Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
If corporate is so taxing in terms of hours of work and litigation doesn't pay well in initial years at least and judiciary doesn't appeal to me then what are some other fields in law that pays well and are not as demanding as corporate law ?
What are the work hours and how is the pay in in-house compared to law firms ?
I always wondered why they said follow your passion and now I get it. In most of the professions that pay well you are going to have to put in a lot of hours and it is helps if your job and passion are the same. Think about a cricketer or musician or even a lawyer who is genuinely interested in law, I don't think they ever whine about work-life balance and why would they for their work is their life. Most of the guys here in law are just in for the money it pays not because they enjoy it thoroughly. The question should've rather been how do I identify something that I enjoy so much that I don't mind it taking over my life. When you figure that out you're all set till then make your hobby finding your passion :/
Thanks for your input, but even if I liked something a lot i wouldn't do it for 14 hrs a day-daily , leaving me no time for anything else. And even if I genuinely liked litigation, I still need money for survival in initial years.
If you genuinely like litigation you will stick to it despite the peanuts it pays and plenty out there do. The key is to strategize around the hurdles. Whether you make it big or not is a function of your competence not passion. Also any of you who has felt "genuine excitement" from the core about something will agree that 14 hours is nothing, people at times even forget things as vital as food and sleep.
Why troll people? Everyone knows it's an equally hectic if not worse team.
That's not always true. Many Capital Markets teams do largely clerical work for a good part of the year. Especially delhi based teams.
Let me give a different perspective here: government jobs. Law officers in departments, prosecutors, etc. You have good & challenging work (if you're up for it), steady pay, and more or less stable work timings.
PCSJ

Pays well 10 to 30 LPA over your career. 9 to 5 job. Less stressful. Hard to Crack.