Read 29 comments as:
Filter By
As someone from the community about to start working at a law firm, I wanted your experiences (if any) of how LGBT+ associates fit in or things I would have expect (like casual homophobic jokes). It's been gnawing at me but I don't have any one to reach out to.
I've never come across any such thing, at least openly. Also, although not lgbtq, i'm ace (A) and not very open about it.
Don't worry. As far as you are good at work, I don't think anyone would care even if you are open about it. Being open would help unwanted advances too probably. But this is in Mumbai tier 1 law firms. Everyone are too busy to bother about others. Cannot comment on lawyers in tier 1 firms at other cities, especially Delhi.
Yeah man, that Delhi planet is so mysterious. I wonder what it'll be like in that far away strange land.
About 10 years ago I heard of an openly gay lawyer at a Tier 1 law firm in Delhi. Sad to say, he was mocked and discriminated against. He had a life threatening disease and the firm was less than supportive. I don't know what happened to him.

I do know people in the closet in Tier 1s though.
Also part of the community and in a Tier 1 currently. These law firms are run by boomers who can be very close minded at best and bigoted at worst. It's best for your mental health that you don't become known as "that" associate . You don't have to participate in any open homophobia, but please don't be too open about something that can and will be held against you in various situations. It's sad but it's the reality.
The only honest advice here. Who are we running away from? You may partake in the Pride parade for your IG, but when homophobia is sprinkled in open during these work chats, everyone laughs.

OP - Remain in the closet for you safety and good mental health. Tier Is aren't ready as of yet. Sorry for the reality.
As a gay man who's worked at a tier one for years, I know from personal experience that it's not the best idea to reveal things until you know people better. These places are run by boomers who won't hesitate to fuck you over and even mid levels aren't above bullying, shaming, or cracking homophobic jokes. Although I've noticed more junior associates being nicer and less homophobic on average which is something?
I recently attended a webinar organised by Kco on this topic. They had a foreign lawyer as guest speaker. the firm might have posted it on socialmedia - definitely recommend it. I am yet to graduate, but I have similar concerns as well.
They only do this for social media clout. This is tokenism in my opinion. Also, why call a white lawyer who doesn't understand socio cultural contexts with respect to the lqbtq community in India. Why not invite a person from the Indian LGBTQ community to share their lived reality.
Please lay low and don’t have high expectations. I am an openly gay man and I have heard my teammates casually use homophobic slurs on team calls. Sorry for giving you bad news.
I'm not out so sometimes it's alarming to hear how casually my teammates and even EP can say homophobic stuff. I'm glad I chose not to be out at my workplace. We're decades behind other countries.
100% agree. Also one thing to be careful about is that since most people in Tier I's don't have an actual life, they are wholly interested in the lives and personal stories of their team members and peers. Be prepared for intrusive questions about your relationships, love life, and people expect you to keep them updated, no one will obviously bully you to answer, but people just don't think about these things. Just have an answer for those questions because they will come.
Intrusive questions are asked to even straight people. Or men women irrespective of gender. Are you dating? Are you married? Is your partner a lawyer? These are general questions always asked. Why would it be any different if a LGBTQ is asked the same?
You wouldn't have to worry much because people in law firms do not even have time to think about themselves. So, judging you is a far fetched task for their always filled brains. But that does not mean they're the nicest of people in terms of awareness and sensitivity.
My friends who went into firm life have mostly all gone back into the closet at work and keep their work life and social life completely separate.
Looking forward to the day when some of you who've had to be discrete about your authentic selves will run your own establishments and pave the way for others.
The coloured logo crap is suddenly a PR exercise. No one did thus last year. It's just to show look we are diverse se...because clients are diverse.
Representation matters! If every organization is clamoring to show their allyship externally, it's still a step in the right direction and is better than them not even faking being an ally. As someone who identifies as LGBTQ+, I'd be less hesitant to complain about harassment at the work place if my employer committed to upholding those values externally.
I'm not saying that the firm's actions towards inclusion should be limited to the rainbow colouring. But it is the first step....

When I was a not-so-woke student in college, I would go to pride parades simply to show solidarity and support. But that was the first step......
A 13-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 27-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
A 1-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.