Read 60 comments as:
Filter By
Just wanted to say that it is okay if you didn't clear it this time or if you didn't perform as per your expectations.
I know that your mind will convince you to think that this is the end of the world. But that really isn't the case.
Use this place if you have queries about what needs to be done next. Our answers can't be straight jacket, so describe your current situation in replies and we all will try to help you in whichever way possible.
It was my drop year and I'm getting a rank in 1800s. I feel really suicidal right now. There is an active urge to kill myself right now and I really don't know what to do. My mom is really angry with me right now as I wasted all of her money and I can't think straight. I feel like killing myself every day since April. What should I do now? Will it ever get better in life?
So sorry to hear that. First of all, if you are having such thoughts, please please please do try and call a confidential suicide support hotline, such as this one: https://hellolifeline.org/

Your life is a million times more important than any exam, even if it might not seem that way to you in this very moment. And family pressure is hard and there are no easy answers to dealing with it, but know that things will get better, 100%, even if it's hard to see that longer perspective right now.

Also know that in a couple of years, all of this will be a distant memory. Life is really long and will have so many more opportunities that you can't even imagine right now, and which don't depend on a single exam, which at the end of the day is primarily a lottery.

However, the advice we can give in an online forum will be limited - please speak to someone you can trust and you can be open with about how you feel, even if it is a telephone hotline with counsellors.

In any case, things will get better, even if not immediately, you will get through this setback and discover new opportunities.
Hey bud. Let me tell you something, I come from a lower middle class family. I was kicked out of my school due to a silly mistake I made in class 10th. I joined a coaching for IIT JEE and paid for two years only to quit within one monty (they didn’t give the money back). I didn’t have courage to ask my parents for money for a clat coaching so I literally sold my soul to buy material and mocks. But I prepared for two years and didn’t get a single NLU. Life was destroyed. Had nowhere to go, didn’t even have proper schooling. Parents were pissed and everything. Made a choice and joined a university and realised that these college brands are seriously a sham. I am doing very good and am extremely happy.

Given your rank you can get into a BHU, Jamia, AMU etc. Whatever you’ve learnt about these NLUs and Jindals, just unlearn it. My friend from AMU just got a ppo from CAM with no connections or support. You will just have to work harder. I realised that I could literally achieve anything from my local state university.

Let me tell you trick, if you join a BHU or a similar university. Just apply for tier 1 internships in months other than JUNE/JULY/JANUARY/DECEMBER, you’ll easily get an internship. You can do it because attendance won’t be an issue for you while it will be for others. Just prove your worth. Also no professor can teach you, what a book can. If you want to explore judiciary, you would have so much support because the entire batch goes for judiciary and a lot of alumni will guide you. If you want to do an LLM, you would probably be able to go because you would have saved so much money. I mean the fees is negligible. There’s no shortcut to gaining knowledge. But you can do it. I met this NLS kid in a tier 1 internship and absolutely destroyed him in terms of practical and theoretical knowledge and I am from a university which is nowhere in the top 20. No offence, but CLAT does not evaluate you or determine your your iq. It’s a crappy exam. Don’t think lowly of yourself. There is literally nothing that you can’t achieve hereon, the only given is that you must have the determination to do it. If you have the knowledge, you’re sorted. If you think, getting into a tier 1 law school means that you’ll get a tier 1 job without knowledge, NO! knowledge is important. It’s just that firms would come to recruit them while you’ll have to go to the firms to be recruited. That’s it. That’s the only drawback of being in a non tier 1 university.

I have learnt one thing in life. People can take away everything from you but not your knowledge. It’ll stay. Good luck dude, life is too important to give away like that. Let your mom be pissed. See they are not used to all of this, she’s concerned and doesn’t know how to react. Plus obviously they have a financial pressure. But ending life would only mean that all the money they spent on you is wasted. I am telling you a way where you’ll literally save money and you give back a lot. Don’t let these rankings and advertisements dictate your life. Tier 1s and university brands don’t mean anything, you’ll understand this 10 years later and thank this anonymous commentator on LI.
I too failed CLAT at once, but today I’m a sought after lawyer for the practice I do.

