Read 34 comments as:
Filter By
Just linkedin posts of major legal whistleblower and clat mentor rajneesh singh, the two posts go as follows

Quote:
NLSIU Bangalore 1500 seats BALLB 2028 Batch
Quote:
Harvard of the east (NLSIU Bangalore) is all set to challenge the best ones (globally) with a five-year ambitious expansion and enrichment plan. NLUs degrees has gradually taken over IITs degrees in terms of rewards and returns and has become the most coveted and rewarding degree in India after that of IIMs. This is the right time for Indian law schools to gear up and aim for excellence at par with global standards. At present, the standard is below expectations. Highlights of the plan 1. Inclusion and expansion from now till 2025. 2. Increasing student diversity by admitting students from various marginalized and disadvantaged sections of Indian society 3. expanding the University student intake in a phased manner to 2200 seats and becoming a multi-disciplinary higher education institution 4. 3 year LLB to be reinvented 5. 25 percent intake for Karnataka students 6. 27 percent intake to OBC, apart from existing SC/ST quota 7. 10 percent seats to EWC 8. developing world-class online and hybrid educational content 9. stronger scholarship policy and academic support programmes 10. maintain a 1:15 faculty-student ratio across all programmes. 11. expand academic and residential facilities 12. Inline with National Education Policy (NEP) 2020
1) Isn’t so many students a very problematic issue?

2) 25% domicile quota + 27% obc quota (excluding quota for sc/st) + 10% EWS + NRI Quota + Sc/St quota, a) isn’t this a violation of the supreme court ruling which disallows reservation beyond 50% b) is NLSIU actually the flag bearer of merit that it claims? (Not saying that reservations are not important but in this plan I don’t see any space for meritorious candidates)
The same old and outdated perception: Unreserved seats = meritorious candidates.
Reserved seats = candidates without merit.
Please pay more attention in law school.
The SC 50% decision does not apply to domicile reservation, by the way.
First. Rajneesh Singh isn’t blowing any whistles. The plan is on the nls website for everyone to see.

And the plan says - by 2028 they plan to increase student intake to 2200, with 1500 students for the BA llb programme, 120 students for the llm and 240 students for the MPP. This means they will have roughly 300 BA llb students in every batch. Not 1500. They intend to hire more to keep student - faculty ratio at 1:15.

And secondly, only SC ST OBCand ews categories are vertical reservation. The others are horizontal. Enough kids from Karnataka place in the top ranks at clat anyway. This is unlikely to actually affect merit at all. And nls wouldn’t be in violation of anything.

It’s all outlined here : https://www.nls.ac.in/news-events/nlsiu-inclusion-and-expansion-plan-2021-25/

Easy enough to look up and a one minute read. There’s no need to fear monger.
I'm confused about your stance regarding reservation and merit. Are you saying that vertical reservations induce students with less merit to get in, while horizontal ones do not? If so, then NLSIU would actually suffer because they currently do not have all the vertical reservations referred to here like OBC and EWS.
I do not personally believe in any privileged notion of merit myself, but tripling your student strength is likely to have at least some adverse effect on the overall career prospects of the students, law firm or otherwise.
I think that vertical reservations for SC ST OBC students is justifiable based on socio economic realities. I don’t think these students are less meritorious because they overcame significant obstacles to get to where they are. There’s also studies that show this kind of reservation works, these students are able to compete at the university and when they graduate they invest in their community.

I don’t think a vertical domicile reservation has similar justifications. The justification for a domicile reservation mainly is that taxpayers from thr state fund the NLU and therefore should have a piece of the pie. To my mind that’s a problem of - why is a state government funding a national institute and why can they hold them hostage for preferential treatment. I have a similar stance with NRI quota and foreign national students who don’t compete in the same exams and even when they do they don’t perform as well but are anyway admitted because they bring in money. I think these things take away opportunities for other more deserving students. I’ve been at an institute that offers a domicile quota. While some of the quota students were perfectly competent, many more struggled to keep up and didn’t contribute to the learning project the same way. It also made the student body very conscious of regionalism and kept us from mingling with those from other states.

You can disagree. I’m not so concerned with political correctness as I am about Speaking from my experience.
One does not have to be a Rhodes scholar to figure out how ill-thought out this is on multiple counts, and I am talking specifically about batch sizes here:
1. The legal market in India is simply not that big to give well paying jobs to so many students at once, and is not even going to grow sufficiently in terms of size by employees anytime in the near future to absorb such a large number of graduates. A Tier-1 firm on average would not have more than a combined strength of 500-600 lawyers, and this for larger firms, other firms are even smaller. To this one could argue not everyone wants to be in a firm, alright but where are the alternatives for employment then, in-house teams are even smaller, exams for PSUs and government do not anyway require or really depend on your NLU degree, and not everyone has the contacts or financial wherewithal to pursue a career a litigation, particularly in the early years. (which is indeed a gamble in itself).
2. Connected to the previous point is the fact that there is/going to be a glut of NLU graduates across the market anyway with practically every state having an NLU (and some having multiple), this adds to the former point that this is clearly a market where employers have the upper hand, further keeping salaries under cap. In this situation adding to student intake seems clearly a bad move.
3. Law is not engineering, there simply not enough demand in the market for lawyers as say there is for computer engineers.
4. NLS cannot be compared to private Unis like JGLS, from where Zud seems to be getting max inspiration. Those have very different aims and student body with different requirements, this would be like IIT comparing itself and following policies from places like Manipal or VIT, these maybe good private unis in their own right but the profile of student entering there is quite often very different.
5. This is just a short sighted move driven by getting more cash, reputation of the college be damned. In the pursuit of short term gain, this will lead to long term pain for future batches. This would be like killing the proverbial golden goose. Zud should know better being an alum himself.
Buddy, this as nothing to do with merit or excellence. Its about making money. Also, merit won't be too badly hit as the NUJS and GNLU rankers will now come to NLSIU. A certain standard will still be maintained.
3 year LLB at an NLU is horrible.

