Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
I have gotten a few conflicting opinions on this so I thought I would ask on here: is it necessary to take the bar if you are planning on working in a law firm?
Till the point you clear the Bar Exam, you can't sign a document as a lawyer including legal opinions written on behalf of the firm. In fact, you cannot represent yourself as a lawyer either (at least after some time when your provisional license pending AIBE results is no longer valid) to anyone. If the firm wishes to hire you as a 'consultant' and not treat your opinions as legal advice, then it is possible, but no tier one firm will do that for long.
Ask your intern to research: do person not enrolled as Advocate under Advocates Act 1961 have attorney client privilege in terms of Evidence Act. Then decide.
If you are working in a T-1 corporate law firm, do they mandate you to take the Bar Exam? If yes, is this for all practice areas or only disputes? Is there any law firm practice area that does not require Bar Council certification?
(Preferably Delhi specific answers)
There's no harm in taking the AIBE. Turn up with a bunch of bare acts and you'll pass if you have basic cognition
ahem...taking the bar is not necessary. but being at the bar after a long day at work is(hic hic)
bhay le hi lo anyone who has normal level understanding of topics in general can clear it
Just take it. It's a really easy open book exam that most people don't even study for. And they ensure that almost everyone passes. It's basically a formality. If you've done a law degree why let a silly formality come in the way of you qualifying to practice as a lawyer?
Hi, I'll be graduating in 2023 and will look to join Corporate law practices areas. Is the BCI exam mandatory to be given? If so, can I give it in 2024? Do law firms require me to have passed the BCI exam before they recruit me?
Yes, it is mandatory.

Yes, you can give it a year later, but preferably get yourself enrolled in the concerned state bar council as soon as you can. The enrollment will stay valid for some time even if you don't appear for the exam immediately.

Law firms will hire you for corporate practice even without the AIBE, but they will require you to eventually clear it.