Read 147 comments as:
Filter By
I have written CLAT 2021 & most probably would get NUJS Kolkata. I know that campus is small & facilities are limited, however, I wanted to know about a frank review of the quality of Faculty available at NUJS. Would appreciate an honest answer
Do you mean experience of free after parties, free marks, lack of academic rigor, rowdy and immoral activities during Outlawed, maximum 25-30% attendance in online semester?
If one gets the best jobs, scholarships for higher studies, and other grad outcomes even after doing all that, then hell yeah!
Just a basic test of your logical reasoning skills. How do you expect outsiders to give you an accurate review of faculty quality? How do you expect the insider students to wash any dirty linen in public that might lower the institution's brand value? Not that some people don't do that very thing here, but very few of them are actually students and all of them have got their own agendas.
Faculty rating at NUJS:

Menon era: 😃
Chimni era: 🙂
MP Singh era: 🥰
Bhat era: 😕
Talukdar era: 😢
Chakrabarty era: 🤢
I'm an NUJS student. Faculty, especially in the later years, sucks. However, in the initial 2-3 years you have very good faculty (Contracts, Sociology, Constitutional Law etc are great). Also, the VC is just a few months away from starting a faculty recruitment drive, so quality should improve soon.

To be honest though, the faculty doesn't matter. The peer group, alumni network, and opportunities available are some of the best around, and make up for the faculty. You end up learning more outside the classroom than in, just from the people you're surrounded by. The placements are great too, more people recruited by Tier 1 firms than any other law school in the country.
As another student, I do not agree with this opinion. I have got several good teachers from my 3rd year onwards, though a couple of them have recently left. As for the recruitment drive, there is no guarantee that it would get all good people in, especially given the nature of the guest faculty hired by this admin in recent years.
As a current 5th year, the current quality of teachers is nowhere close to the quality in the first 3 years. My friends in the 4th year are having a worse time with the guest faculty. But I'm positive that it would change soon.

Regarding the recruitment drive, there has been a list of several candidates proposed, who are top academics in their field, foreign LLM holders and much more. All that is needed now is for the VC, EC and state government to approve the list.

Perhaps if the SJA (NUJS student body) was more proactive this would have been done by now. We really need a change from the past year, in my time at the university I have never seen a lazier SJA. The president does not even respond to messages, there hasn't been a single GB meeting in the past year, and except for 1-2 minor policies, nothing has been proposed. More than faculty, you should be worried about the state of the SJA.
Recruitment doesn't happen by approving any list 'proposed' by students. You don't seem to be having the slightest idea about how things work in reality. For example, even people with foreign LLMs can no longer be recruited for permanent positions unless they have got a PhD. The latest UGC regulations demand that. There are some talks about getting qualified alumni from the industry as adjunct professors though.
I agree with your opinion regarding the SJA.
Quote:
To be honest though, the faculty doesn't matter.
Sums up everything wrong with the mindset of the students of this college.
NUJS students are known to not only tolerate but also encourage mediocre faculty by opting for their electives and giving them good feedback in exchange for easy marks & leniency in attendance. In no other university, professors like JNU & Oxford alumni teaching Social Science Subject, Daughter of ex-MLA etc would have been encouraged.
Agree and thank you for saying what everyone here is refusing to admit: the students are the root cause of the problem. Also to the commentator who blamed the SJA. 👏👏👏

Frankly, it's very easy to appoint good faculty as visiting profs. For example, there are many people from Kolkata teaching at Jindal. Some of them are listed as visiting profs on the NLSIU website and some others have taken one-off elective courses. At NLSIU itself a couple are from Kolkata AFAIK. Nothing stops the SJA from inviting them to teach.
The people who usually accept those invitations and turn up for teaching do not end up with a great experience. Apathy on the part of the admin and students has been commented upon with considerable emphasis by more than one such person. The students currently running the credit course cell have got no grasp of propriety when it comes to dealing with senior people in the industry or academia.
Sadly, the mediocrity is now seeping into the students too. Most of the juniors whom I get to see as interns these days are shockingly irresponsible, lack professionalism, want spoon feeding and hand-holding like a first-semester law student, and worst of all, have got a colossal sense of entitlement that is thoroughly undeserved! Exceptions still exist though, thankfully.
Agreed, however, the main reason for this corporate culture. Right from 1st-year students are told to emphasize more on CGPA over anything else & just to get a good CGPA with almost no hard work & any kind of useful knowledge, they opt for electives by these mediocre faculty. A senior faculty member recently has given everyone exceptional grade in one of the paper in 5th year. How all students can get exceptional grade in one subject? Clearly mediocrity thrives at NUJS
COVID grades do not count anyway, with no proper exams taking place. The issue is not really about exams or grades, but what is being taught in those subjects. If that's not good, then the grades won't really help the students in any way once they graduate.
"In no other university, professors like JNU & Oxford alumni teaching Social Science Subject, Daughter of ex-MLA etc would have been encouraged."

