Read 49 comments as:
Filter By
Nalsar: Mihira Sood, Malavika Raghavan, Shwetha Ballakrishnen, Suhasini Sen, Sakshi Sawhney.

Note that all 5 are women. You may not see that at the other NLUs.
I know two of those named above. Happened to share the institutional space with them. [...]

What's path-breaking about either?

Further, happy to have the latter named as she at least cleared a competitive exam to work in the state apparatus (as mainstream as it may be). [...]

PS: The idea of having another such list creating mini-celebrities is ipso facto problematic.
Other than Sakshi Sawhney, why the others? What is pathbreaking in getting international degrees or working with international firms? Every year people from Nalsar are able to do that. If being an AoR is the standard, every batch has some 5-6.
Why though? This super star culture adds zero value to anyone’s life.
NLUJ Batch of 2011 - Ambeicka Pandit

She recently won the National Award for the best short fiction film.
Yes, Kian must tell us why every random law firm promotion is covered but not something like an NLU grad winning a freaking National Award!!
Avinandan Kundu (NUJS 2016) has gone on to become an incredible chef at Sienna in Calcutta and the food does all the talking. He is going to go places!
My 5 from NUJS are A Khanna (Ropes & Gray), J Shergill (Congress), L Chatterjee (BJP), S Dam (academics) and H Poddar (IPS).
Ropes & Gray fo sho isn't path breaking. It's a foreign law firm. A law firm job is the definition of "regular" path. LOTS of alumni in them (domestic/ foreign).

Similar issue with some other names. Wonder if this was written by someone in this list.
It could have been you, from any law university, if only you utilized your time better instead of this stupid college comparison all the time
Rafa Nadal, Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Lio Messi, Stephen Curry, Kevin Durant, Ronaldo, etc etc..

(ps. grow up kid, nobody gives a rat's ass about banal law graduates)
NLSIU

Shamnad Basheer. The most respected man ever. RIP respected Sir. Infosys Awardee, IP Professor.
No disrespect to Shamnad but the OP specifically did not include NLSIU in the topic smh. You don't always have to make it about yourselves
Everyone knows about Shamnad and other NLSIU alum. People like the film director girl from NLUJ and chef from NUJS need to be highlighted more.
Sorry, but why are we celebrating people in careers with zero connection with the law? Careers in IAS and politics are fine as there is law involved, but not cooking !!! I really can't understand why someone would do this. They just wasted their law degrees and the seat could have gone to someone else who would have practised law.
Because there isn't anything to "celebrate" about lawyers (those who stuck to law)
Because the OP asked for 'pathbreaking' careers. Nothing pathbreaking in IAS and politics in fact.
The entire point is "Someone's college moulded them into the person they are, and that helped them do great things". A national award-winning film maker is a big deal, and should be celebrated.

Also, this nonsense about "wasting a law degree" has to stop. They don't owe anyone anything, and they don't owe you anything, least of all an obligation to continue in law. They were good enough to get into an institute, they successfully graduated from there, and its up to them what they want to do with their degree and their life.

I would, rather, applaud them for ignoring tunnel-visioned critics and doing things that make them happy.

PS- your naivete is showing. IAS and Politics, you hardly use your legal skills. For that matter, you rarely use "legal" skills in corporate law, either. You use your judgment, your experience, and your worldview. How a court will review and interpret a particular clause or section is often the last thing on anyone's mind.

If someone is using the skills that law has given them, and if they are doing unconventional things with it, we want to celebrate them.
A 11-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
Why??? What is the need.
Get something else to kill your time and not into meaningless shit.
A 52-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.
I know you have not included CLC, but Ruchi Deepak, co-founder of Acko
Ashwin Madhavan from GNLU is the biggest role model for thinking out of the box. From a lawyer he has become a technology entrepreneur.
From NALSAR Hyderabad β€˜10 - Vaibhav Ganjiwala. Super connected and very helpful. I dont know what Kian means by Pathbreaking, but this guy helped me get my first job. And a great mentor.
I am not from a NLU.
Yes, Kian should define pathbreaking. On the one hand he only hypes law firms but now he wants a list of people shining in non-law firm careers πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
From nalsar :

Anup S - Started the fantastic project 39A.
Raadhika Gupta - started the foodshaala foundation.
And for those who know firsthand the great grassroots work he's doing, Sidharth Sihag - IAS.
For Law School, it would be - Sudhir (VC, FB Oversight Board), GSanks (from the SC bar), Matthan/Karan Singh/Gorthi (Trilegal founders), Aparna Ray (first diplomat/Head of Mission Islamabad possibly one of the most sensitive postings in all of government), Shamnad (social justice).
If the criteria is "pathbreaking alumni", then Nags to Riches has identified a solid list. Couldn't disagree. Other NLUs are not in a comparable league, yet.
This thread is about NON-NLSIU alumni precisely to see if anyone is on their path to emulate the NLSIU legends. From the looks of it, only a few.
This thread is about jobless people trying to live vicariously through others' achievements without ever having any of their own. In fact, most LI conversations are the same.
not to derail a non-Law School convo, but that's a very poor 'representative list". There are enough comments on this site about Greatest Bestest Law School Alumni Ever Born, go take a look at them
Swetha Ballakrishnan
Swathi Sukumar
Mihira Sood
Lekha Sridhar
Danish Sheikh
I would not put Danish is in the same category. He is a lot younger than them and needs more time to prove himself. But the others are spot on Swetha is an academic star. Swathi is a litigation star. Lekha and Mihira are a mix of academic and practice stars (Mihira taught and Jindal and is doing a PhD at LSE, while Lekha was a Humboldt scholar).
GNLU: Shriya Maini, Sameer Rashid Bhat, Hatim Hussain, Ashwin Madhavan, Shashwat Patel
Shashank Agarwal - NLUJ, 2009 batch. First from a national aw school to successfully contest bar election (Rajasthan HC).
Lawremce Liang and the horny guy from nalsar who got caught taking upskirt pics.
A 15-word comment posted 2 years ago was not published.