Read 14 comments as:
Filter By
Educational inequality is real. If someone is trying to bridge the gap, let him/her do his/her bit.
I really don't think Lawsikho is promising to make anyone legal500 'rising stars'.

Hardly 5000 lawyers work at tier-I law firms in India, and not every law student would make it there. If someone can teach others a few life/legal skills, please let them do that.

I come from a lower middle class background, and I know that the things which are taken for granted by the privileged bunch are not all accessible to others. Even the smallest tips like how to make a CV, how to set up a law practice, how to network, how to draft etc., make a huge difference in the life of the non-NLU students.

It is easy to say that law students should not take online courses to improve their legal/ life skills. Itโ€™s harder to say that if those same students had some guidance, they would do better.

Also, we have plenty of threads on LI on why we don't have entrepreneurs from law school. Think. We call them 1 PQE washout.
A 12-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 104-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Itโ€™s not about being some keyboard warrior. Iโ€™ve been on hiring committees- Iโ€™ve seen my seniors sneer at people who do these certificate things. They have a bad reputation in the marketplace. You put this stuff on your CV- you wonโ€™t improve your chances at getting hired at all. [...]

The thing you can do to overcome all this inequality is to study. Really put in those hours at the library everyday. Actually learn the law- beyond what youโ€™re taught, and get too grades at whatever college youโ€™re going to. Intern with firms year round and impress your superiors with how much you know.

You donโ€™t need to pay [...] to learn how to make a cv. Thereโ€™s tons of free stuff on the internet. Thereโ€™s no secret sauce to this stuff. And you can learn drafting the same way everyone does- by working. And I donโ€™t even know how someone would teach you โ€œnetworkingโ€.

These people claim to have some secret sauce that only NLU students get. Some secret format to the cv that would get you that internship. Thereโ€™s no secret sauce. [...] The format of your cv matters less than the content. And the only tried and tested way to get a internships is to use every connection and apply early and often and follow up until they give it to you. Believe it or not - no one in a law firm expects students to know how to draft or be โ€œlaw firm readyโ€ the point of an internship is to help you learn as you work. If you canโ€™t get fancy internships at the first go- the intern at smaller places and really impress them and then build it up. Tons of law school students donโ€™t do corporate internships until their third or fourth year. Until then they work at smaller firms and with litigation chambers and NGOs. The brand of those places hardly matters - itโ€™s better to have an internship at a smaller lesser known place where you can truly learn new skills- than some big brand name internship where you and twenty others will not learn anything.

And if you approach any graduate from any NLU- theyโ€™ll give you all this advice for free. You donโ€™t have to pay for it.
There's no shortcut in life my friend. To be an employable graduate (whether in law or anything else), you have to have skills that require years to acquire. Hence before lawsikho and all, intelligent, hardworking students from not so reputed law schools used to pursue CS (which requires a lot of efforts and abilities). These people were well respected and hired. You'd be in a fool's paradise if you thought that spending some money on a random online course would add similar value.

Separately, being an entrepreneur requires the ability to create goods/ service that didn't exist before, the ability to fill a void that can be commercially exploited. [...]
Aren't there any positives to these courses?

Are they as useless as it is said in LI? Should I spend my money. Please tell as I am from a local private law college (not so heard of) and I see these courses as a way of uplifting myself.
What in godโ€™s name do you think NLU kids are learning? Nada, let me tell you. Theyโ€™re as perplexed as every other law student on graduating.
A 20-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.