Read 16 comments as:
Filter By
I am a senior associate at a top tier firm in India having spent 7 years here (yes they have not promoted me on time and am still a SA). I have got an offer from a Silver Circle firm in UK as a 3rd year associate. Pay is just about alright, ofcourse lesser than International and Magic Circle firms. Any suggestions on whether continue in India and possibly become a Partner in the next 5 years or start afreash in a new jurisdiction.
Relentless pursuit - applied through foreign recruitment consultants and career pages of firms, did not work out. Finally a random message dropped to a Managing Partner of the firm in UK brought luck. The nice gentleman arranged for interviews (where there were 4 rounds over a period of one and a half months) and that is how i made it. As one can imagine a lot of luck is required.
Thank you for answering. I appreciate it. Good luck with whatever choice you make!
Any leads on foreign recruitment consultants? Also, are you a gen-corp/PE-M&A lawyer? I have seen these options opening up for banking and finance lawyers in the last couple of years. None for gen-corp/PE-M&A lawyers.
This much effort means you really wanted to leave your current role and move here. Then why the doubt?
Well this boils down solely to personal preference. If your question is whether you’ll fall behind on Indian law firm partner track if you return, then possibly yes.

As to whether starting over as A3 in the UK is a better life than your current one in India - think this is something you’ll have to answer for yourself depending on how your priorities are aligned. If you’re of the opinion that law firm partner track in India is not a great life, I would imagine it would be more or less the same in the UK (perhaps marginally better if you’re lucky). I’m only guessing though, I can’t speak on this from experience. Added benefits of travel, lifestyle, etc. of course to be factored in depending on how much you value these things.

Could you also shed some light on how you went about procuring this offer? LLM, foreign consultants, etc.?
Unlike India, partnership in UK firms actually means something. Most salaried partners in Tier-1 law firms are glorified senior-associates.
How did you get this offer?
UK = SQE/GDL?
Do you have any prior experience in UK or at least a Masters?
I had a similar option 10 years ago. In my view these opportunities abroad are rare and you should grab them ( I didn’t). You can always come back to India.
I think that's a great suggestion. Returning to India after a UK experience - you will be miles ahead your peers. So there is nothing to loose.
Like someone else said earlier, it depends on your priorities. The silver circle firm could offer a better work-life balance (although this varies significantly based on whether you're in a transactional or an advisory group) as well as flexible working options. On the other hand, promotion there might be slower (the SA/MA promotion happens around the 4/4.5 PQE mark depending on the firm's policy) and you will be at a significant disadvantage in relation to other 3PQEs who have presumably spent 5 years at the firm and have a better network in the group. You'll also have to spend some time adapting to a new market - client and counterparty expectations vary significantly and the learning curve will be steeper at the 3PQE mark. Remuneration wise, you can always jump to a MC or US firm a few years down the line. If you wish to move, I would consider this a good opportunity. Good luck!
Take it. Better pay, life and work. And you can always move back if you don’t like it / always make a lateral move to US/MC firms if greater pay or prestige is what you want. For now, take it and leave, you will not regret it.
If you're good, you will do well. Have faith in your abilities.
Not everything needs to be determined by the narrow prism of position and financial success.
There is plenty to be gained, such as work life balance and more importantly the chance to live in a new city and travel and visit new places.
Try to remove the opinions/success of others and make the decision based on what you solely want out of life.
I did that a few years ago and am all the more happier for it.