Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
I am stating it early on that this a conspiracy theory which is going around in law student circles and it might not be true. I am putting it out here for your opinions and discussion. Refrain from naming a law firm, student or university when you comment.

I have come to know of a law school which I’ll refrain to name here, in this very law school, you’ll find children of founders of tier 1 law firms, top boutique firms, GCs and lawyers. ( this is concrete info ). Now the conspiracy theory is that this specific university waives the academic fees of all these children of partners, lawyers, gcs and judges by incorporating them in the plethora of scholarships that they have. And in return they get favours from these corporate bigshots in terms of recruitment and other stuff.

Isn’t this a type of corruption where you don’t directly exchange money but exchange financially profitable favours?

Opinions only, no trash talking and cold calling.
Doesn't seem to make much sense except mayyyybe in the case of a lower judge? because they sure could afford the fees. If it's about a spot, that sounds like a different thing. Why would anyone go to such roundabout trouble if they're already rich and influential to waive fees??
Even if they are a partner a fees of 50 lacs is a lot and moreover sometimes it’s not just about fees. It’s about merit too. The university that OP is talking about seems to a a top tier university and if it’s a private university they don’t take from CLAT is what I guess.

If I was a partner and my kid couldn’t clear CLAT and at the same time he/she got offer from a tier 1 university with little or no fees, I’d go for it, I mean what’s the harm. And I don’t think this specific university goes ahead and has a contract about the firm recruiting from it or asks for it explicitly. It’s just the burden of returning the favour, that I as a partner would have towards the university that is education my child for free.

There is no regulating authority for such matters and even if an investigation was done into this, I don’t think the partner can be held liable. Because recruitment is an individual internal process and every firm has the right to recruit as many students from any university they want. On the other hand, scholarship is also a subjective internal process with little scope for interference. And as long as the firm is not just solely recruiting from the university in question and the university is not solely giving out scholarships to nepo kids, they stand firm against standards of reasonability and nothing can be done about them
As a student of the university that you’re talking about what you’re saying might be true and is a part of university’s strategy. The university is moving on the lines of universities like Harvard. The plan is to recruit so many students from affluent background that university’s reputation goes up. And privileged people find their way into jobs. The college placement cell won’t even need to work that much. If you’re producing 1500 law graduates in a year, even if 150 people get into what is known as successful jobs, you’re injecting 150 successful people who are loyal to you in the system. And believe me the number is much higher for people with privilege. And out of the 1500 people even if one of them starts a successful startup or gets an international recognition like a nobel, the reputation of university shoots up. The next up of this strategy is that the university including all the disciplines that it has might be graduating 15,000 students each year in the next 5 years. That is huge. And these are not 15,000 normal kids. These are 15,000 kids coming from the cream of society. Some of them are currently son/daughter to ministers and chief ministers and no government would want such a university with such massive output and scope for representing India globally to fail. So they’ll put in all the efforts to uplift this certain university.
This isn't really a conspiracy theory. It's open practice and there's nothing unethical about it. Where there's a potential benefit for the university, what's the harm in waiving off a few students' fees?