What does this even mean? JNU, Oxbridge, Ivy League folks should not teach Social Science subjects anywhere? And a daughter of ex-MLA will be struck with strict liability if she teaches Social Science but not law et al?

Please type when you have stopped fuming. Just shoot a straight arrow. Why this roundabout? Have you ever checked whether the message got delivered and outcomes were achieved?
As a NUJS student, I believe that the commentator would have purposely refrained from writing the name. All NUJS students know that the comment referred to which faculty members. However, these are not alone, there are many more such mediocre faculty at nujs and quality has only further detiorated this year.
Agree. Including the author of original rant. Adopting an alias has not helped "name and shame"
Distance Education gone wrong and students wronged at WBNUJS.

https://livewire.thewire.in/campus/wbnujs-distance-education-students-legal-fight/

This report is actually quite worrying. The author has actually hyperlinked official WBNUJS records which clearly suggests deep rooted institutional complicity in ensuring that inconvenient questions are not asked or brought up for discussion; the alleged perpetrators are not asked for any explanation and audaciously prosper; the VC and others in WBNUJS mislead their EC (which seemingly does not mind) and all of these being done quite blatantly by the new VC.

In such a situation, bending to power is not just an option. Suckling on it is the only thing to do.
The NUJS EC changes its decisions and opinions based on its composition. Often they end up holding their predecessors' opinions to be illegal in retrospect. The law minister and the AG call all the shots these days, and their main objective is to turn the place into a local law college.
Please stop criticising the SJA for no reason. Have you ever bothered to do anything yourself? It is easy to criticise. The truth is that the current SJA office bearers are extremely sincere, hard working and honest. They have been obstructed because of Covid. FYI serious discussion has taken place on how to get excellent visiting faculty, funding from law firms and tie-ups with foreign universities but plans cannot be implemented right now because of Covid.
Brother, "sincere, hardworking and honest" is nothing close to what the SJA is, in particular the president. Please tell me how they were obstructed, when the president has been on campus since January? What policies has the SJA passed? Has there been a SINGLE general body meeting in the past year due to one person's laziness despite internally the SJA pushing for it? Can the president even respond to a message? Don't give me this nonsense that they work hard. The lack of leadership in this SJA is clear to any member of the general body.
The rest of the world has been coping with COVID and getting their work done too. If the current office bearers believe that it is beyond their capability, then they should step down.
What has the SJA done in demanding accountability from the admin in the past two years? Recruitment has stalled for over a year, good faculty are resigning, recommendations of the review commission have still not been implemented, people accused of corruption are still working there, the standard of education is falling with every passing day, the smallest matter takes ages to be dealt with. SJA is happy so long as they get extensions, exemptions, and inflated grades for all.
Friend, I have reported your comment and hope that the moderator at least marks it as "contested". Here is my rebuttal:

- It is completely wrong to say the SJA has not being doing work. Everyone knows that Covid has derailed things. Also, the SJA cannot be blamed if people do not response to messages.

- Recruitment has stalled because of pressure from TMC people. Everyone knows that. How can the SJA fight such powerful political people?

- Good faculty are not resigning. Just one person has left for NLSIU who is a non-corporate law professor, some others have taken leave. What about so many alumni faculty teaching? Focus on them also.

- Regarding the corruption issue, it is sub judice and beyond the jurisdiction of the SJA

