Read 40 comments as:
Filter By
How is social life on campus, do "elite" groups actually exist (as I have read on other conversations), does your economic background actually play a role in determining who you can hang around with?
Yeah . Law school is like the rest of the world. There are cliques and they’re based on wealth/ where in the country one comes from/caste/gender.

But nothings set in stone also. People are generally nice only. You’ll also make friends based on your interests, whether you like to read/ play music/ play sports/ debate/ grow herbs whatever.
Your economic background doesn't have any bearing on who you make friends with. The "grouping" referred to in other conversations is mainly regional, i.e. people from one region tend to either hang out with people from their own region or with other metro city kids. This is just because some people are more comfortable making friends with someone conversant in their own language/ in English (which is what makes people think there is an "elite" divide - because those more comfortable with English rather than Hindi would make friends with other English-speaking kids. However, Hindi speakers who claim elitism never realise how annoying it is to keep trying to translate things in your head before you talk to them, and never try to reciprocate in your own language - which is why there are "northie groups" v. "metro kids" they see as "elite").

On a more cultural level, those from the same region also tend to have more in common with others from that region, i.e. same TV shows, same festivals, same cultural phenomena, which is why they gel well together. That's why I have personally seen more regional/metro grouping as opposed to "rich v. middle class v. poor" grouping.
Actually this wasn't so much of an issue when we were in Law School, before they let in the riff-raff who mug coaching material in Begausarai or wherever.
"riff-raff who mug coaching material in Begausarai or wherever"
You reek of elitist and contemptuous attitude
For sure at NLUJ. Doon Mayo Modern type SoBo South Delhi crowd invariably hangs together. People are civil to each other nevertheless but in a residential context so much is determined by how much money you can afford to spend. Apart from generally having wildly different lived experienced of the world.
As someone from an ordinary private school in Delhi NCR even with the privilege of speaking "proper" English etc. you can maybe be friends with an individual person from this social strata but you can't really be in their group. Can't afford 5k every weekend or the expensive sort of gifts they give each other on birthdays or understand the Diwali card parties. These are just examples. But yeah in my experience law school is stratified just the way the world is. There are a few individual outlying friendships though. At NLUJ this shows in the mooting vac scheme culture also, whether people deny it or not. This is in some part due to the nature of activities themselves.
No matter how smart I may be, I cannot possibly justify or even find the money to spend 2 lakhs on Vis when I'm in law school on loans. Let alone party like that crowd. Its not necessarily a bad thing but groupings arise naturally and then spread across social and even college activities.
Seconded. I am happy that at least the moots are funded in our university, though it is invariably the 'elites' who do most of the prestigious international moots.
Yes so true!!! Especially with Vis Vienna, Jessup and more with Vis East!! The only teams that get to go to those "tier 1 moots" are the teams who are friends with the previous teams because they always coach them and give them materials and access to books and documents from their foreign law schools because a lot of them are doing LLM abroad and they get advantage over the other teams competing with them in the challenger rounds. Almost all these people are from South Bombay south Delhi Bangalore and even middle East like Dubai. Even though nalsar gives funding these teams have formed a mafia and blocked funding to other moots like WTO ELSA and IMLAM to ensure more money for vis and Jessup. They do not even need this much funding and they use it to party in Europe and Hong Kong. They also only agree to coach teams that are like them and 'elite'. For eg. member of Vis East team from 2015 coached 2016 team and member of 2016 team coached 2017 team and so on till even today the same people are involved. And the same people or their close friends then also do Vis Vienna and Jessup. People from underprivileged background cannot even think of breaking into this mafia. Since all these teams are close with each other they also use this influence to sway votes in moot court general body meetings to block funding and get other privileges. This elitism needs to stop.
Seconded - and this is not just for moots.
A particular senior was the son of a famous lawyer, and all the 'Yo-gang' individuals from the batch 'interned' at his firm without really doing anything.
Our juniors who come from the same metropolitan or poker-playing groups still continue to get those opportunities for which students from low-income households & semi-urban settings simply could never dream of.
Similarly, our immediate junior batch has a person whose father is close with a managing partner of a famous law firm β€” so undoubtedly, all the South Bombay/South Delhi/way too rich students from their batch's Yo-gang are 'interning' there!

Honestly, the elite nature of such Yo-gang friendships at Nalsar shows up everywhere - from debating, mooting, internships, collectively writing of answers with highly qualified friends' siblings/parents, to recruitment connections.

