Read 81 comments as:
Filter By
Khaitan sent a mail saying that we don’t encourage associates coming to office and took a dig at CAM.
β€œOnly the utterly foolish allow themselves to be tricked a second time”

In the last few days many reports and studies have been published which consider the advent of a third wave to be almost an absolute certainty. These include the studies by the public health department of the state of Maharashtra and the Ministry of Home Affairs, ICMR among many others. Leading health organizations have predicted that the third wave will begin by end of September/early October, with its peak in October end. Only recently, a leading media house has reported that the third wave might result in around 60 lakh cases in Maharashtra alone, with 1.3 lakh cases per day at peak level. It is a fact that everyday cases in India have been increasing recently which cannot be completely disregarded.
Additionally, the upcoming festive season might lead to a sudden increase in cases. The Ganesh Chaturthi celebration in Mumbai is one of the biggest in the country and can lead to a surge in infections.
Hopefully CAM considers all these factors before opening the offices.
I am looking to join Desai & Diwanji's corporate team in Gurgaon. How are the people, the work culture and pay at A3 level?
Even the increments announced are nowhere near the grand announcement made in Bar and Bench.

Plus, even the grand announcement of WFH policy ended up getting scrapped. Can't even trust anything the firm says these days.

High time to at least work for an employer who's true to their words.
They are as much as in B&B, which says "upto" X. There is steep differentiation across bands. So while I feel sorry that generally people are disappointed, this was always to be expected with CAM.
Stop justifying, it was publicity gimmick to announce such numbers without announcing it to retainers.A retainer level/band hike is across the level and uniform.This seems like nothing but an appraisal hike with 9 rating buckets and the highest bucket pay got announced as "Upto" band hike.
But that's the case with every firm. It's the case with Trilegal's hike as well, and all other firms. You think it is uniform there?
Stop giving covid excuses. We know you just want so save rent money.
Bhaiya ji, even if one does want to save rent money, aapka kya jaa raha hai? You're getting all the deliverables on time, aren't you? Billing is being done, isn't it?

Or do you not get the full thrill of bullying juniors in person by making inane comments on the internet?
Bhai, firms should stop giving COVID excuses. Firms have seen record revenues in the year, and zero redistribution to associates - partners and equity partners are making merry. Firms have even cut pay and escaped from giving normal course increments. What about that?
I have the same question - why is 3.2 marked as trollish? It's factually correct for a large section of the law firms.
Good lord! Third wave third wave third wave third wave!!???

Fully vaccinated people are enjoying even non essential stuff like cricket and football in jam packed stadiums, yet on this platform, fully vaccinated young people spend half their time scaring people about 3rd wave. This madness has been going on for months now!

Atleast be honest about the reason. There is absolutely nothing wrong in saying you don't want offices to reopen because you don't want to spend a substantial portion of your income on rent. Say it openly.

A large section of the country has got vaccinated. A much larger section has already got covid (refer to serosurveys). Very few people in even the biggest cities wear masks or follow social distancing protocols....so if you are that paranoid of covid, then be prepared to never leave your home. Statistically, there's a greater probability of dying from so many of the mundane tasks you engage in on a daily basis then from covid, if you are young and fully vaccinated. The statistical probability of a fully vaccinated person spreading Covid to another fully vaccinated person is also very low.
no they won't because the top management does not really care or even pretend to care about its retainers. Sending increment letters almost a month after the press release, lying about the numbers and hike, forcing people to work from office when the third wave is inevitable all shows how they want to be ahead of the curve.
Is there anyway the associates can make the management understand the gravity of the situation? When a couple of us talked to our mentors/ partners - they were all adamant that the office shall re-open. Even the BOMBAY HIGH COURT has taken a cautious approach due to rising cases and is planning to go fully hybrid.

I'll never be able to understand what's the rush. And sadly, no one is there to even make us understand.
If you cannot understand the management, the management will never understand you. You'll are only ungrateful to eat the money and shut down the firm by gossiping
You do realise that venturing out during third wave for office can actually lead to an 'untimely death'.
Isn't it too harsh a consequence for something that can be avoided by being WFH?

