Read 2 comments as:
Filter By
I am from a top 3 NLU, just completed my third year. Have been trying to apply to tier 1 and good tier 2 firms for a year but got no positive replies. I do regular follow-ups, got my cv proofread by a senior. My grades are average but have a decent cv otherwise (reputed publications, international arb moots, good courses). Peers with similar grades seem to be getting internships through email applications. Seniors I talked to got internships easily with worse ranks. RCC opportunities have been few so far and bagged by the top 20 rankers. I don't know what I am missing. Have no contacts within legal circles at all. Anxiety is setting in as recruitment will begin in a year. Any word of advice? What could be the mistake that I am making?
Try seeing if your earlier internships can display a trajectory toward a particular niche practice area, competition, disputes, etc. and apply to a specific boutique firm that's well respected in the area. Likelihood of being accepted is higher if you do this and point out your suitability in the cover letter (particularly for the area) not generally being a good student. Then a respected name like that which is tier 1 or 2 in the niche can help with larger tier 1 firm applications. Also try using contacts, since you're from a top 3, this contact can just mean seniors and alumni, not rich kid family contacts. Someone you worked with at a moot or journal they may not have the power to get you the internship but can sometimes get your email noticed or put in a good word once the HR has noticed your email.