Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
I was just going through the background of NLUJ (scouting for preference list) and saw that the administration is very bad, students are complaining and protesting.

Some things which I found out were:

- The controversy surrounding the sociology professor's homophobic views.
https://www.livelaw.in/news-updates/row-over-nlu-j-faculty-suggesting-study-materials-showing-homosexuality-as-disorder-155473

- The English professor's casteist behavior.
https://twitter.com/Guiltfoyle/status/1386704891897208838?s=20

- The tyranny of the VC (Especially after the death of one of the students due to covid)
https://twitter.com/Guiltfoyle/status/1386570366026350593?s=20

I am not so sure whether it is the right choice to keep NLUJ at 4th on my preference list.

NLUJ students/alumni, please clarify/assist me.
Your concerns are valid, however, just some points as an alum who has seen how things transpired while I was in college. Please also note that this was also pre online classes and that, I presume, will invariably have an impact on how things work out now.

i. Homophobia (this was largely open and shut) - The sociology professor received immense backlash. Attempts were made to brush things under the carpet at first, however, the students kept at it and the concerned person had to take back their garbage and apologize.

ii. Caste (a mixed bag but very sensitizing for some who lacked it previously i.e. me) - I don't recall whether it happened with our batch or not but I wouldn't be surprised if the English professor did do things like ask people to introduce themselves by their rank which does have the effect of setting out the students who came in on the non-general seats in a very unhealthy manner. Yes, there is a lack of sensitivity.
However, going to NLUJ was an experience that opened me up to the realities of caste and class as I saw the vastly different world around me once I stepped outside the campus. It also helped me realize that your CLAT rank has nothing to do with how good a law student you are or will be. Some of the persons who came in on the non
See, if you want student rights - NLUJ doesn't come close to NUJS, NALSAR, NLS etc. Even HNLU and RGNUL have been more assertive of their rights than NLUJ students.

But assuming you're not getting the CLAT trio (NLS-NALSAR-NUJS) - then NLUJ is your best chance at placements. You can opt for GNLU but that isn't any better in terms of student rights either. NLIU is worse and after the Vyapam scam, people should keep a safe distance. HNLU, may be. But placements are only for the top layer of the batch.
These are all media plots to defame NLUJ. We have the best placements, most robust alumni network (even across the Magic Circle firms), mooting and academic culture. The profs are fantastic and so is the institutional support. Don't go by what the media says, if you get the rank, take it without second thoughts
Umm no? While I would still say that NLUJ is the correct choice as the fourth preference, none of the mentioned points are 'media plots'. All of these things have actually happened in college.
However, the student community is becoming stronger by the day to fight / stand for the right thing.

And you will have experiences / people like these in all educational institutions (that shouldn't be the case ideally), but it is on you to sift through all these issues and learn from all the positives at NLUJ.
It's really not something that will affect you on a daily basis, as an NLUJ fifth year. The benefit you'd have in going here in terms of alumni, job opportunities, etc. far outweighs these little controversies.

The thread you pointed out is more about the inherent casteism and classism at all top NLUs; people who have better english, connections, etc. find ways to do better. It's just emblematic of the world. The english professor is not casteist at all. But it is true that the support for students who don't have a good enough background with the language is abysmally low, making it hard for them to do well. This is again, symptomatic of most NLUs; if people from other colleges are honest. People of particular caste locations or socio-economic levels often end up at the bottom on a ranks pile or failing subjects because of this inadequate support. It's a larger structural problem; like the problem with the CLAT that's often pointed out. Some can mug up enough english for the CLAT and get in; but don't know enough of it to be able to keep up fully when the medium of instruction is english. With the new pattern, this may reduce as they get self selected out with long passages. [Don't get me wrong, that's a horrid outcome. But if people want CLAT to not be so english dependent, instruction at NLUs itself shouldn't be. Or create an alternate structure that teaches in regional languages also, idk]

The Sociology teacher isn't homophobic, this was something she circulated at the beginning of the pandemic, she's middle aged, not internet savvy- just sent random PDFs. Nobody was reading this material, no one was tested on it, there were no examinations that year. This particular topic- some people read because they wanted to see how she'd handle it; found random PDFs with homophobic text. The text was not curated in any way just randomly forwarded. So absolutely terrible teacher- yes, homophobic, not really unless you're obsessed with deliberately finding fault and nitpicking over things. Even if she was homophobic, I don't think it's smart of you to base your decision on that. Nobody is actively being discriminated against. After that incident, Pride NLUJ has come up and students are doing a great job of creating a more supportive community and environment.

Concerns about the VC are, sadly, true but she won't do enough to reduce NLUJs perception significantly in the next five years. Assuming you've gotten NLUJ- there are no options below that that it makes sense to shift for, especially if you're interested in corporate placements. Maybe GNLU? But do not do it on the basis of these things, take a more reasoned call. If you like their litigation stipend scene, the extra initiatives they're investing in. Do NOT leave for NLIU, you'd regret it. If you get NLUD, ofc, take that over NLUJ.
All NLUs are somewhat worse and bad in some way.
the irony was not only lost on law students.
GNLU has a very chill admin and the clubs are very active. 2 am in time for girls and boys. 24*7 library access i have heard.
I can tell you one thing from my experience of college.

It is all about how much voice you are free and willing to raise.

Some colleges are very vocal and conscious to the issues around them and others just take things/issues/injustice for granted.

I dont think its correct to penalise the college for fostering environment where people can raise voice.