Read 31 comments as:
Filter By
If money isn’t an issue at all, should one prefer NLUJ or JGLS?
Please give reasoning with your answers and not just your answers.
Thanks.
If you want corporate law, NLUJ. If you want policy, academia etc. Jindal is a better place to be. Great teachers. NLUJ alumni that have done great are also well represented there in the faculty xD I would say not Jindal only to people who would have to do it on a loan etc. I for one, would not be rich enough to fit in even if i could pay fees and I think that level of disconnect can be very hard, heard from friends there. If you can comfortably afford it, Jindal anyday for the learning. NLUJ for the snootiness factor of making it on merit etc. Not worth chasing that tag tho I think when you can afford fantastic teachers like Jindal has to offer.
I don't understand these pretensions that somehow great profs will lead to better policy professionals and academicians, however, it would be irrelevant for corp. Commercial laws also require your research and articulation skills to be on point in case you wish to make it to good firm. All you need is access to the relevant databases which both colleges provide in equal measure.

Such research skills you can pick up on your own if you have a basic degree of competence and social skills to ask seniors and peers. GLC also produces some stellar lawyers, many of whom barely went to college if at all. Such hogwash. NO law school is going to adequately prepare you for your career, you'll basically be re-skilling yourself once you join whatever career path you've chosen for yourself/have been constrained to choose.

Stop misleading kids with such half-baked statements.
Beg to differ. NLUJ hardly has prof's that have done LLMs from great places or really "made it" in academia or policy, as opposed to Jindal. Corporate law, you learn on the job. Teachers are indeed largely not relevant in case of corporate law. [ And by this, I mean, practicing corporate laws ]. However, if you wish to have an academic interest in different areas of the law, a great professor who has themselves gone through the grind, is actively publishing and could mentor you while you're at university, would DEFINITELY help. If everyone can do everything with the databases, why go to college at all? Just buy database subscriptions. How is it misleading people to point out which place gives you an edge where? Your comment boils down to saying college is irrelevant, with the GLC example etc. I agree that it's not a be-all end-all but it certainly can shape you one way or the other. The information is within that context.
NLUJ

Pros:
- Much better placements and alumni network. (Plus the NLU tag)
- No Domicile reservations means good batch diversity when compared to other NLUs.
- Small batch Size when compared to JGLS (120 students)
- Option to choose between B.A. LL.B and B.B.A. LL.B (Hons.)

Cons:
- Administration is not the best especially the VC.
2 of the pros you mentioned (no domicile and option to choose between BA and BBA) also apply to Jindal though.
It’s really only the batch size where jindal is disadvantaged.
Jindal has a Haryana domicile quota.
All private universities in Haryana are mandated to have that as per the Haryana Private Universities Act.
They also give special scholarships for Haryana domicile students.
It is only 10% doesnt really impact much. Also, not sure if that quota still applies now that JGLS is an IoE.
10% of a JGLS batch is equivalent to 70% of an NLU batch in terms of numbers. Just saying.
If fee is equal, Jindal can be preferred over all except NLS, NALSAR or NLUD.
Quote:
- Option to choose between B.A. LL.B and B.B.A. LL.B (Hons.)
Rest is fine but when it comes to this JGLS offers more choices ie B.A. LL.B (Hons.), B.B.A. LL.B (Hons.), and B.Com. LL.B (Hons.).
JGLS is not a bad college, in fact some fairly good kids from there. But this question is basically ridiculous. NLUJ, any day of the year.
As for reasons why you should choose NLUJ over JGLS:

If you're a kid from a big metro city, you'll grow as a person in ways you can't imagine:
i. JGLS is a bubble in terms of the fact that it's largely a bunch of rich kids. Even if someone goes there after taking student loans (although I don't understand why anyone in their right mind would), you need to have a certain degree of affluence or otherwise that loan would not have been extended to you. In contrast, you'll see the entire spectrum of socioeconomic classes at NLUJ. You have the ultra rich kids, you have the affluent and the moderately affluent and you also have the not so affluent who make it there somehow or the other after taking loans (since NLUJ isn't exactly cheap either) and give it their all. The diversity of mindsets you see really makes you think about things, if you're willing to.
ii. JGLS kids, as I understand it, will largely hang around their party spots in the middle of nowhere or be constrained to come to Delhi. In contrast, NLUJ kids have to go to Jodhpur, in addition to their party spots in the middle of nowhere, and dealing with that place as a metro kid will make you grow in ways you'll realize much later but also be thankful for.
iii. There is also something to be said for braving it out in a (sort of) remote part of Rajasthan in the conditions that you'll face as opposed to the also remote but much more well resourced JGLS campus. Toughens you as a person. This might be a negative for some but I don't think it ought to be in the longer run that is life.

