Mine:

NLS
NALSAR
NUJS
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU

Mentally (ie beyond CLAT) NLUD at #4

This was also the list for most others at my CLAT coaching (except hometown based variations)
Sorry I had upvoted it, but saw your disclaimer later. As did most of the people.
1)NLS
2)NLUD
3)NALSAR
4)NLUJ
5)GNLU
6)MNLU Mumbai

This is what I’ll be using this year.
People have been putting MNLU in their top list for the last 5 years and then realising later what a bad choice they made placement-wise.
I can see some clear reasons why you won't be cracking CLAT this year.
Same uptil GNLU and after that GLC, Mumbai.

If you are going to a city for location advantage, might as well choose a college that will help you explore the city !
1) NLS
2) NALSAR
3) NLUD
4) NUJS
5)/ 6) GNLU & NLUJ (Interchangeable imo)
7) NLIU
How and why is this moderated as trollish? This is a common take in most NLU circles these days.
Both NLUJ and GNLU have been considerably better than NLIU for the last 4-5 years. More placements, better placed alumni among other things like scholarships and Training Contracts have clearly widened the gap.
NLIU had the early mover advantage having been the third NLU after NLS and NALSAR, but it dipped and then stagnated.
Although the NLIU students keep pulling their weight to keep themselves in the race, both NLUJ and GNLU have gained advantage over it in the last few years.
Moreover, there have been incidents of corruption and fake degrees being given out by NLIU, which does little to help its cause given that NLUJ and GNLU students have the institutional and government backing.
Having visited all three institutions, I can easily say that NLUJ retains its position as the No. 4 (When NUJS slipped, NLUD filled the Top 3 void), and GNLU is rising rapidly due to huge funding, greater government support and the large batch sizes.
If I was a CLAT aspirant today, I'd choose NLUJ or GNLU depending on whether I buy the idea of GNLU ultimately becoming even better due to government backing or not.
Nonetheless, NLUJ and GNLU would be a no-brainer over NLIU.
In fact, I know many students who are from Madhya Pradesh but chose NLUJ/GNLU over NLIU.

P.S: This does not mean that NLIU is a bad place to be. It has just lost its sheen dipped below the other two. Its still one of the best institutions for law in India and you can't really differentiate between the student quality of these three places. You can't go wrong with either of these places but if given the choice between the best deal and a close second best deal, I'd take the best one given the amount of investment one makes for these 5 years.
How exactly did NLIU slip and how can it be improved? Because as far as I can tell, the faculty at NLUJ/GNLU is no better or worse. And the new NLIU VC is rather good. The problem is one of causation. Because students rank it below NLUJ/GNLU now, it will get lower calibre students (exceptions aside), and that will cause NLIU to stagnate as bottom of Tier 2. This will in turn induce future CLAT rankholders to rank it belowe NLUJ/GNLU. Rinse, repeat. How does an NLU actually escape this trap - VVK is running an okay ship, recruiting teachers, there's no infrastructure shortfall etc. I am at a loss for thoughts actually.
Cute how you think a few marks less in CLAT amounts to lower calibre students
People who harp on other's calibre are usually the ones who tend to shoot blanks.
In my experience the admin of nliu was way worse in replying to emails and generally caring in any fashion. When I got upgraded to NLUJ in the next list it was a world of difference, I actually got contacted by the Uni instead of having to chase the admin around for a reply like at nliu. It just seems like they don't really care and have lax standards. They took 2 months and 50+ calls to finally refund my fees in the end
GNLU can either remain at the same spot it is at currently or go up in the future. NLIU can remain at the same spot or only go further down.
Agreed fully. GNLU is actually the only non top-3 NLU that I see in the news these days, like that Indian Express article last week. NLIU hasn't been on the map in a while
A 7-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Kian, the censorship policy that you've followed in this thread should be followed in all LI threads. Just allow relevant comments to be posted. Everything else can be screened out.
Just go by NIRF rankings and you will be safe: NLSIU>NALSAR>NLUJ>NUJS>GNLU>RGNUL.
I'm an NUJS grad myself so I'm probably a bit biased here. That said, I do feel NUJS is comfortably positioned above NLUJ regardless of NIRF ranking. Id maybe even go so far as to say GNLU is doing better than NLUJ in terms of research output, exposure to opportunities and all. RGNUL may see better days ahead with new admin, but NLIU has it beat by a wide margin in terms of everything that matters, including placements.
The order is fine. The only issue for your downvotes is you have quoted NIRF ranking.
You people need to think of the future, not now. For example, at one point of time people chose IIM Bangalore or Calcutta over IIM Ahmedabad. They regretted it later, when IIMA became the most prestigious one. Similarly, think of the future. GNLU and MNLU will be in the top tier in future, while NLUJ and NLIU will be displaced.
The best would be

