Read 45 comments as:
Filter By
I have come across a 3rd year student with 50+ publications and tier -1 internships. Is it only me or these guys are just hustling and no 'life'ing? If you know more such people drop in their name and LinkedIn profiles for some late night motivation ;)
How do these people even manage to accomplish these feats is honestly beyond me. Any law school gunner who wants to share some tips with us mere mortals?
You go and message this [...] guy up. Helped me once. Not arrogant like others.
What did he say exactly? Did he say he writes all the time? Honest question.
He just said that he pens down his general class discussion + things happening around him. Plus, he told me to watch expert discussions where they discuss these topics and then pen down those as pointers. Also some other talks. He seemed to me like a genuine guy. The other guy from 3rd year was a bit arrogant though.
Just to clarify:

[Their] publications are nothing but a paraphrased version of articles published on Gautam Bhatia's blog, Kluwer arbitration, IndiCorp and many others. One recent eg is [their] case analysis of Pravin electricals which as copied, para by para, line by line from the one published on Kluwer.
This is exactly what I wanted to fact check via Turnitin but Kian stood in the way of catching academic frauds.
Actually, Kian did not. There is nothing that prevents you from doing your own research and finding something that is there in the public domain already.
Not necessarily. He is not allowing his platform to be the place where you can get the data from. He has got all the rights to do that.
This made me curious so I checked and even though I felt it was indeed paraphrased at first, I soon realised that the parts which looked identical were actually the cases referred in the actual judgment. Also, the articles ended on different notes. Maybe I am wrong, but still I feel its mud slinging eventually.
If someone has got 50 publications while still in their 3rd year, most of those are unlikely to be the product of any quality research, and are unlikely to have added any value in terms of scholarship. That's just a statement of fact. You need to time and effort to produce good research and scholarship. Very few people produce more than 2-3 quality papers in a year in the legal domain.
Absolutely. Most will be in predatory journals or websites like legalserviceindia.
2-3 quality papers per year is nearly impossible. Even for professors in the QS top 50 who are legendary (non-US)* and churn out great publications, the requirement to meet expectations is 3 publications every 4 years. When you are at the top of the food chain like that, trust me: 'expectations' are pretty damn high.

*The US is exceptional in the sense that you can churn out publications faster since their journals are student-edited and (mostly) non-peer-reviewed. The US papers are therefore unnaturally long (conciseness is quality) and kind of 'sensational'. While writing for a US journal one has to keep in mind how it will seem interesting to a second-year JD student.
Not to mention the rivulet of main text atop an ocean of speaking footnotes. 60 pages! That is a kind of puffery I have yet to see more pretentiously done. Yuck.
Doesn't matter
Make your own road.
Publication doesn't count, if I give you a work and could not do it.
Dont go after these numbers. There are a lot of them who have written articles on matters of Criminal Procedure, IPC in their first years which are plainly paraphrased. This does no good other than some linkedin visibility.
One quality publication in a reputed journal is more than enough to get you to places. Even Oxbridge and Ivy League.
I mean to anyone who had actually held down a day job in the field- this screams scam. You’re supposed to have 50 good publications when you’re nearing the end of your career. If you have them so soon- I’d bet money they’re mostly trash. And internships aren’t about collecting certificates either - they’re about improving skills and becoming valuable to a potential employer.
I came across one 2nd year guy form a 3rd tier NLU with 70 publications (with some at really prestigious international platforms like Oxford, Harvard, so forth), research fellowships, tier firm internships and what now. I guess he was also the batch topper. I mean how do they even do this much? I am from a tier 1 NLU and my life is already paced up with assignments - lol. Is it true that 3rd tier NLUs don't have much tasks to allow these people to do so much? I am clueless. His name was some Rajas or something.
I heard a law student with 20ish articles in good places was found to have plagiarized most of them. The university took strict action and now they have 2-3 pieces only. Feel kinda sorry for them but hey His judgment cometh and that right soon.
If someone could name who this is, I would love to run his/her papers through Turnitin.
[Moderator: LinkedIn profile link redacted] - I guess this is the guy
Why did you remove the name mod? I need it to run Turnitin checks on the guy. The LinkedIn profile is in public space, isn't it?
It does seem like a bad idea to encourage anonymously tracking down law students who have good CVs and then seeing if it's possible to poke holes in or criticise their CV?