- About so-called falling standards, I will just say look at the law firm recruitment figures. That's all that matters.
So basically you are saying that the SJA cannot do anything about anything. Then why hold posts? As for resignation, are you deliberately lying or simply ignorant? There have been four formal resignations in the last two years from permanent faculty and one from a regular guest faculty. The non-corp faculty whom you referred to was also hands down the best faculty the university had. And most of the resignations have been because of the university conditions, which can only improve if the students push for it. Those in power would always have their vested interests. And to say that one should be concerned only when corp faculty resign is laughable. Regarding falling standards of academics, that is never immediately reflected in the recruitment numbers, but over a period of time. Everybody outside the university in the legal industry is aware of it. When is the last time a really good academic has joined NUJS from outside as a chair professor or in senior positions? You yourself have made it clear that the current SJA cannot do anything so long as the pandemic goes on, and possibly later either. So they might as well step down.
That case became sub judice because the SJA made that happen. Had they been as useless as the current one, that wouldn't have happened either. Several other accused are still working without any case having started against them. Are you or the SJA doing anything against them?
So you accept that college should be judged only by its 'recruitment figures'. This is a horrible take as not all 600 students are part of nujs only for corporate recruitment. Dr. Madhava Menon definitely did not establish nlus for students to become corporate slaves. The NLUs were established for excellent legal education so that students can participate in nation building. Recruitment figures are useless if complete lack of legal knowledge coupled with poor academic standards.
Kian, please clarify which part of 6.4 is contested fact exactly. Do you want to know the names of the faculty who have resigned since the pandemic? Here it goes: Saurabh Bhattacharjee, Mahesh Menon, Anirban Chakraborty, Mercy Khaute. The last two were on lien, but have formally resigned now. In addition, another guest faculty Anuradha Roychowdhury has also resigned in 2020. Before calling facts contested, you should probably verify the contest claim too.
Kumarjit Ray too should be added to the list. Even Agnidipto Tarafdar & Faisal Fasih have gone on semester/year leave, while Avantik Tamta has gone to JGLS. Most of the guest faculty hired to teach subjects like CPC, CrPC, Clinic, Trade besides offering numerous electives etc are mediocre at best.
Three corrections: Kumarjit left before the pandemic and before the term of the current SJA president. Faisal has not taken any leave yet. Avantik was already a JGLS faculty when he became a guest faculty here. Rest I agree with you.
Quite frankly, 'mediocre' is a very generous term. CPC and CrPC faculty this year is terrible. The new evidence guy has not even issued a syllabus 3 weeks into the semester. The [...] DID NOT KNOW HOW TO SET UP GOOGLE MEET OR SEND AN EMAIL. ALL THE CONTENT WAS TYPED OUT IN THE SUBJECT OF THE MAIL. The reason everyone from NUJS does corp law is bec that is one good prof we have. It is quite literally the only subject we have some grasp over
Who is that? The corp guy, I mean. Not the evidence person. There are too many like the latter across law schools. But a good corp guy who makes sense is rarer to be found. I know that there is one at NALSAR.
So Faisal or SAK not teaching Evidence or CrPC? What is KS doing?
SAK hasn't been teaching CrPC since 2019. Mahesh Menon taught in 2019 & SKB has been teaching for last 2 years. And Evidence is now taught by SAK as Faisal is on semester leave
Can you also give us one good reason why SJA has not held a single GB meeting till date or hasn't released its manifesto or work report? Clearly GB has been asking for GB meeting since months
Mr Sincere, Hardworking & Honest, I believe you would be an insider from SJA, however it should be made clear that the GB definitely has no such impression regarding the current sja. It's unfortunate that people from seniormost batch did not stand for elections and incompetent sja has got re-elected unopposed.
I would like to thank LI for flagging comment 6.4. Such unparliamentary language against the SJA or any person should not be allowed. This is a pubic forum and the reputation of the colleges's name must be maintained. If you have any criticism against the SJA please use parliamentary language. It gives a bad impression of the college if you make vicious attacks.
Which part of 6.4 used unparliamentary language exactly? Do you even know what such language includes?
A 31-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
No one is mentioning the real reason for the decline: the complete neglect of the college under Mamata and the appointment of mediocre people from the TMC's vast pool of mediocre people. She appointed her astrologer to the EC once! Bar & Bench reported it: https://www.barandbench.com/news/mamata-banerjee-recommends-astrologist-nujs-executive-committee-nimai-banerjee-ready

Please name even one CM in India who did such a thing?

