Read 18 comments as:
Filter By
So I've been applying to many firms as an intern.
Out of the blue one has replied with a positive response but they require a writing sample of mine.
here is a thing, I have mooted and debated a lot but I have never indulged in writing a research paper or article of any sort, primarily because I find no passion or motivation to write mindlessly.

although a lot of people jump to the bandwagon of writing papers and stuff after covid, i did not do it as it would just amount to cat race.

NOW big question, how can I help myself securing that internship?? please someone help me! I have won best memorial but that won't count. what can I do? I cannot lose the internship.

PLEASEEEE
Doesn't have to be published work, even well written research assignments will do. Else, drink the darkest, strongest coffee you can find, sit down at your laptop and don't leave till you have a 900 word, well researched, well drafted writeup ready. No pee breaks allowed
Hahaha, touche. Loved the fact that you take the mickey on this guy without really blasting him.
Well I don't think that would be relevant for them to know.
I don't have passion to write just to get it published on journals which I find fruitless excercise and with no constant interaction.
But I do agree that they need to know if I can analyse and write up a piece of law/issue.
I do hold my views but can't say it to them since it can affect my chances.
Plus, I never said my writing and research skill are not up to mark.
So I should not bell the cat?
Sir, here is β€œthe” thing. You jump β€œon” a bandwagon. You write β€œon” a piece of law/issue.

You publish β€œin” journals. Actually, you don’t publish. The publisher publishes. All you need to do is write.
They need a writing sample, not a published paper. Surely you have got student projects of your own throughout the years? Spruce the best of those up a little, update it, and send it across. Would do the job. They want to see whether you can express your thoughts cogently and coherently, that's all. At least that's what I expect when I ask potential interns for writing samples. Anything on top of that would be a bonus, like the paper having been published, or bringing forth a particularly interesting legal argument.
You can try converting your moot memorial arguments into a writing piece with additional research. That'd be your best bet, I believe.
could you tell which area of issue/law would be better?
-OTT laws
-International Tax
-Force Majeure-Covid Impact on a contractual obligation
-Environment Act-Teething problems
-Taxability of bitcoin

if you can suggest a topic on lines of these areas would also work for me.
Honestly, it would depend on the kind of firm or the team you had applied to. I wouldn't send a writeup on the taxability of cryptocurrency if I had applied for the dispute resolution team. Likewise, choose a topic that shows you are interested in the sector you had applied for.
Depends on what you are better at:

- Better at simplifying and writing in a concise and lucid manner, choose something esoteric/ niche or new and interesting (like taxing of bitcoin). The reader may not know much but you may generate interest in yourself.

- Better at research, pick something more traditional - but remember firms will have a lot of practical experience on something like force maj in covid times so you need to be very sure of what you are writing. It can't be an experimental piece. If your analysis doesn't work in real life, they will know.

Good luck.
Boss listen I gave myself the same lame excuses that I was above the crowd and didn't write because I would write once I had quality out put and wouldn't be part of the race.
I was being lazy and was rationalizing. Get off the high horse and start writing. It's a useful activity.
Agree with the comments here. But curious - which firm is this? None asked me for a writing sample ever. :o
are you sure?
I won't offend the concerned person by doing it?
or should I ask them irst?
Nope. Just edit your moot memo a bit and send it across. Should do, if you've written it well enough.
I would always use my college projects. I would normally prepare all my projects myself so it was easy. Unless youll copy paste or take seniors projects, this is the best option
@Kian, please have bifurcation among posts. Some of us are already troubled with our law firm lives and come to legally india to see some relevant news and firm's gossip. I'm sure a lot of us are not interested in college students chores and their struggle with internships and jobs but the new post section is flooded with their posts and we miss out the new comments on the relevant posts. Please try to include categorisation