Read 10 comments as:
Filter By
Hi, I am about to enter 2nd year of 3 years course.
I am exploring the field of Disputes- reading sections, blogs ,etc. I find this area a little less boring than corporate laws like companies act, SEBI regulations, etc. I am thinking to put all my efforts in this field.
Please give your views on disputes as a career. And also how is the pay and job satisfaction in comparison to other areas?

Thanks
Apne local High Court and District courts mein ghoomo and matters suno. Apne aap pata chal jayega
It has actually become easier to get access to hearings and virtual proceedings happening at far off places. There are proposals for live streaming of proceedings by various forums and High Courts. One is already doing that.
It's a pity you can't order job satisfaction online on Amazon. Corporate laws Rs 500 / kg, disputes Rs 300/ kg. One day delivery. Free for prime members.
Hey Hi,
Litigation is the most fulfilling profession. Only caveat, that you should not join this profession from livelihood perspective.

If you have a good source of financial support [Spouse in Govt job, politician, Big businessman], then you may start your practice as a way of helping others and serving society.

It is not very philosophical but only in few years you would gather a good reputation and then money would automatically start flowing and can be treated as your extra goodies.

Alternatively, if you do not have a financial support then transaction based law is better.

Reason: Transaction based law is more paying as the Client is paying and receiving services;
Dispute resolution is basically a gamble on the outcome and therefore clients are reluctant to pay.

Godfather, HC practice vs Lower Court practice and other things all either corroborate or erode away in the light of financial aspect and its fixed source.
Hey, thanks for the detailed answer.
I think I should have framed my question better.
Is the pay in Disputes lower than in other teams like M&A, gen corp, etc. in T1 and T2 law firms. I am asking this because, I am at a point where I have an option to choose my specialization, so I just want to know every aspect of it and then make a decision. And no, I don't have any financial support. I am already a little late in my career (as per society standards) and need to be financially independent ASAP.
At most top tier law firms, the pay is the same for disputes, and non-disputes practice areas. Though I'm not sure about progression and eventually becoming a partner etc. Just speak to some seniors who have joined these firms.
Exactly. Bollywood jaisa hai litigation. Har koi SRK/Amitabh nahi ho sakta. Most of them hamesha background dancers/low lvl work hi karenge zindagi bhar.