Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
I recently got a job offer from a tier 1 law firm I want to appear for judicial services examination. Which one should I pick considering factors like career progression, monetary considerations and generally to lead a good life?
Generally speaking, quality of life at lower judicial services is better than law firm in terms of pressure, timing, work-life balance, etc.
But you make way more money in a law firm, and will definitely be posted in big cities (relevant if you're appearing for any judicial service other than DJS).
Do you want to work?

9 to 5 (chilled out) - Judicial Services
9 to 9 (with targets) - Corporate

Do you get bothered by transfers to rural places?

If yes - Corporate.

Money?

Judicial Services - 10 LPA to 30 LPA

Corporate - Upto 1 crore (if you can make it to partner)
Depends from state to state.

More than that, you are a horrible human being if you take bribe as a Judicial Officer.
Depends on your self-esteem.

And by that I don't mean that if you have a high self-esteem you won't take bribes, no.

I mean if you have a high self-esteem, you'll take high bribes and discretely. Otherwise your 'rate' would be low and entire Tis Hazari would know of the dirty you did.

Can't share the exact details here, of course
I think people answering aren't realising that it's not merely about the pros and cons of each profession but about the decision to prepare. A serious dedicated prep regimen would probably involve OP to quit their firm job. That's the conflict they seem to be facing- whether to take that gamble or not. I am sure they are aware of what the job profiles are for both.
OP said:

Quote:
Which one should I pick considering factors like career progression, monetary considerations and generally to lead a good life?
:|
I see a lot of threads where people keep highlighting the money part of corporate law firms. Honestly, the difference is not that much. Yes, you will have a slightly fancier house, a car with some aesthetic value - but it's not wolf of wall street level rich. Especially given the fact that you might have to settle in Mumbai if you want a top-end corporate career - you won't really feel that much richer. Even stature wise, an equity partner at a law firm means little in a Delhi or a Mumbai.

So yes, while there are several other factors that you should consider - like the kind of life you want, the kind of peers you want, where your family wants to be etc. - don't put too much weight on the money factor.

10-30 LPA (along with govt bungalows, car, perks and most importantly, not having to save 50% of your income for retirement) versus 15 LPA - 3 crores with zero employee benefits, constant pressure to save and retire early and living in Mumbai - the margin between the two isn't really as wide as it's made out to be.

So yes, I wish you luck and hope you choose what you truly want in your heart. In the end, your life only needs to make sense to you.
I have seen both to be frank - been in firms and several people in family in judicial services. If you want respect and power, choose judicial services any day. Of course, there will be frequent transfers to remote places, I have been through that, and it does not matter much. Firms are ruthless and you can replaced any day.