Do you also realise then the gravity of your comment what 'weeding out the dead' would actually in the literal sense mean 'those who go to office would have to live with the actual fear of dying or getting hospitalised with severe issues?' Would the firm be willing to pay the family after death, considering its policies led to such an event. Or would it even pay the exorbitant hospital bills, for whatever this virus might do to us? Would they?
If they do, I am fine with going to office at the cost of my personal health, knowing that if something were to happen to me, the firm would take care of my family's financial needs.

But, would it? When it's actually avoidable and there is a cheaper alternative of just allowing work from home.
But who will explain this to management-you? That's if at all management agrees to reconsider its decision
Why such a defeatist attitude?
Yes, I will. Atleast I tried. Rather than not trying and assuming.
What did you tell the firm and whom, what was firm reaction?will they consider making it optional
CAM refuses to see and understand the risks with restarting physical office tgat associates see.It refuses to heed the protests of it's associates.The increments done with no transparency shows little respect for associates.Associates are missing the loud and clear message - management has made up their mind,what associates say or react is not important.
What is wrong with CAM honestly? Cases are the highest in two months again and yet they're acting mum.

Will they again do a last moment turn back like in March just when people are starting to die?

I don't ever want to work for an organization like this again!
Serious bunch of entitled people.

All of you should open a new firm. Have the best pay, best clients, best work life balance. Show the world how its done. By year end, when papas money dries up, you know the HR's email ID.
Pretty sure a law firm is not run by being a dictator and taking unilateral decisions that affect people, their lives and their families' lives as well. If your retainers are uncomfortable about something, then you can't force them to do it.
It's their firm. They can run it as they please. If you have a problem, no one has asked you to stay back
You would be habituated to extortion and free labour. That much is clear from your chosen handle.
It is because of people like you that juniors absolutely hate their jobs, and just leave law altogether. You sir/ma'am and your tribe is the reason why law firms are so toxic in the first place. Get a life! Stop imposing your thinking on first years that these law firms are the be all of the world of law or life.

We can literally do a lot of other things even though we took a law degree. We are not thag helpless. On the other hand, it is clear that your beloved law firm HRs are helpless so they keep messaging people asking whether they are looking to join or shift.

Best regards,
Haatim
Dear SA/Pa/mid level or whatever,

Spewing venom is an art that juniors have learnt from the likes of you. The future generation of lawyers will be better off without the likes of toxic seniors like you. Wish you and your blood pressure well :)
And that’s the reason why you chose to whine anonymously rather than upping the ante putting in your papers and starting to do one of the many other things that you could.

There is so so much anonymous hate for the Lalaji firms but not enough resignation for them to change what they are doing.
I would, I would good sire. I am just awaiting a decent opportunity and doing my research towards the same. Law firms are hell holes. Thanks for your useless contribution though.
Also, if you think that Associates have the gall to form a union and give mass resignations, then you are so mistaken about the real value of law firm associates in India. Lalaji or not, firms don't care - the HR might have to work more but they will get 100s of applications anyway. Supply> Demand always in this cruel profession.

ENOUGH resignations won't change things in the way you think they will. :)

