Read 21 comments as:
Filter By
How many live transactions are senior associates / PAs working on simultaneously? What is the norm for foreign law firms?
I'm working on 6 right now. All at different stages though. Ps- I am not from a top tier firm.
Arre bhai number of transaction mat dekho sirf. Heavy matter hai dono, 1 ka workload 5 ke barabar.
How can you say that when you have not even worked on 5 deals simultaneously? A0s I tell you...
Seven. Sleeping & eating are designed to slow you down. I'm very happy with my boss & my life.
For Banking and Finance, I'd say you're staffed on 4 - 8/10 live deals at a time (depending on the busy-ness levels) and how well your team is structured.

I'm on 3 matters that're closing before June 30, plus 3 other deals that're in progress but don't look like they'll get done in the next 12 days. Plus another 4-5 where we're either doing the diligence or which are in the CP/CS completion stage. This excludes the advisory work (Just sent a memo out to last week where we are expecting the foreign client to come back with a bunch of follow on queries).
That sounds like constantly doing some urgent task or the other!!!! How do you manage this in long term?
You don't. You keep lateraling around till you make SA/PA, save up some money and go join one of your clients for a 30% pay cut.
Thank you for your reply Sir. I myself worked in a B&F team for about 2 years and found it unsustainable!! I thought it was just me. (2018 graduate)
I used to do two transactions a year, now we do three a week. Currently on 9 transactions, all are on fire.
Judging someone by the number of live transactions is like judging someone by the number of hours he/she put in for the board exams. Each transaction is different. Sometimes one transaction (like the Jio Platforms deal) can consume your entire bandwidth.
The idea isn't to judge but to get a sense of how many matters is one expected to juggle at a time.. are you allowed to say no can't handle more than what I have on my plate. Wonder if smaller firms are better when it comes to being mindful of what one associate can handle instead of dumping them with so much that none of it gets done well and you end up with a disgruntled associate (most of us).
Nope, smaller firms are worse sometimes because they never have enough people, but always want every deal on the market, so you're paid less and working more than Tier 1 guys in M&A deals
Depends on the firm. One team firms are actually the best because they're very well aware of max bandwith.
Yes you are allowed to say. Say it and bear the consequences if any. There’s always a choice.
Am I the only tier 1 junior looking forward for the Fed to raise rates and finally bring some slowdown in this emerging/inflated economy?