Read 8 comments as:
Filter By
Going through the posts of several people on LinkedIn has made me realise that people often over glorify, simplest of tasks, which realistically won't even make it through the benchmark of being called an achievement, in the quest of gaining traction and finding more business.

Be it people in firms or independent litigation and transactional lawyers, both are in the above act, which often, in my humble opinion, leads to others questioning their talent and practice, despite being far safely located and placed in the career.

With this backdrop, I leave the discussion open on three counts:

A. Should we not have a mechanism, like the one on Twitter, to call such posts misleading or false, to secure the young brats not getting misdirected?

B. Is such glorification, by using judgements and cases one worked on or appear on, is in contravention with the BCI rules?

C. Is such glorification, really multiplying into gaining more business? Or is it just able to seek social media validation?

The floor is open for healthy debate, rants or trolling.
I know of a few lawyers whose LinkedIn posts boast of many clients and many cases, but they are rarely seen in courts. One such avid LI user often offers mentorship and writes lengthy posts with his observations and opinions; the same user repeatedly failed in core law subjects in law school because of his incompetency.
The competent, in demand lawyers or rather professionals from any industry, do not need to, nor have the time to write lengthy masturbatory posts boasting about their recent 'accomplishment' They let their actual work do the talking.

Further, the audience of such posts is not potential clients; it is mostly students or freshers in the industry, sitting in their boxers feeling fomo stalking their acquaintances. There's no business to be brought in for your practice by writing cliche motivational drivel about how failures are just stepping stones to success babyâ„¢

The clients know exactly who to go to for a new regulatory hurdle because the clients too are busy not reading any of these farcical posts. They're looking at the work being delivered to them.

As always, when it comes to human behavior, your grandma's wisdom remains undefeated.

"Empty Vessels make the most noise."

I say this as an embarassed, previously empty vessel that was in fact quite noisy in a past life.
Very well put out. I hope an ex [...] partner who started a firm stops spamming our LinkedIn with useless posts. Also someone from [...].
Virtual hearings have given us a new lane of content where the lawyer posts a picture of the himself appearing virtually followed by a beaten-to-death quote or how VC hearings are god's gift to mankind enabling them to appear before different courts on the same day.

Not only lawyers but even law students indulge in this sort of self-congratulatory content. Students who have done a couple of internships are offering paid services for CV vetting, contract drafting and whatnot to other students.

What's even more saddening is the kind of engagement these copy pasta, circlejerk posts are able to generate.

Another lane of content that has become extremely popular is how they applied for internship at 50 places and finally landed an internship with the offer letter attached in the post and how it's a testament of their persistence and drive to become great lawyers.
Quote:
Students who have done a couple of internships are offering paid services for CV vetting, contract drafting and whatnot to other students.
As hilarious as law students hiring other law students as interns and even issuing internship certificates!
Linkedin at the end of the day is just another social media- where experiences/ achievements are curated for an audience. It used to be decent a while ago with matured informative discourse on various topics, but now completely filled with wannabe lawsikho types where every random person is guru, career coach or a motivator. Best to avoid using linkedin