Please keep it civil, at the end of the day, everyone will have a different approach, capacities and priorities in how they approach their legal careers, and some might succeed and achieve what they're looking for or find careers that fulfil them.

Suffice it to say, to aid the general discussion, the shared LinkedIn link was of a law student with voluminous CV of work experience, internships, positions, honours and publications. And without digging too deeply, the list of 50+ publications does seem to look like it's with real publications and potentially legit.

In short, purely by the quantity it is impressive and one does wonder how there are enough hours in the day. Then again, some people barely sleep and have boundless energy, drive and purpose, and it certainly does not seem impossible.

But more importantly, don't try to measure your own worth against others - do what you like to do, explore the career options you find interesting, push yourself out of your comfort zone to write articles and do internships and volunteer and other positions that you think are valuable, and a career and job will find you sooner or later. Even without 50+ publications, guaranteed!
Take your witch hunt somewhere else. If that guy is so bad, he will not succeed in life. Period. You dont have to play jury or judge.
I just wish to supply the evidence, more like an amicus. I do not see myself as either the judge or the jury. Happy to supply screenshots here for you to be the latter.
I like how the moderator removed the link from this comment but posted it regardless, making the comment completely pointless but still worthy of being published
kaun hai woh?
name it.
also LI should not have any problem in it.
when the names of partners of a law firms are openly discussed and stuff.
We've always had different policies regarding the naming of students or more junior associates (as in, if in doubt, we don't name them), as opposed to law firm partners or senior lawyers, for instance.
In that case, do not allow posts on here that try to up those who can't be fact-checked.
Also, these are adults who advertise their expertise via LinkedIn. Surely they can be audited.
Also, guys, don't think it's a good sign purely because they had A LOT OF FREE TIME and flexibility as compared to campus kids in their 1&2 year.
1&2 year kids who were really fond of publication could only have almost like 2-3 publications to their name in a year but with lockdown and some stupid start and career coaches "who themselves are in their 3rd, 4th, and final year" have just giving such advice.
people who are just collecting information/data from other sources and keeping information on their websites and LinkedIn, when they got an engagement as you ought to. they became an overnight CV builder and career coach.
please [...] don't be hard upon yourselves.
[...]
why is it censored?
what is this censorship at your will attitude kian? wth?
Really unfortunate that there are more people pulling down the efforts than those supporting the kids.

50 publications or 1, they are working hard. Their publications aren't comments on LI.
1. Not kids!!! Surely as a lawyer, you need to have an idea of the term adult and its legal meaning.

2. If the writings of these adults - who advertise them on LinkedIn, a professional space - are genuine writings, then I applaud them. However, if you Kian blocks any attempts to fact-check them then I can only imagine that he (who might have seen a write-up or two given he had access to the link shared before blocking it) felt that the truth will be uncovered and fraud at the student level caught. And we all know that if Kian loses his following among law students, then it will be catastrophic for him.

3. I looked up the LinkedIn of a name shared in the comments above. Name, not link. That person has made his profile inaccessible now. I can only see the institution name now, no publication details. Tell me that I was onto something here.

4. Read 2.1.2, someone else was able to access the publication on what I assume is one of these stellar students.

Merit everywhere needs to be applauded, and fraud everywhere deserves to be laid bare.
focus on your grades, and academics first. everything else can be built around that. Also, chill the frak bro/sis. Enjoy your college days, what's left of them, they won't come back.
It is easy to have the 'crusader-looking-for-a-cause' mentality when you're battling demons with your own self esteem. Social media and the internet has made it very easy for people to exhibit expertise and success without necessarily achieving it. The internet is a place where everyone likes to put up a highlights reel of their life (professional or personal). People put up exactly what they think will make them look successful or knowledgeable.

Judging yourself versus the highlights reel of someone else's life is unfair to yourself.