Best regards,
Haatim
So that we can meet waste of space like you and beat the crap out of you? Does that sound motivation enough?
Why don’t you walk around massless, vaccine less and give up use it tech. Because logically that’s where you’re going with this.
The question should not be whether CAM will reconsider, because I doubt if it will.Assuming it won't,so the question is kya tum career ke liye shaheed ho jaane ko tayar?
It's pretty obvious that CAM will not reconsider, Bro.Instead of conversations on LI, better to start looking for opportunities.
Will CAM reconsider the reopening of physical office.I doubt, CAM doesn't really seem to listen or care what associates say- like last year salary cut of 6 months,attempt to reopen in oct 2020,bad bonuses, hike announced to B&B but not associates, hikes are like hyped and reopening physical office again.There is no report that profits have dipped in fact business has or is expected to improve due to covid-19 pandemic.But profits are not enough for this management that did a salary cut for 6 months in a pandemic,they now demanding associates come back to physical office.
CAM knows that associates cant do anything to make them reconsider opening physical offices.If they do open physical office and things go smoothly, associates will never stop hearing the end of how they are cribbers trying to save rent.But if associates get infected, they will ask "proof" that associates were infected at work which is impossible to prove,so no one is going to sue them Or even say a word least of all the associates.Stop resisting and start packing bags.
Just stop whining and either apply to other firms where wfh option exists, like smaller platforms or just pack up and reach office.
CAM doesn't care and it will not reconsider, does it looks like it cares if retainers are asking for wfh and they have made it mandatory?i they wanted to reconsider they would not have made it mandatory.read the writing on the wall.
Honestly, hand on heart, how many people who are cribbing about office opening haven't met their friends, haven't gone out on dinners, haven't ordered food (unless you can't cook), haven't gone on trips, haven't at all exposed took chances going out whenever it was necessary.... comeon...there will be very few. So stop cribbing, we cannot sit at home indefinitely. At senior level discussion generally is that we cannot train juniors by sitting at home, they need personal exposure. It is a very important consideration.
Many have not. And that’s not the point. Restarting offices is like hosting super spreader events daily
Personal exposure to the stuff that you crap out every hour at work? Yeah, right.
It's not about seniors training juniors, please.Its about snapping and barking orders at juniors that seniors are missing.
Haha, you are so cynical and have got no knowledge how things function. Even if for selfish reason, a senior would train his or her junior so that uska workload kum ho jaye. I don't know where you work, but unless you are so so so bad at work, only bad seniors snap. Re orders, they can give yiu those even in wfh, on email, phone, even better know, so they don't need you in front of you to do that. Stop being cynical, professional development is a two way street.
Hand on heart Sir, I am extremely afraid If coronavirus Sir.But I am even more afraid that I will quit after experiencing wfh model where I didn't have to bear the toxicity and your power games I had peace and now I will not be able to bear you anymore
A 25-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
I think CAM will reconsider.
They care so much about their rep. If not for the people, they'll reconsider and chicken out eventually for the sake of their reputation.

Time will tell. CAMMIES hit us up on September 20th!
Depends on which reputation you talking about If it's market/client related they care about their rep.But when it comes to their image or rep as employer, Imo they don't care at all.Last year I think CAM was the only profitable Tier1 that cut fixed pay for 6 months, even loss making firms go slow to such an act.In all good years risk is reward only for managements, but when pandemic is causing business uncertainties the firm forces employees to bear that risk by the 6 month cut.Now this will get trolled with oh but it was paid later, it was "just a deferral". The whole point is firm is con incenggg or forcing employees to take a temp pay cut to cushion your business risk but then months later employees see the headlines of you buying a luxury flat.Making employees bear business uncertainty in a pandemic and cutting Sal when your profit making firm and justifying it with expected doomsday sceanrio is not exactly the best care for rep by any employer firm.And if they really cared they would making coming to office optional,making it mandatory and that too conveniently forgetting a permanent wfh policy you formulated and publicized to declare yourself an industry changer makes firm appear untrue to its words.
Even if CAM reconsiders now,it's very late to build any trust or credibility with their employees.You think retainers will have confidence in this firm that one year announces permanent wfh and next year announces mandatory physical office?
I agree with this.There is generally a press release first whether its the wfh policy or retainer hikes and then the "reality" turns out something disappointing.Dont make such press releases so vastly different from the real deal,it's too much hype.
As far as I recall either CAM is in news for it's own press releases like new office, retainer hike, permanent wfh pol iny Or for wrong news like nirav modi case raids on their office, icici case or Ilfs case Or retainers news of salary cuts,attritions, exits, calling competitor smaller platforms, hiring news, mandatory physical office etc.I guess a lot of this being negative news caused a hit to their rep.They definitely need new PR agent if they want to improve their reputation.
The PR is hyped but it's bad because the policy or news is bad.Why PR being blamed for bad policies?
CAM will reconsider if and when third wave covid-19 restrictions are announced.I don't think it's got to do anything with market rep.It clearly to be the "leader" in opening up physical office.
Unfortunately CAM retainer or employee policies dont seem pro-employee in the last two years of pandemic due to the 6 month part salary deferral, the wfh policy given wide publicity but not applied, the retainers hikes announced in media but internally by individual letters etc.Now the demand of physical office for all which is a little shocking since they were the first to consider a permanent wfh model.CAM should actually reconsider at least from covid-19 risk point of view.
You could be right.They may reconsider from the rep perspective but not people's demand perspective.
Khaitan starting physical office anytime soon?Heard it's one of the few firms planning to extend the wfh model till year end, how true is that news?
A 18-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.