Read 36 comments as:
Filter By
In law school days JSA was discussed among the other elite law firms like CAM and Khaitan as a Tier 1 firm. But is JSA still a Tier 1? Their deal sizes are tiny (check LI table) compared to those who are actually tier 1.

Most funny yet is their retainer amount. A0s at JSA start at 60 to 80k pm, which is a fraction of what other law firms pay. My batchmates in JSA at A3-4 level make around 1.2 per month, which is a big step down from actual tier one firms.

So can a law firm with small deal presence and negligible pay packages still claim to be tier one? what makes a law firm a tier one firm? JSA insiders could maybe shed some light? Are you guys happy with what you're paid and the career growth working on smaller deals?
If your batchmates in JSA at A3-4 level tell you that they earn only around 1.2 per month, they are doing it only to make you pay the entire bill at the pub.. believe me they are earning much more.. make friends who do not mind paying for their drink...
If you take that into account for a high revenue team - you will be one of the highest earning corporate lawyers in India.
Base pay may be lower than market rates but if you factor in the eight per cent revenue sharing, JSA pay is leaps and bounds ahead of any other law firm, if you're in a team that makes decent money.
Jsa is top tier 1 and a firm ahead of its time.tell if your supposedly elite CAM does profit share at associate level.
Does jsa give 8 pc billling share to the junior associates as well?
Agreed with above.

Billed more than a crore a year and that is 8 lakhs in 8% plus bonus is another 4 -5 lakhs. Salary is another 14.4 so average is 24 to 26 lakhs as A2. 27/28 as A3.

Don't believe everything that your friend says.
A3 here. I take home around 1.9k a month with bill share. Don't throw false news around.
Assuming you mean 1.9 L and not k, this is well under market. Other firms offer about 1.8 to 2 plus about 7-10L in bonus, which can get to about 30L. Assuming 1.9x12 plus 4 L bonus, this is 26.8, which is about 10% below market standards. And since this billshare comes whenever the clients pay, this pinches on a monthly basis to deal with expenses and plan financials.
Seems you cut a sad deal for yourself. I'm an A3 in JSA and I took home 34L last year.
You will make a lot of money if:

you are in Sidharth Shankar or Rupinder s team in Gurgaon.

Or

Aashit Shah's team in Bombay.

Or

Probir's or Sajai's team in Bangalore

These teams make atleast 30% above the median.
This is Venky erasure, he makes a lot of money, as does Vishnu and his team.
Either you are not at JSA or you just joined and dont know much (yet) - no offense. Because, what you say is only partly true. Dont want to give out too many details for so many good billing EPs, but (for instance) lag raha hai tumne Venky ki billing k bare me nai suna abhi :)
JSA salary partners promoted last year make upward of a crore p.a. Doesn’t that more than makeup for lower pay in the initial years?
Its horrible to work in Sid / Rupinder's team. Only God can save you.
Certainly tier 1 with SA who are willing to work making 46 to 50 lacs in the second year.
Excellent compact team with quite high profitability since majority of the billing is in USD. The revenue per attorney is high and consequently the take home is good with the bill share.
Can anybody tell about Nitin Potdar?? How does his billings and team profile looks like?
what is the current pay and workculture at JSA Bangalore? Is it worth joining?
Please someone apply to Manvinder's team also. We are dying with work. Good money. Decent seniors/bosses.
JSA is TOPMOST Tier 1.heres what I have heard(most associates remember fondly or speak well mostly of JSA)...

Its lala culture exists, but is a tad lesser autocratic compared to other lala tier 1 law firms.Its one of the very few offering a percentage of commission to associates.

Its deal volumes are lesser to other aggressive Tier 1s but value wise enough for Tier 1 category status.

Their culture is less aggressive and thus less toxic compared to other Tier 1s.new management though is constantly supposedly falling short of old management's standards.

Its 100 times better than many of these other so called "Tier 1" law firms that are chor law firms who scam their own clients and their own employees.

They dont engage in outright criminal tactics and perverted filthy practices like cheap law firms and advocates.
I'm a client and I agree with the rest, but not necessarily the last part, but that's just the rules of the game haha.
Can someone shed any insight how it is to work in Anupam Sir's team in the New Delhi office, salary wise and generally?
Not the best team. Work is decent, but partners are hugely overbearing and usually quite inconsiderate.