Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Sinch legally India is open to all whether aspirants, students or practicing lawyers, I think it's the best platform to get my answer.
I aspire to become a corporate lawyer one day but after reading in depth about the work-life balance and hardships faced by them, I'm having second noetic conceptions because I'm dropping my JEE prep to become a corporate lawyer. Albeit I'm largely inspired by the relishes of Kim Wexler and Harvey Specter, I remotely care about the lavish package this profession offers to freshers rather I strive to gain as much licit erudition as I can.
Do you think I would regret my decision in future? (Your answers would really affect my perspective)
Thank you for your time!
You lost me at you being inspired by Harvey Specter. This show should be banned cuz of its unrealistic and stupid portrayal of law firms.
Dr. House is not a real doctor

Harvey Specter is not a real lawyer

Agent Mulder is not in FBI

The experts on Ancient Aliens are not real experts (could be alien though?).

Become a lawyer if you like solving problems and dealing with people, if you think you have ok writing skills, can summarise facts well, can understand complex problem well then be a lawyer. Law schools will sharpen (some argue otherwise) your skills, but will not be able to fundamentally alter your skillset. Then you will retrain at the place of work and forget about 90% of what you had learnt in the law school.
It's a separate thing that most lawyers in the country lack those qualities. Many of them make money too.
Yeah, someone told me that don't ever mention suits in law school. Lesson learned the hard way.
Thanks for your interesting inputs. I'm more encouraged to work even harder thanks you ;)
He/ she may well be. But there is a high chance he/she may spell correctly.
Look, if you want to be a lawyer, great, but make sure that it is for the right reasons. The law is not about glitz and glamour, it's about dealing with complex situations all day long, and sometimes you get little to no rewards. You should not go into law school with a rigid mindset of what you want to do, you have 5 years to think about that. Right now, as an aspirant, you have no idea about what corporate law, or even litigation, for that matter really entails. If you really care about "licit erudition", don't fall for the tricks they get up to in TV shows. Suits is one of the most inaccurate representation of a lawyer's life there is. You need to be prepared to work hard, all day, sweat and make it till you break it. But first, get through law school, worry about this later. Corporate law is hard, and can sometimes get mundane, you may not worry about the money now, but when you slave all day long and get very little pay off, you're going to be highly disappointed. And for the love of God don't listen to what people on the internet have to tell you, go to law school, learn there, experience things as they come. Don't rush into it. Side note: You are not dropping out of JEE to become a corporate lawyer, you are preparing to become A lawyer, period. Wait it out, don't be quick to judge. Best of luck.
Well put, I'll surely keep that in mind. Really appreciate your time sir!
Thank you, RM for your comment! I think every aspiring lawyer should have this mindset before entering law school. I hope other aspirants read your comment and take your advice.
If you have the aptitude and determination to crack JEE, please don’t go anywhere near a law school with the intention of doing corporate law. Join a law school if you want to litigate, do policy work or go into legal academia. Corporate law is not a patch on corporate jobs outside law.
Tum kahin Kim Wexler se inspire hote hue Jimmy McGill/Saul Goodman nahi ban jana.