Read 11 comments as:
Filter By
Is there anyone here on Legally India who took a second drop (prepared for CLAT alongside college) and made it to tier-1 NLUs? Why did you do it? How did the decision impact your life and how are you doing currently in your batch? I'm considering to take give the exam again while studying in first year but I'm not sure as I would be 20~21 when I join college. My sole reason behind considering the idea of second drop is that I want to build a career in public policy and I'm studying at a private law school (not SLS and Jindal).
Don't worry, friend. As a person currently studying in a Tier 1 NLU, I have come across many people who prepared alongside college. I know a friend who got into a Tier 2 NLU only to prepare again and get NALSAR in the next attempt.
While a third attempt may not be common, its unconventionality should not be a reason for you to not do it.
Its just that the society and even the peers make it sound like such a big deal. Life is bigger than a profit or loss statement. A decade down the line, this year would vanish to give way for happier times.

In fact, it is common for people outside India (Especially in the States) to start studying law at older ages due to the cost of legal education.
If you're sure law is something you want to do, another year shouldn't be a deterrent.
Everything works out in the end, you've just got to hang in there to see it happen.

Best of luck for your preparation!
I took a drop from RGNUL and joined NLUJ. Totally worth it. Rgnool was more like a school and had minimal exposure. Unnecessarily long class hours and pathetic faculty. No cab service and autowalas take 500 bucks to patiala. Academic block classes at 5 so nothing happens at night like debating nights or all that stuff. Even debating is closed to some English speaking kids who think they are successful in life because they are part of the debating society. Better study in some decent pvt colleges in city. Don't join anything after GNLU. NLIU and HNLU is also fine I guess.

BTW I couldn't get in to a single committee in Rgnul in my time there because of favourtism
Now I have worked in numerous committees and am placed at Khaitan.
Abbe feku... If you joined nluj why write nliu 22? Need to check your previous post where you used this name to malign someone
It is just society and peer pressure that makes dropping a big deal. A dropped candidate getting to pass out from a top IIT, top NLU or a top IIM if infinitely better than someone who just DID NOT TRY because of fear of dropping out AND ended up at a below par college that would not even give them a respectable job. It is all bout trying. I see you are already studying at a private college. It is not that you are sitting idle at home. If you can make it to NLS or NALSAR or any other top NLU it will be worth it. If not you get to anyways continue at your private school. I will say this is win win situation. From private school may be the odds will not be heavily in your favor to land a big 6 job right away. But with hard work you can make up for it easily over the years. Either ways you will have to put up some years.
first time I took drop and gave clat, things went wrong in 2020 but in 2021, I wrote again and ended up at tier 1 institutions. You need to persist despite everything and practice current affairs and DI daily. Solve mocks on a regular basis and you will be easily able to crack clat. All the best!
Hey another kdrama fan,
you should believe in yourself and study regularly with a focused mindset and you will easily get into a tier 1 institution. even I took a 2 year drop and got in that way. If this is what matters to you then you should do no matter what other people say or do. Do not pay heed to the naysayers. All the best for your preparation
I feel the comments are generally showing one side of the story (which is obvious because most of us being from law colleges or passouts, and top ones at that too only know the success story). I just want to put forth a chance that there might be individuals who didn't get the top NLU or the college they wanted in the third attempt too (yes it's very unlikely with the level of CLAT exam and the prep needed but remeber the exams are unpredictable as hell).

Just incase you don't get the best of the colleges even after a second drop and you're made to choose any local college/private one, then you'll finish your 5 year undergraduate in 8 years (twice the time Btech takes)

Hence it's always advisable to pick up a local college or a decent private uni and prepare side by side if you want the best of exposures. Although as a sidenote you'll find many (and many) people doing generally well from colleges other than the ones you want to get a seat in by dropping for CLAT.

Ps- sorry for being pessimistic but a reality check is needed in terms of both perspectives esp at the point in time OP is.
Well, some people on this thread about the chances of not making it. While it is a realistic possibility, I think you should go forward with what you think is appropriate. I know about 6/7 people belonging to NLSIU, NALSAR, NLUD who have been selected after taking a two year drop. So dont worry about it too much and focus on your preparation. If you get selected, you will be hundred times better than people at lower tier institutions. While the common understanding is that college doesn't matter but in reality it so does. Many great jobs open up to people with good institutions from higher NLUs, this may not be publicly admitted but colleges do matter. While it said that NLUs wagers dont matter in real life jobs and it just clat related truth be told, India has a strange obsession with college that lingers onto your cv as well. So, do not worry, take another drop aaramse give it a do and most importantly, whatever choice you make do not regret it later. :))
Could you back β€œ100 times better”with only sheer numbers, don’t misguide people. Your college matters for the brief years right after your college, you won’t see anyone in their mid 30s being rated basis their college name than the experience or skills they possess (and mind you many tier 1s in their 30s are not just from the top college) . If somebody believes that an undergrad exam (that too with the history of. CLAT)is the only metric to great lawyers, then congrats to all of them.
Most legally India threads have students lingering here than the working professionals from within the industry, wish more SAs or PAs had the time to waste their lives like you and me on this forum, because certain myths need to be busted here. Baaki karlo try, hope to see you in NLIU next year.(or better)