1. NLSIU Bangalore

2. NALSAR Hyderabad

3. NLU Delhi (If you have a good score in AILET)

4. NUJS Kolkata (Whether you go to NUJS or NLU Delhi depends on your personal choice as both have equal standards)

5. NLU Jodhpur

6.NLIU Bhopal

7. GNLU

8. MNLU Mumbai

After this the NLU you go to doesn't matter

RMLNLU, HNLU,

NLUO, NUALS etc
NLSIU
NALSAR
NUJS [Add NLUD if you are considering AILET)
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU

With regard to GNLU being placed over NLIU, it is the unparalleled funding that sets it apart. Also, the fact that they have churned out 2 Rhodes scholars in the recent past. It surely is a better bet than NLIU.
1. nls - reputation

2. nujs - placement

3. nalsar - faculty and admin

4. nlud - location and infra

5. gnlu - future

unis and their characteristics where they top, relative ranking based on all their characteristics combined with most weight given to placement (33%) and the rest equally (11%)
I would say with the latest hires, NLSIU may just have the overall edge regarding faculty too.
Can we stop these discussions when the government of India has already given an official ranking through NIRF? Coaching centres are ignorant and have their own agendas in pushing up certain NLUs. Do not trust them, trust NIRF. It is NIRF that has spoken the cleat truth of GNLU being better than NLIU. No coaching centre will tell you that.
You'll be downvoted to oblivion shortly once the NLIU fanboys come out in droves pretending they haven't drastically fallen in rankings in the last half decade or so while GNLU has been pushing ahead steadily. NIRF is a little too arbitrary for my taste, but there's more to a college than its NIRF numbers. Even so, GNLU has had two Rhodes scholars recently and it's overflowing with money. Sure, you may say money means nothing, but they offer litigation students an unconditional stipend after graduation, implemented fee waivers for Covid, scholarships for CLAT toppers etc. NLIU has sort of just stagnated, resting on its laurels, but everyone knows its heydays are sadly behind it.
NIRF does not consider all the features of a law school. For example, student achievements and ecosystem that enables it. Every ranking would have its own weaknesses.
Government of India also asks all the universities to celebrate Yoga Day and thank Modiji for the vaccines. It shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Absolutely not. Everyone should be guided by NIRF as it is the official ranking.
Everyone should also be taking patanjali's coronil to cure Corona then.
Dear number 15, you are mostly correct that these days GNLU sits above NLIU based on student feedbacks, alumni analysis, recruitments and other parameters. Just do not quote NIRF on this.
When I filled the form ages ago, it was:
1. Law School
2. NALSAR
3. NUJS
4. NLIU
5. NLUJ
6. GNLU
Don't remember beyond that. I told myself I would take NLUD in case I didn't get at least NUJS. Now I would take it in case I don't get NLS or NALSAR. GLC over Jindal/Symi/Christ if nothing else panned out.
NLSIU
NALSAR
WBNUJS
NLUJ
GNLU
NLIU

Not including NLUD as it is not a part of the Consortium. (But I'll keep it at 2nd place)
I don't know why this topic keeps coming up. There is an official ranking, NIRF. Go by that.
NLS
NALSAR
NLUD
NUJS
NLUJ
GNLU

This is my list. I have put NALSAR above NLUD cuz NALSAR is a older school and thus has a better alumni network and Hyderabad is comparatively safer (well no city is completely safe but). While NLUD is great and it is very good to see how far it has accomplished itself in considerably very little time, I still choose NALSAR above NLUD.