registered by the name as Cyril Shroff & LLP or Cyril Shroff's LLP or something like that.
AAD-5696 LLP is Cyril Shroff & Partners LLP (on the MCA website). Not sure if this is CAM though. Too lazy to pay and look at public documents. Naa to MCA website se pyar hai naa to CAM se nafrat.
Is the firm really registered as Cyril Shroff LLP while it keeps a marketing name for itself as Cyril Amarchand Mangaldas?
I looked up CYRIL SHROFF & PARTNERS LLP on Zauba and it has only 4 family partners. If this LLP is CAM, no one else has equity at CAM or what?
The Anarchand brand was great but when I read this I feel like CAM just doesn't live up to legacy Amarchand brand and the way it treats it's Associates makes it the worst law form.
CAM is restricted to cyril shroff and family. They dont care who comes goes. May be non family pa or sa or partners are just being kept to tom tom size and rank. But cam works only from cyril and vandana desk max Rishabh and paridhi. Forget democracy.
You know the firm gets this level of power to do anything they please, because no one actually speaks up at the firm, for whatever reasons.And probably no one is likely to.Like you said, the MP is threatening the partners.Its showing I guess given that 15 partners have left.The attrition at associate level also indicative because the firm doesn't seem to care.And a pandemic is a time when people prefer stability and don't like to move.So if people still moving,a lot seems obviously wrong at the work ship.Be practical and jump ship like the others, because firm management doesn't seem like the listening or caring types.
How many SA, PA have exited?In a firm of 750 approx lawyers, SA PA leaving the firm makes no big difference to the firm.Partners leaving a firm points to problems at top, but honestly I don't think the CAM owners care.My thoughts are that non-family partners at a famiy owned law firm are just namesake and have no real powers.CAM is known to opine that if one goes, we have many waiting to join us.Attrition is not something that seems to bother CAM.
Seems like the managing partners at both large firms at Peninsula are basically following the same approach to increments, office opening and exits. Someone needs to remind them that it's not 2004 anymore and despite the size of their practices, this concerted effort won't leave the lawyers worse off. It's the firms which will suffer.
16 partners quit this year. Most have not been covered on LI/Bar n Bench. They have just disappeared from the firm website.

Fallout of poor management by Cyril who is being guided by Rishi baba. More big names to follow in the next 2 months. DJ, VS, SV.
Nice find. Look at the comments in that thread. People talking about the end of CAM. Lol. Employees are easily replaceable.
Family firm culture makes me sad. Even if I work like a dog, destroy my youth at the end of it all, all I'll get is the opportunity to become tier 1 servant. In other countries partner means part owner. This is just sad
If as per conversation CAM is bent on making retainers leave then maybe it's a strategy of the firm to bring down costs by replacing the experienced associates with A0s or lesser PQE.Its possible to get two A0s to replace one SA cost-wise.I kinda believe this also because at partner level itself there are so many 15/16 exits but the news of these exits is not coming out.
Maybe even partners are being replaced with A0.One partner can be replaced by 3-7 A0s.Maybe cost cutting is the strategy.
Doors are open at vertices, one of the most democratically managed fastest growing law firm.
OP, one sentence stands out:

"hiring of new associates have been sub-par (I never had work quality problems before)."

I think that says enough. The amarchand brand was built on hiring quality associates from law schools (amarchand did the first campus placement) and make sure they grow into amazing home grown partners.

The ship is leaking left right and centre now. The cream of the crop (of law firm associates) who will be partners in 8-10 years aren't in CAM today and probably won't join also.. the cream of the crop that will make partners in 4-5 years is largely in other smaller platforms. Those left in CAM are looking to leave. I think this signals where the firm is headed.
Wowww,15 partners exited? 15 partners exiting in half year, how's that compared to attrition in other year's?CAM is supposed to be one of the top law firms in India and seeing so much attrition.But why - the toxic work culture?But there are so many comments on bad work culture for many years,then whats changed to cause such sharp number of exits at partner level?
There’s no news of Mekhla leaving CAM. Can someone confirm? Also, where is she headed?
It's.cute that you think management accepts any advisory and so cute that you think there is a management.There is one big boss CSS and his family who are owners,advisors and managers.The CAM firms is their firm.The partnership, partners designations, associates - all these are paper titles i.e. only on paper and not in reality.People take long to realise that they are servants, they maybe well qualified skilled lawyers but still practically they are like servants only.The glorious designation of partner is namesake only.This is generally the case with all promoter owned firms.When this realization hits, which is generally when you get treated badly and "were shown your position in the hierarchy"or " taught a lesson",it will be too late because of getting accustomed to whole lot of toxicity.Kudos to the ones flying off to newer smaller pastures than staying back as comfortable servants.I guess seeing so much death around makes one realise the importance of dignity of life,never give that up.
It's my opinion that CAM carries it with arrogance that they act as if the legal industry depends on them, probably because of their family being in the legal sector for long as an established brand and political connections/influence.Not everyone wants such a master and they leave when the chance comes up.But the other law firms are now giving it tough competition. Nepotism of a brand established earlier now facing competition.Exits are bound to happen because monopoly is not a success story,it's tolerance till competition arrives.
So what if 15 partners have left.There are already partner designates waiting to take partner position.
Maybe they are making partners leave because the management is too top heavy.its speculation but it's also because at the end of the day it's a lalaji firm and may not want partners beyond a certain numberr.More partners means more profit takers.isnt there also some limit as well of 200/250 partners max in partnership firm?
Bro, the law firm is LLP registered under LLP Act 2008. Did you really think they are this dumb? Under LLP Act, there is no limit on the maximum number of partners. ( )
If clients love CAM why have some gone to other competing firms?I think AZB has gotten a chunk of deals from clients of CAM.Is it because certain employee, replaceable to CAM, have gone to AZB?
Ashwath was a big loss to CAM, me thinks AZB has picked up major acceleration just by this one hire.
If clients loved CAM why are they moving with the new firms where CAM exiting partners go.example AZB.
And if clients stay with CAM out of "live",then why make snarky comments when your director moves to a "smaller platform".
When clients supposedly love CAM then why the need for snarky petty comments on that firm where one of your partners is joining,I would have understood if CSS would have commented on the partner but calling Trilegal a smaller platform just exposes the pettiness of CSS.Calling Trilegal small or smaller didn't make CAM big or bigger it made CAM look like a sore loser.
Badi jaldi respond kar diya. Thoda or time le lete? Abhi 2021 khatam hone me time hai.
Both forms known for toxic culture so no surprise in exits.But at least Jeeya did not cut sals for 6 months in name of pandemic while purchasing flats
Somebody please show this to Cyril Shroff. He really thinks he's cutting everyone a favour when in reality his own horses hate him!
Cyril Shroff is doing you all a favour by letting you work 24*7 for his "law"firm for "high" salaries and putting food on your table,so be grateful and don't question his dictatorship or else you might have to join smaller platforms.For the uninformed you think CSS needs to be shown what's on LI.Ha ha.his permission is probably sought before anyone can publish anything in media Remember how there were CBI raids on CAM somewhere between 17-20 Feb 2018,did anyone notice how all the media (including LI) reported it on the same date of 25/36 February 2018?That does give CAM time to come up with damage control plan.
A 59-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 73-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 39-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.