Sadly, students are afraid to speak up about this as they will be branded as "bhakts" and "fascists" by the people who banned the Governor from entering the college but allowed Derek O'Brien to enter and then use the college to promote his political agenda through this tweet:
GNLU got a non-lawyer appointed as the Director under a right wing government. The nature of politics rarely matters. Political interference in universities should be condemned be it from whomsoever.
p.s. The present governor in Bengal is a joke and an affront to the position.
In 40+ comments, none have answered the original question as to how exactly is the current faculty quality. I'll attempt to answer it. In 1st year Socio by Ankita C, Torts by TRC & English by AM, IPC by Faisal is awesome. You might love Contracts, or you might hate it but you cannot ignore LDG's contracts. It would be toughest subject in law school by strictest faculty. Fam Law 1 by SKS is chill. In 2nd year, you'll hv amazing faculty in Consti Law by SS but remaining 3 faculty in Soumya Sahin, SKB & SKS are average. You won't like BD but best things is he teaches unimportant subject. Faculty quality is best in 3rd year with good faculty in all 4 compulsory subjects in 5th sem and in all 3 compulsory subject in 6th sem. In last 2 years, faculty quality is poor generally but you can opt for some good electives and seminar courses.
Atul Alexander for PIL, Faisal Fasih for Evidence, Shouvik K Guha for Corp Law, VKT for Jurisprudence, Agni Da for IoS, Dr Chengappa for Administrative Law
What about the senior profs? And newer Asst Profs such as SKC and the ones on contract, including two former Noojies?
Seriously, how many knew about this? https://nujs.edu/downloads/notice-for-public-hearing-aug2021.pdf

An Inquiry by Govt of WB has been on for nearly a year...okay maybe less after discounting the time that got wasted due to COVID lockdowns etc....but no one reported on this? Kian...is LI truly but surely moving to a staggered shut down?
This will be nothing but a TMC witchhunt. Plus, the person named is known to be have applied for the VC post but was rejected.
He's also part of the IQAC now where he rejects foreign publications in favour of North Bengal law journal articles.
So is a NUJS Prof whose Professorship was deeply contested for not having followed UGC rules. Later when Kesh Kala took over the EC-directed inquiry was completed with sudden pace and this Professor was given a clean chit. However, Kesh Kala never circulated the Inquiry Report in the EC and till date no EC member has received a copy despite reminders. Kesh Kala has also refused to respond to RTIs that asked for this Inquiry Report.

Can someone explain Kesh Kala's shifty behaviour.
Thanks for sharing. This is why LI is a useful site. Shame on the SJA for now knowing about this.
I can confirm that the hearing took place. I heard it from a prof. No students attended, but external students affected by the iPleaders cancellation attended. Demands were made for a CBI enquiry and arrest of those who enabled it.
Nobody asked for the death penalty? What will the committee do? Take away a sub judice matter from court? Or hold the same EC responsible for stopping the courses and not allowing refund when it has actually been authorised by the EC to conduct this inquiry to begin with? Such legal comprehension is for noobs. Or rather particular seniormost professor.
Why drag the entire EC or AC? Just concentrate on the then VC (God) and his minions holding EC and AC membership and who had taken the lead in shepherding these courses. They always knew that due approvals from UGC had not been secured. But they repeatedly made false assurances in the AC and EC that none of the courses would take off unless UGC approvals come through. So the AC and EC gave permission in good faith that was abused by God Bhat and Co.

Why is Kesh Kala sheltering God Bhat's minions? Why is Kesh Kala also refusing to refund as directed by the EC? For more on Kesh Kela antics, read this https://livewire.thewire.in/campus/wbnujs-distance-education-students-legal-fight/
None of the AC/EC minutes reflect that some members promised something and others agreed in good faith, regardless of whatever actually happened. So, legally the entire council is responsible collectively for their actions. The fact that you don't realize that speaks volumes of your legal knowledge.
Why didn't the university or the faculty members named in this article https://www.thestatesman.com/supplements/distance-education-mess-1502764247.html (published over two years ago) contest the allegations of the author?

Some of those named in the article above were in the relevant AC and EC meetings in May 2018 and later as well when the alleged distance education scam was discussed and resolutions adopted. Why did the EC consistently agree with the arguments made by a former SJA President? The university has also admitted in the Calcutta High Court that it never had the due approvals from UGC and all the courses were illegal. Please do not start another cycle of whataboutery.

What does the university have to say about the mischievous use of an inquiry report on distance education by Kesh Kala when he was among the EC members who had unanimously rejected the same inquiry report? What is Kesh Kala's position on this https://livewire.thewire.in/campus/wbnujs-distance-education-students-legal-fight/

If the complaint to the Chancellor by a former SJA President was so frivolous and legally unsound why did the EC even discuss and direct an inquiry in May 2019 as well? The complainant has quoted from AC, EC records to show how a cabal misled the AC and EC into giving approvals. Is this why Kesh Kala has stopped uploading fresh EC, AC and FC records on the university website? Other than the obvious what else is Kesh Kala painting over?

Did Kesh Kala and his friends depose before the govt appointed inquiry committee or even email written submissions? If not, why squander the opportunity?