However, goes without saying that the above is contingent upon return to a physical functioning of college.

Opportunities: NLUJ will give you more opportunities than JGLS can afford to simply on account of market perceptions. Mind you, some of these are not fair and are fairly arbitrary but you'll always be at an advantage in terms of how you're perceived not only once you start working but also while you're interning:
i. JGLS has apparently begun placing kids with firms in their Day 0, and it's honestly great to see some firms try to break away from the NLU only bullshit, but you will have more firms and companies as potential employers at NLUJ. One may assume that JGLS kids have a fair degree of connections (although I don't think that's always the case) and you can get placed via that route, however, there is something to be said for "making it on your own" (not to say JGLS kids don't but just the likelihood is higher in NLUJ). Further add to this fact that NLUJ has a batch of 115, of which only 70 max (or let's be charitable and make it 80 because why not) tend to opt for corporate jobs. This is as compared to the mammoth batches JGLS has across both 3 year and 5 year. The 5 year batch itself is multiples of hundred. Statistically, you're better off at NLUJ in terms of getting opportunities.
ii. Even when you're interning, and as absurd as it is, some people judge you on the basis of the college that you're from. As an NLU student, I myself would be perplexed when equally competent fellow interns would be passed over and I would be given work. But that's the way it is.
iii. There is also a great network of NLUJ alums who make each other aware of opportunities as they arise and open doors for fellow alums that way.
iv. In case you want to practise outside of India, the JGLS route will require you to do an LLM. However, NLUJ has had a history of 3-4 Training Contracts with Magic and Silver Circle firms' London offices each year. You will have to have good grades and a well rounded CV but it is very much possible if you work hard enough through out the first 4 years of college.
v. In case anyone is of the opinion that the exchange programmes JGLS offers is somehow going to negate all of the above, they are sadly mistaken. Those only have a limited value, if any, and you would've been foreign firms pick up JGLS grads straight out of law school if this "experience of foreign jurisdictions and academia" did really count in any meaningful manner.

It would be absurd to suggest that any NLU offers a faculty comparable to JGLS simply because these NLUs don't have that kind of founder backing in terms of investment (and also fee). But what you see at NLUs (in my experience) is students taking charge of what they are taught. Further, no law school faculty will ever adequately prepare you for active practise. If NLU students had been adversely affected in terms of the quality of their work on account of the faculty, you would've seen it reflected in their achievements and placement figures. What you do see is some NLUs doing better and better, and others like NLUJ maintaining their previous momentum.

Your college does not define who you are and what kind of a lawyer will be, however, it can substantially alter the course that your career takes. Choose wisely. This is not to say that JGLS isn't a good place to study law, however, some of the kids falling for the JGLS PR is a bit baffling as a practising lawyer.
You might be surprised but it's not hard to express some basic views quickly when you have the basic cognitive ability to formulate your next point while articulating the present one, and have a basic degree of competence in terms of typing speed.
Training contracts are worthless under the new regime and also to be noted that plenty of JGLS kids have also got them. Also, saying JGLS kids get jobs/internships mainly because of their connections is just plain accusatory.
How many JGLS students have received training contracts in the last 7 years and in which foreign firms?
Hi, everything’s fine and all but why would you make statements about Jindal when you know about it. Most of the facts there are false and certainly not what a jgls student experiences first hand.

What degrees of stereotyping would you to steep to in order to slander here

“JGLS has apparently begun placing kids with firms in their Day 0, and it's honestly great to see some firms try to break away from the NLU only bullshit, but you will have more firms and companies as potential employers at NLUJ. One may assume that JGLS kids have a fair degree of connections (although I don't think that's always the case) and you can get placed via that route, however, there is something to be said for "making it on your own" (not to say JGLS kids don't but just the likelihood is higher in NLUJ).”