Here's to hoping that future batches care more about things other than exclusionary elitist symbiotic Yo-gangs.
Are there any top nlus where this doesn’t happen? And in which ones is it most prevalent?
This is why I love the 3+3 model. By the time you study at law school, you're a grown-up with dynamic experience and are not aloof of the vicissitudes of life and struggle people go through - mostly, not generalizing. Young lads just out of school don't have that maturity. I'm myself 19, but the way some lads talk, eulogize, and chastise makes me throw up.

Dad tells me always: kabhi baap ke paiso ka ghamand mat karna, make your own mark then only you'll realize, consequently, become humble.
Ditto for Law School while I was there, but the admin financed international moots/ADR. So mooting was considered a "meritocratic" thing which anyone could do if they worked hard (whatever that means). Even vacation schemes it went to the CGPA toppers, in fact many suave elite kids who were outside the topper bracket (but in the top 15-20) invariably lost out to the toppers.
Don’t worry. People here are exaggerating. There isn’t much of a rich-poor divide. It’s mainly who can or cannot speak English properly which is something you can pick up.
Definitely exists at NUJS. Elite and privileged people ridicule you not only on the basis of your finances but also on the basis of geography ( say you live in North Bombay instead of South Bombay). Having said that, you just have to find the right set of people in law school. I discovered mine in my second year and never left them. These are the people you would go to mess, gym , library, outings, etc. Finding the right group is v important to have a non-toxic journey in an otherwise cut throat environment. I wish you find them. All the best!
I am from nujs and I have never seen this. People all kinds of social backgrounds hang out with each other.
It is not everywhere but it certainly exists. I have a friend from outskirts of Bombay who did not go to the last Maharashtra dinner because a sobo guy told her that she shouldn’t come as she doesn’t live in Bombay. That’s not the usually the case, most people tend to have a screw and they do back off if you stand up for yourself. You need to find your own friends and community to be happy and retain your sanity here. Don’t be a doormat to them.
Why would someone outside of bombay not be allowed in Maharashtra dinner?
Can verify. It’s about the 2018 dinner. Think hard about who didn’t come and what you all told them.
Was making a point about its been a while, college has gone in a different (over inclusionary) direction.

Also, this was a Maharashtra dinner - even if your friend felt bad about being told not to come coz she's from outside/outskirts of Mumbai, she's still FROM Maharashtra.

As for myself - I am not from Mumbai, giving away where I am from will give away my identity so shhhhh...
So when I was at NUJS, after the first few days of everyone mingling with everyone else, we started hearing things like "cool group" and "uncool" group.

I was flabbergasted to know that such a distinction had gained ground in people's consciousness. I wanted to understand how was it decided who was cool or uncool. Then someone told me people from Metros are by default in the 'cool' group.

I used to be a simpleton who would grin at everyone, but when I stopped getting those back, unlike in my small town where I would, always get grinned back at, then the reality hit me and it felt like being banished from the inner paradise into a life of feeling othered and sidelined.

It had such an effect on my confidence, that despite being a consistent awardee back at school, I used to feature at the bottom of whatever little debates or moots I participated in the first 2 years.

It seems amusing now. Yea, but I wouldn't attribute it to any inherent evil nature of any elites or privileged ones. It's just 'birds of the same feather flock together' principle at play. No harm there. We don't have an entitled ticket to any social circle and groups can limit access and entry to their cliques. Instead, it was my failure to reformulate the new experiences into a reimagined idea of the self, even as I crippled myself into nihilistic inaction.
Bahut ho gaya denial. Of course it exists. Of course it exists in all spheres. It arises from like-mindedness among people from a common social and cultural environment and consumption habits. You can never be an insider in a group where you don't intrinsically belong. There is a difference in being friendly with the members of such a group and being a part of that group. It exists there as anywhere else. You can't prevent it, but you can be your own self or find those whom you more naturally identify with. Only thing, never ever try to artificially try to make yourself something you're not, to get into a group
To all the so-called "elites" - Why do you look down upon people who are not financially on your level? What do you think of yourself? Definitely, there are people who are way richer than. What would happen if they look at you in a condescending way? What a retard you all are.
Groupism exists, metro crowd takes away good opportunities because our Education system is still obsessed with english and this career is related to speaking and communication skills

The best thing is to work on yourself and be proud of your language, upbringing and schooling. Be so amazing and active that people would talk to you either because of your personality or their need. Don’t let anything hamper your personal growth.
I was in the NLU in Bhopal a few years ago. There was a group of people who got together because they belonged to certain subaltern communities and castes. They were very proud and showed off their communal pride. It reflected their attitude towards other students. It was quite deep-rooted and people who came from good families with bureaucratic and political background and had affluence were gung-ho about it. It was very weird to experience and I for one did not expect the same to happen. But then it is what it is. When being part of such esteemed background did not prevent people from being casteist and proud, it was very sad.