Here is something from Chernobyl memorably delivered by the character Valery Legasov: "Every lie we tell incurs a debt to the truth. Sooner or later, that debt is paid." Ponder over the lies you have been peddling ever since shepherding the deal with iPleaders, Effulgent etc.

[...]
Please make a formal complaint with all details to the Chancellor or lodge a PIL.
You can specially along with the author of the referred article and tthe particular professor spearhead and solve all these issues.

The author of the article written in the Statesman should be made a professor at NUJS . Students and the academic world shall be overjoyed.

The particular professor should be made Vice Chancellor and will also appoint you as a pro Vice Chancellor and all of you can spearhead NUJS into becoming the best Law University/College in the world by solving all these issues with ipleaders and effulgent...etc

In that regime truth shall prevail and the NUJS will be at the zenith of academic excellence...you can also include partnerships and fellowships with editors from the statesman...etc who will help in the quest for academic excellence .

After all these issues are solved ...the Chernobyl disaster will look like Kindergarten stuff.

But please start...by lodging a PIL ...so that the quest for academic excellence at NUJS is in the hands of the people that you deem fit ...
Please lodge a PIL , truth should come out

and a particular Professor should be made Vice Chancellor

Maybe after modifying the act a particular professor can be made Chancellor of NUJS...

That day NUJS will become the best Law University in the world..
NUJS should stop offering any online courses these are all useless courses...and illegal(.according to this famous article in the statesman)

A post of Professor should be made at NUJS for the person who authored the article in the Statesman..
This article should serve as a benchmark for legal academic investigative journalism . NUJS should do some academic tie ups with the statesman or other newspapers for its quest for legal academic excellence ...the statesman or its editors can perhaps help... instead of doing tie-ups with universities,academic institutions,ipleaders, effulgent,etc etc

But first lodge a PIL ...for the truth to prevail
Or should I say unravel
The truth of the Chernobyl disaster will look absolutely innocuous in front of such important Oracle like truths that are stated in the article that is referred to.

A particular professor and his team or the author of the article that is referred to should lodge the PIL and the rest will be history....
Why do a PIL when the GoWB has already initiated an inquiry wherein distance education scam is one of the topics to be looked into and Kesh Kala is heading an EC-directed inquiry, which is supposed to look into this topic as well.

By the way be careful with what you wish for (even in sarcasm)

I suppose you did not depose before the GoWB initiated inquiry committee on Aug 13, 2021. Why? What about certain ninja friends etc?
Check the terms of inquiry of the Gov of WB on the distance education course.it has nothing to do with fraud or illegality of the courses.Its to do with utilisation of funds ..

The committe is there to investigate financial issues...not do an administrative review.

Good luck to them..they should take the help of a particular professor whose brilliance can help in coming to a conclusion that you so desire.

Try to do a PIL ,your particular professor can help you with it ...he is a doyen in the legal academia....and please do an FIR on the alleged fraud committed with the help of a particular professor and his exalted team.
Brilliant! Did you depose before the Inquiry Committee and tell them to scoot? Where were you when Kesh Kala needed you in the EC? Anyway, I am sure Kesh Kala will read out your script in the next meeting just as he reads out Inquiry Reports that never get sent to EC members.
Take a chill pill. Also thanks for being so transparent. Much appreciated.
Do the PIL...
Transperancy at NUJS is required.A particular professor and his band can help in making NUJS the best Law University in the world...and he can also help in doing the PIL...
So do the PIL...all irregularities and scams will be revealed and NUJS will become the best....
Why this insistence on a PIL? Because your friends in high places have ensured this https://livewire.thewire.in/campus/wbnujs-distance-education-students-legal-fight/ never gets sorted out transparently and in a timely manner in the EC as also in the Calcutta High Court?

Since you are so helpful, why don't you do the PIL, forum shopping and the works? You have done it successfully in the past when a corrupt Registrar was rightly booted out. But why did you get angry when SJA exposed distance education scam?
Because so far there has been zero evidence of any scam. In fact, the registrar's case is still going on too.
Really!...there has been no evidence about a scam...
Check the Justice PN Sinha report ...he was appointed by the high court to conduct the inquiry ....and as a result ...the Registrar was booted out...this particular Registrar is particularly friendly with a particular professor and his band...

