Read 49 comments as:
Filter By
What positive changes or reforms would you like to see in law firms? My take:
1. Hybrid online-offline work
2. Flexibility to choose practice areas and work hours (number of matters at a time), basically bandwidth, subject of course to compensation adjustments if required
3. Gig economy (it's a very lucrative option, not sure why firms are reluctant to try out)
4. Work culture and mental health to be a priority

Please include more.

PS. I am not in the management of any law firms. But sure this thread would help them.
Because of outright abusive partner and counsel in the Delhi office.
Could you give a hint which partner this is? Would be really helpful for people who are deciding whether they want to work at Trilegal Delhi or not!
Can you please give a hint so people can avoid the team? Maybe the name rhymes with something or the initials, or which college they are from? Please, this will help a lot.
Not only disputes but competition too.
It's mainly because of toxic work culture of the team.
What you don't understand is that law firms are not made for any of these. They are inherently stressful because that's how it is designed to work.
Could someone ELI5 to me why this is the optimum way for law firms to work? What is so critical about our profession that it has to be structured as a pressure cooker?
Coz money and/or lives are always at stake in each matter. So duh..it will always be a pressure cooker.
Okay sure, there's a lot of money on the line, but will that money be served any differently if 3 lawyers earning 65K each worked 8 hours on the job rather than 2 lawyers earning 1L worked 12 hours on it? If associates are as expendable as the suggestion is, then surely one hour of work from associate A = one hour of work from associate B? Why is the number of hours someone works critical to these outcomes?
You simply don't attract the right candidates by paying them half- even if they have less working hours.
Even i agree alot of pressure is avoidable and unnecessary. I started out on my own after being in firms and did couple of deals, expectations from clients and deadlines were same, but no useless stress. So if one wants to bring out a change in a firm, that's possible.
This is not just in India (law firms and extreme hours and stress) . Across the world. From West (US, Canada & UK) to East (Mena, China, Sri Lanka and India) it's built like this.
Yes, so I'm trying to understand the why of it. Other industries have figured out efficient ways to handle it, surely we're no different?
Sigh..you must be one of those who thinks people doing lower level work are not as important as doctors, lawyers etc πŸ€¦πŸ»β€β™‚οΈ Bet you treat sweepers, maids etc like shit
My dude, how did you make the leap from differences in the pressure that your working conditions require to dignity of labour?

Grandeur because you think your work has any immediate consequence to anybody. Let's stop kidding ourselves, other than a small minority of us (none of whom are found in law firms) we're nowhere near as valuable as doctors are to the world. So I would very much put us in the category of "lower level work". Doesn't mean you're not as worthy of dignity as a doctor or a sweeper tho.

For your sake, I hope your legal advice doesn't have as many leaps in logic.
Laywers are as important as any other profession/service. Maybe not you though since you seem to feel that urself πŸ˜‚
Sad to see you think you are in a "lower" category and still chose to/continue to be a lawyer. But don't club all of us with you. Most of us like what we do.
Yeah, a quick perusal of the LI comments section would reveal just that. Everybody here just love what they do.
Work from home offers great flexibility but totally takes away from so many amazing things about working in an office - 1. Fewer distractions than home; 2. Easier coordination with colleagues; 3. Actually getting to know your colleagues! This is the real big loss for freshers especially. You don't know what you have until it's gone.
I'm an A3 and I don't want to see my collegues or seniors. You're just lonely. Try having some friends outside work?
Does your job actually allow you enough time to make and sustain friendships from outside of work? Most of my friends are fron work because that's where I spend nearly 80 hours a week. How does one make friends outside work with our hours?
Why is the permanent work from home model attractive if it means working 24/7 and even on Sundays (as has been the case since WFH began) ? Isn't work from home the worst possible model? There were at least some boundaries in the pre work from era, this isn't the case anymore where you have to work even on holidays and during sickness simply because it doesn't require one to come to office anymore.

Virtually everyone on this platform has serious grievances against the WFH model and the adverse impact on health has been documented. And yet somehow people want WFH to continue at the same time.
I would say for working parents it's a good option. It's far difficult for them than others but they get to be around their kids.
That's because once offices open up, it's not going to be pre-COVID era with physical boundaries of workplace and home. Now that they know you can work from anywhere, it's going to mean: "Come to office, work. Go back to home and work again like you used to during WFH." So that's not going to solve any WFH problem. It will just add an extra 2 hours of travel to WFH and tire you out even more.
My parents live in a Tier 2 city. WFH has been a blessing for me as I could spend a lot of time with them and take care of them.
Even my work efficiency has increased.
Firms should start by putting partners through "How to talk to associate without using condensing tone/screaming at the top of their voice" classes.
-_-
Also teach associates to work without asking 100 questions and making a mess even for the smallest issues.
Take notes freshers. This is the kind of Partner you don’t want to be. Answer the 200 questions your juniors have because that’s what good mentors do.
Take note freshers, at a law firm you are paid 10 times more so that you hit the ground running.
That can be solved easily enough if the law firms would actually teach anything to the associates, which they do not at present.
Why not have mentoring partners or coaches who are lawyers and who basically train juniors. Will make life easier for everyone.
That's a good idea. AO's should work for free/stipend of an intern during the time they are getting mentored. One condition is enough for that.
Mr. Typical Tier 1 Partner seems to be an expert in complex transactions ever since he was in the womb. We are mortal beings, sir. Need some time to get the hang of things and we ask questions for that. That's what normal people do. But then, that's just us.
Then also partner was once an associate amd simply asking of question by your junior make you intolerant or frustrated then you aren't suited for role amd job. Just frustrated with your job
A 7-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.