Read 12 comments as:
Filter By
Has st Stephens college lost its charm? I remember when a majority of the kids were from elite boarding schools of the country, were extremely polished and were the children of the most successful in India. Is it now just like any other college of India. With people sending their children abroad.
Yes. Most arts people prefer the top NLUs. Rich kids prefer to go abroad.
Yes, they have. All the smart folks generally now head to IITs, and elite private boarding school folks head to abroad, otherwise Ashoka and all.
St Stephens is funded in its entirety (100%) by UGC. They could bypass merit when it comes to Christian kids by virtue of being a minority institution but when it comes to the other kinds it has become harder for them to justify taking the rich snobs over the hardworking lot. After all, it is not a very Christian thing to do either. So yes, the rich brats may finally be sending them abroad when they are not able to crack Indian entrance processes. I am waiting for the day when that ridiculous process they use to still bring in that snobbery is removed too.

Narayan Murthy himself said in an interview that his son went to 'Stanford' because he could not crack the IITJEE.
Imagine going into the IITs when you have the opportunity to go into Harvard , Stanford , Yale etc.
Ramachandra Guha said once "in my time, the College (St Stephen's) was THE place to be in the social sciences, due to its pan-Indian catchment. But that has withered away in recent decades. I see the top law schools as the successors to that legacy. But do not rest on these laurels, because maybe tomorrow some other institution will take away your position at the top.". He said this at a Law School symposium around 2015-16.