Do you think the profit making machines that tier-1 firms are, would recruit an incompetent associate only because they had connections? Nobody gives a job dude. You’re trivialising the efforts of a lot of kids who put all nighters just like you to get those jobs. I get that you might have some sense of rivalry here which gives you the purpose to slander and stereotype but atleast as a fellow law student don’t trivialise the efforts of people like you? Call out the students for their privilege and we would concede that. But atleast don’t trivialise the efforts man. Everyone has earned it.

Most of what you’ve said is absolutely bullshit. Who brings training contracts in a discussion man? Even if you did you could have done your research? Go to linkedin and check the numbers. Infact Jindal has a specific MoU with White and Case if you do not already know about it. Except for the pandemic, they have reserved internships for JGLS students every semester. Nobody from Jindal even cites the exchange programmes but how foolish of you completely disregard those as per your convenience. I wonder why most of the top universities in the world have mandatory exchange programmes. Your entire comment is purely based on placements and you’ve dissected your argument about placement into 5-6 separate points to make it look like you have a lot of arguments but you have none other than placement.

I as a JGLS student could give you better arguments for choosing NLUJ over Jindal, what are they guys even teaching you?

Get a life “practicing lawyer”
How many graduates from Jindal are now working at White and Case at present in capacities other than interns?
It's heartening to see NLUJ students or alumni actually giving reasons for choosing or not choosing unlike that GNLU thread where students made blanket statements and indulged in petty mudslinging without any logical reasoning supporting their statements. Such threads really help aspirants understand the quality of a crowd in an institution. Thank you to those who are taking the time out to help with lengthy reasons.
Not all NLUJ alumni write such long and comprehensive comments. There was possibly just one of them who could spare some time at that very moment and wrote the comment. He/she is a great person but that hardly reflects upon the quality of his/her institution.

While I am neither from GNLU nor NLUJ, I cannot deny this fact that GNLU placed much more students than NLUJ. In % terms, their number is still lesser. However, they are bagging multiple other achievements which NLUJ hasn't (Rhodes Eg.).

Also, I would say that mudslinging was done the same way by NLUJ people as well. Both were equally involved. So, he who blames other must ensure that his hands are clean.
As a JGLS student who studied for a month at NLIU and then came to Jindal, I can draw some comparisons but the point is that Jindal is a very different university than any NLU. The kind of pros and cons at Jindal are also pretty different from any NLU but I’ll try to draw an unbiased comparison here. Some bias might seep in. I am ignoring the fees factor as you said.

1) Placements- As of 2021, Jindal is doing excellent beyond expectations in placements. But I would still not compare the placements with NLS-NALSAR-NUJS-NLUD-NLUJ. Placements might be more comparable to GNLU at this moment? Not sure but Jindal currently is not the top 5 in placements. We are placing 50+ in tier 1 jobs which is huge but so is our batch size. The aforementioned universities have consistently performed in placements and would never disappoint. But you’re getting in the 2021-2026 batch and the top 5 in placement rankings might have changed because Jindal is improving at a really high pace. But the top 5 have been stagnant with their placements and they will be a safe bet even after 5 years (there’s not much scope of improvement when you’re already at the top). So if good placement is all that matters to you, I’d suggest you go with NLUJ because its a safe option. Excellent placements and it will continue to be a university of excellence 5 years later too. No risk. While when you’re coming to JGLS you’re making a calculated risk on future based on JGLS’ past performance. Another reason why I would not suggest JGLS is because JGLS will only have some partners in law firms (currently it has none) while NLUJ will have quite a lot.

For some people this single consideration might outweigh all others so here’s your answer.

But please note this one fact which is true for all universities. When I got into NLIU, I was extremely happy because I was influenced by the placement stats. I was made aware of reality in the very first week at NLIU. Same happened to my peer at NLUD. The placement stats that you see are not accurate but rather misleading, be it any NLU or Jindal or Symbiosis. Everyone inflates. You’ll know that from your seniors when you get into a university.

2) Infrastructure and College life: JGLS anyday for infrastructure. I don’t think anyone would object to this. You’ll get state of the art hostels, classrooms, library and sports infrastructure. College life is really subjective. To me, I can not in a thousand lives find a better university life than Jindal. It has simply changed me in every way. And all that BS about it being in Sonipat and all, don’t believe that. You’ll be wherever you want to be and party harder than anyone, it’s not a hassle when you’re in Jindal. But there are other positive and negative aspects to college life which I’ll state here. When I went to NLIU, I was subjected to homophobic slurs (not with ill will but they were simply unaware and thought it was ok) due to the way I walk and I found some students to be really rude while Jindal is a really inclusive environment. But the con side is that, I am not really affluent and when I came to Jindal, I faced this inferiority complex when I bought a bottle of old monk and the guy next to me would buy a chivas in his gucci sneakers. Nobody will impose their affluence on you or troll you for your financial standards but some of them would flaunt theirs. I came to terms with it in 6 months and now it doesn’t affect me. But personal experiences are different for everyone so I had to state these here. Although this shouldn’t be the sole consideration for choosing JGLS over NLUJ, but I would choose JGLS over NLUJ anyday if this were to be considered.

