Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
Got my CLAT and SLAT results, I am confused between the two. Do not have domicile in Kochi, and this question came up. Criteria are placements and campus life primarily.
I was in a similar position a couple of years back and I decided to go with NUALS and I have no regrets so far. But for the sake of your question, I'll be as objective as I can.

Campus life - It's pretty great. The campus is quite small (unfortunately) but the college actually managed to provide all kinds of facilities - sports, co and extra-curricular activities, etc. There is an ardent footballing and quizzing culture in the college and you can find all the boys huddling around the mess TV on UCL nights and during other games. Every batch has around 65 students (the 2021 batch that just graduated had 120 though) and since the batch size is small, you pretty much know everyone. The seniors were very helpful when I was in my first year and overall, the people are generally great. There might a slight bit of ragging if the classes were offline (we call it 'positive interaction'), but the seniors who 'positively interact' with you would usually end up becoming close friends after the freshers.

Placement - It's similar to most mid-tier NLUs like RGNUL, RMNLU, HNLU, etc. We do not have day zeros and the firms/companies that usually come for placements aren't generally the ones that pay 14+ LPA like in other tier-1 NLUs (except for ICICI bank who usually come for placements and pay around 13LPA I think). The usual ones who come are banks like Axis, Federal, etc, law firms like LKS, Wadia Ghandy, and consulting groups like EY. But every year there will be around 8-12 people who get PPOs from t1 firms. So I guess, it all comes down to how hard you work.

People - Owing to the domicile reservation, half of your class (or more) might be people from Kerala. They are generally a great bunch of guys and honestly, language has never been a problem for me. I have learnt a bit of Malayalam and they have learnt a bit of my mother tongue and there isn't any kind of hostility (open or subtle) towards non-Kerala people as far as I have seen.

Also, Kochi city is about 10-15 min from the college and the college curfew is only at 11 pm. The mess food is decent as you get both north Indian and south India choice of food every day.

Overall, if you want an NLU tag I would recommend NUALS over Symbi. That said, my opinion might be slightly biased considering that I study here. I think Symbi has the advantage when it comes to location and a slightly better alumni base.

Anyway all the best for the next five years, whichever college you choose. At the end of the day, no college will provide anything on a gold platter and you'll have to work for it yourself.

Cheers :)
Everything said above is true.

Placements - If you need a Tier 1 job, you need to earn it. Make use of your NLU tag and get internships at firms and if you put in good effort, you can manage to get PPO's from Tiers 1's. Quite of few hardworking kids from Nuals have managed to do this.

Campus Life -
The whole college would have only around 300-400 people and you don't really see a senior-junior divide, except for the annual Sports & Arts cup, where batches are quite competitive.
Some really good teachers and some really bad teachers, I'm sure that it's the same story everywhere.
Reimbursements and travel allowances for Moot and similar activities
Almost all major festivals that happen when the college is functioning, are celebrated. Students are quite active on that part and it's always fun, except for few arguments with the administration which students ultimately win.
Over these years, the number of non-malayali students holding position in the Students Council (students' representative body) is going down drastically due to the fact that around 60-70 percent of the batch would be keralites.

Overall, if you need a fun, (almost) zero pressure campus life and can put in the efforts to find PPO, welcome to god's own country, friend :)

And hey, there's BEEF as well
Does NUALS have any kind of dress code? I might be going there this year and I wanted to pack accordingly...
There's no foreign placement, kiddo. You'll have to do an LLM for that
Whom are you calling kiddo? You are from Kerala not north India. Maintain the decency and don’t bring your attitude here
Symbiosis for its placements, alumni base, infra, faculty.

Nuals for the nlu tag

Your choice
NUALS hardly carries any weightage as an NLU. This entire thread is a joke
lol we know you are lifeless and desperate when you choose a college for the girls (we know you don't get any girls anyways)
A 15-word comment posted 2 months ago was not published.