Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, so this is my second internship with a Tier-1 firm and thankfully in the same team, yet even my last internship I was only in contact with 2 A1s who have eventually left the firm and similarly in this internship, I am again only in touch with 2 A1s. Any idea as to how should I tackle this for getting placed here?
Ask them to assign you something the partner will see and honestly ask if they could put in a good word.
Won't it sound rude? I don't really want to piss them off. I apologize if this comes of as a stupid question.
Hi, so the A0 is barely a year or two older than you so unlikely that you could piss them off with what is a fairly genuine request.
I am an A0 at one of these firms and I know too little about my team to help my team's interns. So if your A0 does not help you out, good chance that it is because they do not know what or how to do than them not wanting to help you or them not liking your work.
And think boss, they joined the firm like a month ago and that too virtually, not much they know either.
If an A0 gets annoyed at an intern, its unfair and is probably because the A0 is stressed out or is not a nice person.
Thank you for this. The problem is even the general work flow is quite intermittent which I believe is due to the virtual set up. This is the end of my second week, I believe I'll ask them directly next week and see there response. Thanks again!
Adding to NLUJ's point above, if asking them to introduce you to the partner seem too much of a stretch, ask them to connect you with the Senior Associate/ Principal Associate/ Counsel in the team. People at this level have a better chance of getting you to be noticed by the partner, if they like your work.
Try and build a good professional relationship with them. If they start trusting you with good work you can definitely get a chance to work with a partner ( though it can be as small as briefing) but it still matters because that is the only contact you have in virtual internships.
+1
Build a rapport with the A0/A1. Tell them that you are looking to get absorbed in the team. Also request you them to get you in touch with an SA / PA in the firm who can guide you properly.

Alternatively, you can also write to the PA/SA - request for a 5 min phone fall. In your email / msg, mention it clearly that it is your second internship. When you get the chance to talk to them, tell them that you are looking for a job.

Keep in mind to not to write to an SA/ PA who has recently joined as s/he would still be trying to get adjusted.
Hi, thank you so much for the suggestion. However, I had a doubt, in a situation where the SA/PA has not given me any work, asking them for a job, won't it be unfair for them to judge?
No, it won't.
If they are decent human beings, they will get in touch with the A0/A1s who have allotted work to you for feedback. Alternatively, they will assign you some work. If your internship is already over, they will ask for your time sheets. The important thing is that you communicate very clearly. Do not be servile or shy. If required, mention the work you have done.

Also, first try approaching through the A0/A1, if that does not work, try approaching them directly. Also, if no one seems helpful, you can also approach the partner through the Executive Assistant. Just be a bit tactful.

All the best!
Stay in touch with your A0's seniors. Indirectly keep apprising them about what all you've worked on with the A0. Do it once a week or something. Out of sight, out of mind.
Hi, thank you all for your suggestions, while I plan on implementing them the only downside is that 2 weeks out of my 4 week tenure is already over wherein the HR took 1 week to allot me to this team. Is there still time to play it cool and take time in building the rapport or do I go head first?
See, you are looking for a job - that is your motivation for this internship. Let this be known to the concerned persons (i.e. those who could help you enter the team formally) at the earliest. Do not waste time.
Hi, thank you for the response! While I completely agree that this should act as a motivation. My two reservations are: firstly that the work flow has been very intermittent. Like two weeks into the internship hardly 10 assignments even after requesting for work. Secondly, I have no idea if the firm is hiring at all. But I guess only the team members can help me with this.
Hi everyone OP here, so it's my last week and I followed your suggestions and spoke with the associates (A1), apparently the team only has 2 associates and the SA had quit last month. So currently, it's just the associates and the Partner. The associates asked me to send an introductory mail to the partner and mark them as well. But no response from the partner. Please help me out! I even blatantly ask for the associates feedback and they said it's good!
Write to the Partner again. This must be a junior partner with limited resources. Try writing to the practise head.
Follow up on the email you sent to the partner. Push associates to follow up as well but don't be too pushy cause you don't wanna annoy them. Maybe ask for the partner's personal number from the associates and send him a formal text following up on the email?