sadly as a result of the enquiry a lot of hidden truths were revealed and a particular prof had to refund money for drawing this amount on a false pretext,apart from this this particular Registrar got booted for a number of issues like appointing his fav known person as a PA who followed him here to NUJS from his previous organisation ...this was done even after suitable internal candidates and external candidates had applied...and we're omitted by this booted registrar...to add the icing on the cake he sanctioned extra basic pay to this particular PA which subsequently the EC after the Registrar was booted ordered to refund back from this particular PA...and this was just the tip of the iceberg....other charges were prooved..check EC minutes available publicly...
Read also the report it's available publicly and then decide about the scam...hearing in the form of appeal can go on...so you can't say that no scam has been prooved...
Actually, the EC has been directed by the court to reconsider that report and hear the case all anew, which it has been doing for the past few months.
Nope. NKC citing COVID delayed having a discussion in the EC. When the EC directed him to quickly convene a special meeting, NKC and his Registrar took forever to issue the requisite communication and then played around with the dates. Only recently did the former Registrar finally get the opportunity to present his case. One more meeting is scheduled and then he is done.

The PN Sinha Inquiry Report was mostly about this man. But it also indicted several others. Bhat obviously did not want to upset the apple cart once SCM was fired. So he had the Inquiry Report buried. The EC by then had an interesting change. SCM's lawyer was now the AG! That ensured Registrar issue remained in limbo by appointing a certain faculty member as Registrar (Acting).

Bhat and AG deal got unstuck when SJA ousted Bhat and this particular Registrar (Acting). Due to SJA interventions, AG's attempts to kill off the inquiries got thwarted repeatedly. Lord Taluk was proving a liability when certain old deals under Bhat started coming unstuck as well. NKC was then appointed and he quickly understood that a former Registrar (Acting) needed to be brought back (for obvious reasons).

With SJA having imploded, COVID excuse and an EC that is packed with NKC and AG friendlies, it is going to be Bhat 2.0 soon.

Therefore it will be interesting to see what happens next with the state govt initiated inquiry. Will it upset the calculations struck between AG and NKC or is it actually part of the calculation, wherein more clean chits will be issued.
The incidents and occurences as claimed in these chain of posts...have they been verified?...
It seems from the posts that NUJS has already lost the court case and is stalling for time...? Is this true?...
Statements about incidents and counter incidents need to be verified ...need to cross check with the high court judgement of Justice IP Mukherji and Md Nizamuddin as to what is being narrated here is correct or not ?
https://www.legallyindia.com/lawschools/dodgy-nujs-decoration-contract-still-hasn-t-been-cancelled-by-vc-despite-scathing-judicial-report-20160920-7984

The contract was cancelled under SJA pressure. But there is no mention in the EC/FC records whether the money was recovered. What about other dodgy contracts, such as those involving purchases of ACs and chairs etc?

The recruitment of PA of Registrar was punctuated with favoritism. Why wasn't the recruitment cancelled? Why just limit things to recovery of excess payments (another favoritism)? What about the charge of helping the former Registrar to remove sensitive documents from office? What is NKC doing about all this and more mentioned in the PN Sinha Inquiry Report?

Why is NKC shirking from having a discussion on the PN Sinha Inquiry Report? Shouldn't that happen anyway, especially when the EC is hearing out the former Registrar whose antics are central to the Inquiry?
Great....if there is no scam.....why boot the Registrar...the EC is cruel...who were these foolish EC members who booted the Registrar?...a pity....that they didn't read your post here and then decided whether a scam happened or not....

.the booted Registrar should join back and usher in a golden age of academic and administrative excellence for NUJS... We should all await this golden age everything will be fine and NUJS will become the best Law University in the world and the saints will all go marching by.....
Why just target the particular professor? There were other faculty members too who appeared as DWs. For years WBNUJS has refused to disclose the minutes and agenda notes of the meetings of the Infrastructure Dev Committee or other internal committees that were supposed to supervise how UGC funds got spent. The PN Sinha Inquiry Committee had recommended action against many other NUJS officials. Why wasn't this done by Prof Bhat or his successors, including NKC?

The HC has disposed off the appeal by the former Registrar, SCM. The Court wants the EC to hear out SCM once more. EC is free to stick to its earlier position or amend. After a long wait SCM has now been allowed to make physical representation before the EC. The matter is still on.

Why wasn't the PA of Registrar fired? Why is NKC dragging his feet on implementing the recommendations of the PN Sinha Inquiry Committee? Why has NKC favoured the return of a former Registrar (Acting) who ensured that EC did not have further discussions on the Inquiry Report? Because of his friendly relations with Slapgate teach and her friends, including those in the IDC committee and named in the Inquiry Report?
The former registrar's case has ended in HC. It has only directed the EC to hear out the former Registrar one more time. No other relief was given. NUJS is free to stick to its earlier decision or amend.

