Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
I used to go overboard for my work, treated all my cases like my babies. I did this for aorund 2 years.

Things changed. Realised it's not worth sacrificing other things in life.

Now, I do the bare minimum. I don't shy away from telling my partner that I have plans and I need to go. Not sure what's the reason but my boss has never scolded me for anything like other team members. In fact once he took my side when I was leaving "on time" and partner of another team taunted saying how come you are leaving so early! It was my partner who said- such things are earned over a period of time!
Not being a minimum guy in india law firms is setting toxic expectations that you'll never live up to. Don't let "oh you're just here for the paycheck" rubbish coerce you into giving away your mental and physical health.
Agree ji. I think I do a little more than minimum.
But, to hell with the extra brownie points for organising a BD exercise β€œvoluntarily” instead of the boss OR attending another boring covid times e-seminar! As if working at odd timings AND on weekends wasn’t enough, I hear industry friends complain and echo that coercing resources to attend seminars is disastrous to mental health! People have plans and need some time off from their screen! Team minimum through and through if that’s the cost of my own precious mental health.. πŸ’›πŸŽƒ increased screen will be the death of law firms and our precious bodies if we don’t act responsibly towards our own selves and others in the shared workplace, people!!..
Hi luls. Minimum guy here through and through. Somewhere in the middle had lost - trying to impress partners pulled long hours to send deliverables before time - but then realised it's not worth it. I will do the minimum, pay attention to detail and collect my paycheck. There are lots of our kind in these 'tier I' firms.
I am a minimum guy but my senior is not. Has made my life hell when he spends hours and makes me do the same in fixing language etc
The "minimum" standards in a law firm are so horrible, people who event try going for the extra mile either end up as insane or totally incapacitated human beings who can't do anything else in life.

It's absolutely not worth it even for the money. Law firms are digging their own graves by making zombies out of people. Work quality will suffer. The DD reports based on which mergers and acquisitions happen? Yeah, they were made by an associate who couldn't give two less ducks about it because you made him do it at 2 am in the night.
A 6-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Bare minimum and not a single bit more. No proactive newsletter writing, signing up for webinars or doing any business development BS ever. I turn up as late as I can without being fired, bill every client call (works wonders - they stop calling after the first invoice), take massive dumps on firm time, barely scrap past billing targets and have taken a nap at the client office more than once. Doing this for 8 years now and I've received every promotion on time and a good bonus across every firm I've worked at.
Boss NLU kids spending 15 lakhs on law degree in India are hardly poor. Unless you're an IDIA scholar or something, please take this rubbish elsewhere.
I agree with your overall point, but given the reputation of the top NLUs at least, it is still possible for students from the lower middle financial background to avail of educational loans and study at those places. It is true that such people are very much in the minority, but they still exist. So not every NLU student might be from well to do families. The original commentator of course was trolling, no doubt about that.
Is this question limited only to our work lives? Then hell YES. But in life, no. I give my maximum towards living the life to its fullest, and honestly, my life is certainly more than just pulling all nighters and slaving away at work. So you decide, are you a minimum guy?
A 1-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.