What people don't understand is that. Being in an NLU is not about faculty or infrastructure.

It's the advantage of sitting with a diverse & intelligent crowd for half a decade. Sharing rooms and eating together.

The bonds made in an NLU can't ever be seen in a law college where everyone is a day Scholar.

Also NLU's are close knit Communities. In 5 years you will know almost everyone in your University. That's because batch size is less.

Even the biggest NLU has Max 180 per batch. 1500 per batch is stupid. It will just be like studying in money minting Jindal or a Big University.
Literally no adult cares that you made bffs in law school. The reason your degree has any value is because you got a rigorous education that built in some discipline. The best universities around the world have large batch sizes. As long as they maintain a good faculty ratio and have small class sizes. Everything else is irrelevant.
If true then Sudhir is copying Jindal's strategy of expanding to get Eminence status and crack QS. He has already copied the strategy of hiring NLU alumni with foreign degrees.
Is there any good decision he has ever taken (SudheEEr). NO.

NLS Students and Alumni should act to prevent this big mess this man is trying to make.

JGLS Model is stupid. When the batch sizes are super huge, quality reduces. [...] but at the end of the day. They end up taking phone numbers from coaching institutes to call students to join- all it matters is the ability to pay up 50 lakhs- in Jindal. Jindal has a really hard time filling seats. NLS won't be the same selective law school it was. ##RIP
1. That's their claim.
2. That happens only when CLAT and other examinations have been getting delayed because of the pandemic. JGLS of course has online entrance exams now, because their students need not worry about accessibility issues.
These are discussions happening for getting IOE status. Nothing final.
Ha ha!! NLSIU copying JGLS!! All about πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘πŸ€‘
Schrodinger's NLS - simultaneously "too many seats" and "not enough seats for meritorious students"

Also, don't bandy about misleading headlines like abovementioned "whistleblower" [...]. It's 300 per batch, and likely will stay at 100 or less per class (they'll do sections) at the LLB level
Brilliant move by Sudhir to destroy the competition and monopolise placements. If this happens, then NALSAR, NLUD, NUJS and NLUJ will be in serious trouble and other NLUs will be nuked. Basically, all those who would normally be students in the NLUs ranked between 2 and 6 will now make it to NLSIU and they will obviously choose NLSIU over the other NLUs. So the other NLUs will be deprived of good students. Even good faculty will join NLSIU, since so many students means an increase in faculty, just like in JGLS. So NLSIU will then take away all the jobs that would have normally gone to NALSAR, NUJS etc.

The whole idea is to monopolise placements. A very clever masterstroke!
Placements don't work like that buddy. You would have known that had you actually been a student of any of these NLUs. No firm, even today, prefers an NLS batch rank 40 over, say, an NLUD, NALSAR or NUJS batch rank 20. Even when NLS's batch strength ends up being 300, there's no reason why any firm would want to pick an NLS batch rank 100 over batch rank 30 of these other colleges.
Oh I think they’ll be fine. Harvard law admits some 180+ students every year and they manage to get placed. Closer home nalsar recently doubled its batch size and still manages to get everyone placed at the end of the day.

As long as there’s no degradation in student quality of life- they’re housed well, fed well, taught well. And they maintain student-teacher ratio and small class sizes. This really shouldn’t affect them too badly.
First of all, comparing the US legal industry with the Indian one is foolhardy. There are neither that many comparable employers here, nor that many jobs. There are hardly 7-8 firms paying the sort of salary that would attract a top law student.
Secondly, even Harvard does not have a 300-batch strength.
Thirdly, the amount of reputational difference between Harvard and few of the other universities isn't as less as that between NLSIU and the other top NLUs. There are law firms with the policy of only hiring from Harvard. The scenario here is not the same.
Fourth, frankly, there are not that many quality law faculty with experience. Jindal knows that, which is why they use a large number of young, unproven people to support the teaching workload of their real star faculty. Unless NLSIU increases the fees commensurately, simply increasing the batch size won't give them access to that much spare fund to emulate that model.
How did LI and B&B miss such a huge story? It was posted on the website on 1 July.
So now Sudhir has blatantly copied Jindal. I hope people will stop attacking Jindal now, because the #1 NLU is a copycat of Jindal!!
Sudhir's logic is simple:

1. Poach those who would have gone to other top NLUs
2. Attract grads from top colleges like Stephens and Hindu for the LLB. Maybe even IIT grads. Why not?
3. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
NLSIU is now officially the Jindal of the South. Jindal = original model, NLSIU = copied model.
Don't worry about NLSIU. Worry about other NLUs. They will face a huge dip in student quality because Sudhir will basically poach those who would have normally gone to those places.
Next time NLSIU people jeer at sports fests, this should be the counter:

"NLS ka baap kaun?
Jindal!! Jindal!!"