Just because someone failed CLAT, does not mean it the end of the world. In fact is just the beginning of a slightly unusual and exiting journey to success. What is important during the process is not to let thinking fail. If the end goal is to become successful, that is who you should focus on becoming, and not get demotivated, simply because you are going to have a slow start. (Which frankly is also not a case anymore. Lines between NLU and Non-NLUs are very blurr these days).

You should know, slow start does not define your chances of victory, it is the planned and strategic finish that does. You should think of everyone who is rooting for you to be a successful lawyer one day, it does not matter which college you graduated from. Once in the uniform, they are all the same.

So cheer up and enjoy the rest of student life, these are days you would not want remember for being sad and disheartened.
Hey man, I get how you feel, I'm in the same boat, but what's done is done. You are not defined by one single Clat rank. Neither am I, or the other thousands of us who didn't make it. Doesn't stop us from being the best lawyers we can possibly be. Yeah, a great NLU helps us go a long way, but it isn't the only way. Please, please don't hurt yourself for something that will not even matter in a couple of weeks or months at most. Give yourself time to grieve it, don't blame yourself. If you think you could have worked harder, promise yourself that the next time you put your mind to something, you'll work your hardest. You have a long life ahead you, and a 149-mark paper is not the decider of that. For all we know, us, the "average" dropouts, just might make it big. The underdogs always win. For now, just take it easy, calm down and rest your mind. Look at your other options and chart out the plan, no college however great, should impede you from living your best life. Salud! Also, please talk to a professional, these are my 2 cents, but you'll want to vent, as you should, and no, you are not doomed, you're only just starting out, so talk to someone who can help you through this, and work on feeling better. Life moves fast, especially when you're young, and we either move on, and stay rooted, your choice. All the best!
Love your attitude !
I'm sure you will do great in your college life.
All the best !
OP here.
I started this conversation because I have been through same exact thoughts.

Kian posted the links to helpline because that's the right thing to do. While I hope you use it, I do know that you might not. I personally wasn't able to.

The only thing that helped me is just sticking around for some more time.
By the end of first year, all nightmares stopped.
Same thing happened with most of my batchmates. Seniors too.

It takes time, but it surely does get better.

I hope you stay. Like all of us did.
Bro, with 1800 you could get an NLU, albeit a lower ranked one. That NLU in the years to come will get better. Further, if you are concerned about a job, then just make sure to intern at those places while in college. Don't make the mistake of letting go. Once you are working, all of this will hardly matter. A newer NLU will be more accommodative in terms of culture and you can probably add your bits. Remember, most of us have been there and still managing to make a decent living and you will to, my friend.
Don’t weigh your potential with competitive exams. People whom we all know the most successful wouldn’t have cleared such competitive exams many a time . Please pursue a life you are passionate about with no comparison. Keep your dream alive and continue to learn to achieve it . Never succumb to external pressure or comparison . We are taught to fulfil others dream and it is too late when we realise we never lived for us . Take help from a well experienced counsellor to look at world in a bigger perspective. Take care & Thanks
Yeah it will
No season or darkness last forever
Hang in a little more
Figure it out again what you should do and what you want to do
There is always a way
All the best
My dear... Much Love to you... ! I am Lawyer and I tell you the most wonderful part of pursing law... You don't have to be a topper or be someone with great ranks in the entrance or even in college and still you could be a great Lawyer , a great Judge and can absolutely enjoy your profession.... Study of Law and being students of law is very very Instinctive....... So please stop even thinking like this... Life is very very precious .. Please take care of yourself... Believe in yourself and things will start to fall in place..... Take admission wherever you are getting and study sincerely...that's is best you can do and let time prove your worth.... Take care...!!
How about taking CLAT again next year while also studying in ur 1st year in whatever college you get....and if u do get a good rank then transfer to wherever you wanna be at and if they make you start from 1st year again file a case on them....there you go getting pride back and endorsing yourself as future lawyer!!!
OP here and thanks to everyone for being so encouraging here. I gave AILET today and it went better than I expected it to be. (Probably because I was at peace today)
I'm not hoping much after CLAT but I hope that something good happens.
I've to pick between NLIU and GNLU, my home is 800Kms from NLIU and 1300Kms from Gandhinagar, I need a loan too. Which college to prefer in terms of placements?
Both are about the same - if you work hard, you will get a decent placement from either college. But if I had to choose, I would go for NLIU since it is slightly older than GNLU and so has a wider alumni base. But that's just nitpicking.