It will be interesting to know whether the former Registrar has brought anything new to the table or playing the same old record.
Do the PIL...you are concerned about kesh kala not doing proper inquires? So you should do the PIL

And don't shoot arrows in the dark abot people helping in booting a corrupt Registrar ...it was all done through court procedure...

So do a PIL ..all your concerns would be addressed ...
Dont think anybody has the power to influence the courts...so don't worry about pending cases in the courts...justice will prevail

Do the PIL instead of hoping that others will do it...
You are concerned about the courts not doing their job...don't worry the courts will do their job...but do the PIL since people feel Kesh Kala won't do his job..so do the PIL

Which corrupt Registrar are you talking about? A lot of corrupt Registrar's in NUJS have been booted?...

don't worry about such issues...
Do the PIL with the help of a particular professor and his band then all your concerns will be taken care off...since all dark secrets need to see the light of day...for NUJS to be the best Law University in the world...
Only one corrupt Registrar was booted out. The others under Bhat were allowed to leave without suffering any consequences. Kesh Kala actually batted for and ensured the return of a former Registrar (Acting).

Clearly past record of (in)action by univ administration, the EC and the courts gives you the confidence that things will die down or get buried, as they have, consistently, in the past. It is highly likely that history will repeat itself. Then why do you worry so much? Because "inquiries" should have been buried deep by now...as if things never happened? And Kesh Kala and Co. are struggling to keep the lid shut? Because your friend RG got slightly nicked. What if AM gets scalped? What if you are next despite the help from AG's friend?

Please don't repeat the TMC takeover, ex-MLA daughter, Law Minister and AG ruling the EC and other such stories. People don't remain ignorant forever.
I humbly request students not to discuss issues relating to the so-called irregularities which are not proven and some issues are sub judice. The link to the enquiry should not have been shared on LI either. When there are internal student groups why is everything being discussed on LI or public groups? There was also a meme against the SJA recently on the NUJS meme group which was in bad taste. Please do not do this in public view.
I humbly request you to withdraw your request. People are free to discuss whatever they want to, including sub-judice matters. Please consult the Constitution on that matter further.
Why? Where else should it be done? A GB meeting? There hasn't been one in 2 years. The GB has no idea about this. LegallyIndia is the only place where NUJS students can learn something about what's happening in their university. Once again, the blame for this is entirely on the SJA.
What's stopping students from the GB to call a meeting on their own? Don't they know all the batch IDs?
I have a rather particular problem with people who plagiarise PhD dissertations and commit academic fraud.
Make a formal complaint if you have such grievance. Is anyone stopping you?
The particular TMC trolls on LI were busy defending the appointment of NKC over VCV, despite VCV's better qualifications and NALSAR link, despite NKC being rejected when applying for VC at other NLUs. Now VCV is implementing a lot of good reforms at HNLU. Where are these trolls now?
The VC Search Committee of WBNUJS comprised of Justice Arun Mishra, the then CJ of Calcutta HC and I think the AG of West Bengal. If what you say is true, then that means that the judges went "political" However, if the media and many legal stalwarts are to be believed, then JAM is as saffron as one can be. The CJ of Calcutta HC also would not like to cross swords with a highly placed SC judge. And despite being a political appointee, AG would not dare for similar reasons.

Are you actually saying that saffron was overwhelmed by the green grass. Or maybe NKC was better being a pumpkin?
They are still waiting for HNLU to catch up with NUJS. Once VCV manages that, we shall see.
p.s. He is not considered an academic of repute in any credible academic circle (LI comments section is of course in a league of its own). TBF, nor is NKC.
First try to publish a proper journal articles and then comment on the credibility of NUJS Law Review. Also, grow up dude. Would love to see where you get placed lol
Why is a certain faculty member always talking about the "wrongs" of a particular professor? What about "friends" AM and RG mentioned here https://www.legallyindia.com/lawschools/nujs-dismisses-sex-harassment-cell-romantic-observation-20130924-3995?

By the way, RG took the lead in another SH matter involving former SC Justice Ashok Ganguly and a Noojie. Wonder what made RG see things so differently. Maybe the victim belonged to a "different camp"?

For RG's services in the Justice Ganguly matter she was made the Head of Centre for Child Rights. Interestingly, RG was also the PhD supervisor of the state WCD Minister's daughter. This centre came under fire later when Justice Talukdar took over as the interim VC.

