Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
👇 This property. 🤩🤩🤩

It will be the second Christian Law School in Kolkata in recent years after St Xavier's College opened one. NUJS should raise standards or it will lose faculty to these colleges, which are better administered as minority institutions have zero government interference and may receive donations from Catholic organisations overseas. Also, no SC/ST/OBC reservation in hiring faculty.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/kolkata/citys-oldest-school-hostel-set-to-turn-into-law-college/articleshow/85879441.cms
But the question is,

Will they be able to run it efficiently.
Don't think every 'church run' law school will be as efficient and good as Christ Law School, Bengaluru.
I had a friend of mine, who studied in lower ranked NLU (don't want to name), and always showed off the NLU tag to his same friends from the same batch, who happened to study in a private law school in Bangalore. I distinctly remember one of his lines when I was in my third year of law school, " Hum log NLU wale hai, cream hote hai. Humara college sabse sought after hota hai".

After five years, the NLU guy got a job in an in-house with a pay of 25k/ month and the guy from the private law school got job in tier 1 firm in Delhi.

I get the same vibe from you, of that NLU guy.

PS: the private law school is Christ, Bangalore, here.
So you cherrypick one data point to try to prove that Christ is on average better than any of the NLUs even the "low ranked NLU"? when we speak of institutions, we compare average to average, not an isolated case.
Why don't you cut the crap and check the statistics.

Its both available on NIRF and College websites. Will speak then.
Let's debate after you checked the records on all the "average to average" colleges here and see which one is actually doing good.
The proposed "law college" will be affiliated to Calcutta Univ and everyone knows how well that has been run. For immediate reference, contact NKC. No one in NUJS should worry.
Actually, CU has been ranked second in the country in the 2021 ARWU/Shanghai rankings, behind IISC Bangalore. I do not see any NLU being in the top global rankings yet. I graduated from an NLU myself, but fail to see how some people supposedly from the NLUs consider themselves 'superior' to others, all the while happily ignoring the reality.
Do you realise CU has been one of the universities which has produced the best judges and litigators over the years? Let alone that, any idea how many Tier-1 law firm partners/senior partners are from CU?
Dude, stop using ancient data . NLUs did not exist then and Kolkata was the second business capital of India after Mumbai before communist rule. CU is rubbish now and Mamata has made Bengal sink even lower than the communists did.
A glance at 3.1 will be enough to dispel this myth that you are suffering under.
Don't presume, mate. Obviously the standards have gone down, but they aren't doing as bad as you think. Can personally vouch for the same.
Turns out, tution at the university's department of law is 1500 rupees a year, what are you expecting?
The university is more than 100 years old, of course it would be "mind blowing!".
Trust me, this list does not include even 30% of the notable alumni we have had. At anytime, 70%-90% of the HC sitting justices in Calcutta HC are from our Department. We literally had 6 sitting HC justices as guest to judge our fresher's moot :P
If you are judging the alumni quality, it may be a good idea to do so from 2000 onward, once options like NUJS also became available in the same city. I'm not saying CU is bad though, unlike a few other comments in this thread. Especially if one intends to litigate, it is as good a government place as any and cheaper than most.
The alumni base is the only real thing we have going for us(apart from location and affordability), why would you stymie or exclude that? Ofcourse justices and other notable alumni would have graduated before 2000, which will render the comparision skewed.
Exclusion from comparison. It's meaningless to compare two things from two different timelines. If your alumni post 2000 are not doing well compared to NUJS alumni, then that clearly conveys a message about the current state of affairs.
But then you would have to discount the massive capital expenditure and other funding and the "national" prefix bestowed by the state government on a state university. These are not different timelines, you compare things as they exist or you don't.
Err...CU gets way more state funding than NUJS ever did. Why do you think the tuition fees are so low? As for timelines, it has to be post-2000 for basic comparison. How would you know whether students would have opted for other places if those options did not exist? If CU cannot boast of alumni graduating after 2000, then it is plain that good alumni are no longer there. You can rely on old alumni only up to a certain point, and even they will often show inclination towards better students from NLUs eventually.
Cu is a multi disciplinary University comprised of hundreds of colleges while nujs is a law "college", account for this and you would realise how much of a head start nujs had owing to the generosity of the state government. I'm not complaining here, things will never be cherries and roses, but these attempts at cherry picking and gerrymandering are sketchy at best. Alas I give way to the fact that nujs , as it stands, is in a different league.
Undoubtedly, NUJS at the moment is better, but CU (at least the main campus) for what it offers at 750 rupees per semester, is nowhere close to being bad.
You have no attendance issues, so you can intern/work year long (worked in my favour), just for the exams.
You have no travelling/lodging issues.
It is affordable for everyone and super-cheap decent hostels are provided for around 200 hundred a month.
Most senior partners to litigators are from your college, so it helps.

At the end of the day if you do work hard and make the most of what is offered to you, it is surely not as bad as people find CU to be.
If you intern throughout the year, when do you study exactly? Add to that the lack of legal research databases that most NLUs take for granted these days.
What dumb comments! CU is not even in the NIRF top 30 for law. How can you cite alumni from decades ago? An dyes, RMLNLU is a million times better than CU.
"Million times" made me look up rmlnlu's Wikipedia page, does not even have an "Alumni" section after 15 years of existence. On the other hand, hazra has churned out presidents and chief justices of three countries and a prime minister of another. Obviously the guys at the top would have graduated decades ago. This comment should be marked trollish. I hope as per your claims, rmnlu gives us even a single, let alone a million presidents and chief justices.