Read 32 comments as:
Filter By
Which is the easiest Practice area for a law student interning in a Tier 1 Law Firm?
Some areas - Project Finance & Private Equity are said to be complex. Which is the team where the chance of getting a PPO is also high?
Hey, Thanks.

Does it pay well (same as others) Career Progression? And chances of a PPO?
You must be living in a La La land where labour and employment laws practice in a Tier 1 law firm is easy. Try navigating through the web of around 45 central laws with state rules, state specific laws, some gazillion ancient notifications under these laws (which cannot be found even on the dark web) and of course the multiple views of courts. Now the laws are being replaced and consolidated, guess who is burning the midnight oil (nothing new in that though) and pulling their hair apart - Yes, the lawyers practicing labour and employment law in firms across India.
I would second that. Every state in this country operates differently and HCs taking different views. Labour Law is extensive and vague to another level. Try GC, good exposure and you can easily switch to in-house.
HR.
just sleep over all the internship mail all day all over.

while law firm possibly abuse human rights law by making lawyer do EXTRA work, they negate it by hiring HRs.
There is no such thing as easiest practice area in a Tier 1 Law Firm, bruv.
Easiest i don’t know but toughest surely would be regulatory practice.
any regulatory issue which requires dealing or getting favourable view from the regulator.
Easiest practice would depend on the office really. Generally back offices are a bit more relaxed. If the team youre working on has its partner/ senior partner working off a diff office/ city, then the burden is usually lower than what would be in other teams
laborious as in mostly grunt work. very little application of mind required.
Relatively speaking, less cumbersome practices will be Energy and Infra, Corporate. Toughest one is the Indirect Tax practice-besides the complexity of tax laws, in the indirect tax domain everyday there are so many new notifications, circulars, numerous case laws from advance ruling authorities, courts, etc., which makes it the most dynamic area of law.
To add to it, the domain of indirect tax is extensive- right from imports to foreign trade policy and export control regulations to GST to the erstwhile excise/ service tax/ VAT regime, and the hundreds and thousands of notifications/ circulars issued under each of them- dating back to the 1940s, which are amended/ substituted almost daily. You also need to understand numbers, accounts and operational structure of businesses. Avoid this practice if you can (considering most Indian law students don't have a clue about numbers/ accounting)
There is a reason the doyens of the bar are also tax practitioners. Palkhivala, Salve, Datar, etc.. Its a twisted practice with a monstrous learning curve. Can't survive unless some one is constantly thinking about it.
Hi my dude - CAPITAl MARKETS. Super fucking easy.

I'd be more than happy to introduce you to the geniuses who work in the KCO and SAM bangalore capital markets teams.
I am amazed that nobody else brought up capital markets. Literally the least lawyer-y practice area in the whole industry. One of the cap mark teams in my old firm used to divide work between the fresher associate and the team secretary, since almost all of it was clerical in nature.
Arbitration practice at singh and associates. No application of brain
List of dates banao and SA ban jao. Not implying that they can make an LOD properly.