Read 19 comments as:
Filter By
Hey! Why are the fresher joiners at SAM called associate trainees? I know some who join as associate and some as trainees. What’s with the difference?
Bar exam qualification (foreign grads) and lesser pay makes an Associate Trainee in SAM
do you have to clear the bar exam to work in corp law firms??? nobody told me that
Interestingly, Section 29 of Advocates Act merely prohibits practicing "the profession of law", without defining what it means for one to practice law.

So, arguably, as long as you don't appear in courts, you can work in corporate law firms without being enrolled. Plus, if practice of law means something wider, then non-lawyers cannot draw up agreements for other people (which is something consultants and CAs often do).
Anybody can draw up agreements, including the parties. Profession of law includes even introducing yourself as a lawyer. You can't write a legal opinion in your own name unless you are recognised by the BCI. Nor can the firm show your billing to the clients as that by an associate.
What are you on? You don't clear the bar exam for any of this. The exam has to be passed within 2 years of enrollment. And one needs to be enrolled to claim privilege under the Evidence Act. Which is why corp firms also insist on lawyers being enrolled. Now I know why such a gulf exists between the top law schools and the rest.
You cannot do any of those after 2 years are over, genius! You have a provisional license for those 2 years. If you fail to clear the exam by then, and you still continue to write a legal opinion in your own name, then you are opening yourself to legal actions. Of course, that is only if someone reports you, and you don't have the necessary contacts to smooth things over. Feel free to test it anytime. Please show me a single lawyer working in law firms but not having cleared the bar exam even after 2 years from their graduation ever since it has become mandatory. No firm will take that risk with you. Feel free to revel in your 'top law school' education and remain oblivious of realities. You are not even entitled to lawyer client privilege if you are not recognised as a lawyer.
Actually you can't stay enrolled after 2 years if you have failed to clear the exam by then. The enrollment is provisional subject to doing that. That's the bit about BCI recognition that I think the other guy was referring to. Of course, no state bar would take action against you voluntarily because they would lose a voting member in the process. But if BCI acts on someone else's formal complaint, then you are screwed.
You don't need to clear the exams within 2 years - you can clear it anytime. BCI has clarified also in a circular.
Can you point out this circular please? Date, link anything would do. Thanks in advance!
If you can clear it anytime, then why have an exam to begin with? That's mighty strange. You mean to say that I can practise for 30 years without clearing it? Or that the BCI said that you don't have to clear it within a certain period of time, but would only be recognized as an advocate after you clear it?
They have a separate research wing. Couple of bright minds work there.
It’s a cheap hiring technique buddy. Usually adopted by many other firms also