Let distance from home not be a determining factor in your choice of university. You have to travel the distance four times a year and the train tickets wouldn't be significantly different. After your second year, chances are that you will travel from your university to Delhi / Mumbai for internships, if you want a corporate job.
Hey !
First of all, congratulations.

There is a separate thread on LI wherein people have compared GNLU and NLIU. Further there is a thread regarding loans as well. Go through them, talk to people who are currently studying there, and make an informed decision.

All the best !
guys,
My rank is 210, and have a telangana domicile reservation
I am sure to get a seat at Nalsar through the reservation, and NUJS in the general category.
How many students in the top 200 students wud migrate to NLUD through the AILET??? What could be my final rank?
Start practicing what you preach Kian. The toxic college threads on LI only add to a student's sense of stress, anxiety and self worth. Start moderating that nonsense first. And don't say something stupid like they have an option to ignore it.
Not to divert from the conversation above but I think LI have generally been more helpful.

A law firm job was the most coveted thing for lawyers, law students and law aspirants. The threads on LI have been an eye opener on how these aren't sustainable career options and that your life isn't "set" if you get into an NLU and get a law firm job. And there are a hundred other things you can do in life than aspire to be miserable in cubicle at the cost of your health.
This was my first time given clat I'm an ug aspirant and honestly i had no preparation for clat as when clat exam date was announced i was still stuck with my boards and i appeared clat without any preparation but honestly even if it was my first it still hurts as if my world has collapsed I often easily fall prey to depression i feel like as if i have no option left.......
If you have performed well in your boards, try to take admission in some college based upon your board marks. If you really want to pursue law ahead, you can prepare for CLAT side by side or decide to do the three year course post your graduation.
All the best !
I didn’t get acceptable marks at all. My parents are so disappointed but above all I’m disappointed. I might have to go the community college in my city. I’m so scared.
Hey !
We all have been there. I know it is difficult to settle down. But unless you can afford some private college or afford moving to a metro city, joining your community college would be the right thing to do at this point.
Just make up your mind to work extra hard. Intern as much as you can. Read and read and read some more. With most things being online currently, your current location doesn't even matter much.
Whenever you get stuck somewhere, just reach out to people here or on LinkedIn.
All the best !

(It is okay to be a little scared. Just take the first step.)
Lot off private law colleges are better than many NLUS.Those are SLS,NMIMSOP JINDAL,,UPES,CHRIST,KIIT,Nirma.Try them with your clat score,who are offering admission through CLAT score.Only top 10 NLUS are better than above colleges.Try until win.All the best.
i got a rank in the 5k range, i feel like i could have done better, should i try again next year or should i go ahead with college (i've gotten into Christ and Symbosis)
If its Symbi Pune, join with closed eyes. Do not waste one year for nothing. Just make sure you intern with all places you would like to work at and you will land up where you want. Trust me, NLUs wont give you anything that Symbi + right internships will, professionally. Plus, Pune is a great city to live in.
You should move on
They are good colleges and you will get great opportunities in the future too
But If you truly really want to become a lawyer and you are confident then yeah you can consider taking a drop year and prepare
hey everyone! i'm using this website for the first time so i have no idea how this works. i have a question. I'm mainly focused on neet and wanted to give clat as a backup option in case i don't get a good mecial college this year. my clat 2021 rank is 912, is this a good enough rank and which nlu can i get with this rank? is there any chance for nlu mumbai? caste category - general, gender - female, state - uttar pradesh
Hey Alex congratulations your clat rank is very very good and you will easily get admission into nlu, you have to attend the counselling and there you will be allotted nlu in accordance to you rank check previous year nlu cutoffs to get a basic idea.
Hey
I don't know anything about clat but you should choose what you want to do. Whether you want to become a doctor or a lawyer. Both are great jobs so all the best
Are y'all saying this that college doesn't matter much to console him or is it really true?