3) Academics and faculty- Faculty at JGLS is simply excellent and I won’t waste any words on this. The academic structure and syllabus is also really good. Most of my friends at NLUs ask me for course manuals and readings at Jindal for any particular subject. Academics and faculty, JGLS it is.

4) Peer group- At NLU J you will find a really intellectual peer group (barring some). Most of the people you’ll find have competed 80,000 people and got into a top 5 so they’re definitely something. At Jindal, you will find more diversity within the peer group. You will find the intellectual ones, you will find people who don’t care about anything but parties, you will find people who are only into gaming etc. Even with ethnicity, i do not know if the scenario has changed but at NLIU i found that most of my batchmates were from North or West India. At Jindal, the peer group is 10 folds more diverse with students not only India but also abroad. This has given me a lot of perspective.

But here I cannot give you a comparison, you may choose based on your personal preference.

5) Diversity of career options and LLMs/MBA/Judiciary etc- At Jindal there’s a lot of schools so the job roles are more diverse in a sense because companies cross recruit across the schools. If you’re aiming for an LLM, Jindal is again really good because we have a separate office where Professors who have been to top universities will train you, help you with recommendations, SoP, scholarships etc. Even with other post-graduate exams like GMAT, CAT, PCSJ I believe Jindal would be a better choice because they are setting on-campus coaching centres for the same. Again this is not to say that you’ll be at a huge disadvantage in any of these at NLUJ. A lot of NLUJ students go abroad for LLMs at top universities, it’s just that at Jindal you’ll get more guidance for the same. Jindal also has a better international reputation because of QS and IoE so that helps sometimes.

6) Alumni - No offence to JGLS alumni, y’all are really sweet and helpful. But NLUJ alumni would be in a better position to help you because they are already places as law firm partners, in house counsels and even professors at universities like Jindal.

Fun fact- NLUJ holds a lot of respect in Jindal. Because some of the most sweetest and favourite professors in Jindal happen to be from NLUJ coincidentally. Professors Sandeep Suresh, Ashwin Mishra, Sannoy Das and Nakul Nayak are legends which again speaks volumes about the quality of education at NLU J.

There are a lot of other factors too but they are specific to Jindal and are secondary in nature so I’ll let them be. Nothing that I said for NLUJ or Jindal can not be done at the other university. It’s not like you cannot get LLMs at NLUJ but it’s just more easier at Jindal. It’s not like you can not get a tier 1 job at Jindal but NLUJ simply edges Jindal at that currently. I can say for Jindal that if you just maintain good grades throughout uni, you’ll easily get placed at a tier-1. Those who, actually, by heart want to get placed, they do. But if you don’t work for it, you’re not gonna get it, be it any university.

When you are in a tier - 1 university, there are minimal differences between universities while you’ll get one thing better at some university, there will be something else better at a different university. 1) you’ll have to examine what you want in life and which university provides better for it 2) It really depends on how you do, if it’s a tier-1 uni, it will provide you with everything (more or less than some other uni but not a huge difference) and it really boils down to your individual efforts.

Both are great institutions, you’ll not regret any of those. Congratulations you made it this far. Good luck.
As a Tier 1 NLU citizen, I can attest to the claims stated here. I would advise you to disregard the comments in which students are just merely smearing Jindal or NLUJ, and instead consider this planned remark and weigh up your choices appropriately.
Its really strange to read the names of my peers at university as academic "legends". How time has flown!
How come this has negative ratings? In order to effectively neutralise the viewpoints of other people, do you begin by first focusing on the individual who made the remark rather than the facts provided and then invalidate his viewpoints based on that? This comment contains the truest advise I've seen on the subject.
lol,jgls over nluj is the worst decision a person can make, jgls is like the shoe dust of the top nlus, they just milk money and have a batch size of like 600.