Kesh Kala is strongly batting for RG and her centre. AM being protected despite deep involvement in the distance education scam. Why is Kesh Kala so desperate to repeat a Bhat?
You are absolutely right...it's for this reason perhaps RG was removed from the ICC...you have stated absolutely the correct facts...
Now what do you propose to do to make NUJS great again or to make it the best in the world...
Please suggest some remedies...you can try to get all these faculty you feel are really not upto the mark out of NUJS ( you should also include your friends who are incompetent in that list) and employ good and the best people as faculty..

For this you will need help from a particular professor who is particularly a doyen in legal academia ...you need to chalk out a proper plan to make NUJS the best law University in the world...so the PIL should also help in clearing out all the wrongs that has happened..
Do the PIL,please...every question that you have will be answered with clarity..

Have faith in the particularly particular professor...he will see us through the dark times to enlightenment...
Why are you obsessed about a particular professor and indulge in crude wordplay involving dark. I think particular professor is well known and understood. What's with the PIL fetish anyway? If only judges and courts made things great.....
No one made any comments about skin colour. It is only in your mind.
NUJS must be the only law school which managed to drive away a brilliant set of very committed young faculty for all the wrong reasons. At its peak in 2014-15 it had a fine set of minds in both commercial and corporate law, HR and Labour law, criminal law and evidence. Then gradually a disgraceful and ugly fracas amongst the old guard of the faculty broke out leading to an ugly political situation where students were used as pawns and no attempt was spared to alienate these young men and women. The result is that today nearly all of them have left, the deadwood remains and the law school continues into a downward spiral with no end in sight. Truly a tragedy of epic proportions.
Who was this criminal law stud? Labour would be SB, Corporate I am guessing KR, though SKG is good too, but he is still here. You didn't mention IP, otherwise I would have thought of Shamnad. Others like Prabhash, Pritam, Danny and Chinmayi all had left before then.
A. Young? He was not Dev Anand.
B. He didn't leave for any other place. His retirement was long overdue.
C. He did not teach criminal law regularly.
SAK resigned in May 2018 to avoid getting sacked. Scooted. But NKC brought him back. Faisal is still around. Who then?
True. Is it the AG then before he became the AG? As AG he would often engage in bruising parleys with SJA (2016-19).
Thanks to the efforts of SJA office bearers (2016-19) we now have access to EC/AC/FC/GC etc minutes. By the way, why has NKC stopped uploading these records on NUJS website? More importantly, what is the SJA doing now. Not the COVID excuse please.

Anyway, those records and conversations with alumni, reveal that such exodus happened earlier as well. Happens every time there is a change of guard. It is not always so-called TLC vs NLU lobbies etc. Each VC brought his own politics, which caused the shuffle. Some played better than others. MPS definitely played better than PIB. Now NKC.

No VC in NUJS or anywhere else ever gets the hot seat purely on "merit" (merit itself being a contested category). There is always skulduggery, chicanery and the works involved, irrespective of NLU, TLC or "foreign" tags. Favours will need to be returned, gained, negotiated even betrayed.

It is true that MPS brought in a fantastic lot. But how were they brought in? Were recruitment and promotion rules applied evenly and transparently? I am not even getting into the whole "UGC rules are stupid" point because I agree. The ends do not always justify the means.

The deadwood were promoted or made permanent by MPS. Why? The origin point of several "alleged" scams plaguing NUJS can be traced to young turks and deadwood favoured by MPS.

Also the young turks of MPS had their own reasons to fly in and out depending on the weather. VC and power structures changed, they left for greener pastures elsewhere. The deadwood did not because of their own reasons.

People will come and go. Departures need not be storied. Faculty and admin staffs everywhere have factional fights and alliances. But some universities despite these fights are able to preserve and nurture a strong institutional culture of transparency, excellence and fairness. Those universities lose but also attract and can often retain talent.

NUJS is yet to become such a university. It never was one. Hopefully, it will become one.
https://thewire.in/law/uncloaking-the-rule-of-opacity-in-national-law-universities

https://www.legallyindia.com/lawschools/nujs-students-win-access-to-1-8gb-of-long-hidden-admin-meeting-minutes-from-madhava-menon-times-to-date-nearly-20190218-9895

These two articles make it abundantly clear that the university was forced to disclose EC/AC/FC/GC records due to the efforts of SJA (2016-19).

Right now, it is as if the SJA never existed. In any case there is now a regime friendly Student Council as well.
A 97-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 15-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 5-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 63-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 48-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 93-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 21-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 67-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 76-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 9-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 223-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 226-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 221-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 354-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 194-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 15-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 18-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 88-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 8-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 63-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.