Do not get me wrong I'm exactly in that state. I don't know what to do. Would I really be placed if toil hard? First-gen college-goer with no contacts. Hence, I'm really anxious and suicidal - wouldn't commit however.

Also, what's wrong with kiddos asking which NLU would they get on this thread?
We are not trying to say that college doesn't matter. The ones who managed to cleared the exam will ofcourse be rewarded in some or the other way, over the course of next five years.
We are just trying to say that college brand is just one factor in your CV and it isn't the only determining factor.
There is much more that you can still work on and reach wherever you intended to.

All the best !
FYI Rabindranath Tagore was expelled from school (St Xavier's School in Kolkata) and flunked his exams when his parents sent him to UCL to study law. #ThugLife.
I've got a 600ish rank in Clat, will be getting NUJS with domicile reservation.
I don't really want to stay at home and be a day scholar so; is there a chance i will get accommodation in the college while being a domicile student.(question is for nujs students ig)
Also Ailet's coming up and NLUD is a college i would love to go to and personally rate much higher than nujs.
That being said in the event i don't crack ailet, would there be any discernible difference in the opportunities i have with NUJS.
I do sincerely hope you do well in AILET and get into NLUD. Esp if you have decided that NLUD is better than NUJS.

But before you choose do look at the placement stats (if that is your end goal) of both the unis, in absolute and relative terms. Think where the median student of the batch goes in each of the unis.
I am so disappointed about my marks .. I think I have no way out now .. I hope through this I get some guidance to what to do next .
[Subject: What do now? I'm literally screwed!]

AIR: 2400

Will not get into an NLU for sure.

Some were saying that I would make it to NMIMS or NIRMA, but the issue is they charge a LOT! That would, in all probability, put a dent in our pockets.

Getting placed is of humongous importance to me.

What should I do now?

Some were suggesting to go for an MBA, but where will I go for now?

Boards percentage not good - 90%

Literally, lost I am.
Hii, i just want to know that i get 19932 rank in clat and some said to pay 50,000rs might you will get nlu so i want to know can i get nlu or not or it is just waste of money.Because they said that you are selected for nlu.PLEASE HELP NA.
Mrinal thanks
My rank is 1950, what are the chances of me getting an nlu? If I do get an nlu is it worth re-answering clat next year? I didn’t put in as much effort as I should have and only studied in the last couple of weeks. I feel I could improve my rank by a large margin if I were to attempt it again.
I m pretty confused what to do next . Whether I should take do law from a private College or take drop. I am very disappointed nd just can't think anything
Hello my clat all India rank is 3780
SC rank 63 (total 202) and maharastra sc rank 5th (total 37 seats)
Would I get an good NLU?
Was checking the Mumbai one,it seems good and it's ranked in top 10 right?
The one in Nagpur and Aurangabad in Maharashtra isn't that good and not even ranked in top 20 :(
This time clat exam was so easy but still I attempted so less questions...I am really very disappointed with myselfπŸ˜”...got anxious duri g the paper and was not able to manage time in exam...I just messed everyone πŸ˜”πŸ₯Ί
A 8-word comment posted 4 months ago was not published.